How big is the gap between MVP and Cornell in regards to job Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
showNprove

Silver

Re: How big is the gap between MVP and Cornell in regards to job

Post by showNprove » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:36 pm

twistedwrister wrote:Congrats on your job, and I understand where you're coming from. I have no reason to doubt that UVA's OCS is working hard to get its students jobs. I just think they are handicapping themselves by failing to gather easily accessible employment data from their students. Let me give you a real-life example. A buddy of mine at NYU struck out during 2L EIW. He didn't take the initiative to go to OCS because he was embarrased and thought he could find a job on his own (mass mailing, etc.). Because he submitted an employment survey to OCS, OCS knew he was still looking for a job, where he was looking, what firms had already turned him down, etc. They reached out to him when they became aware of an opening that matched his qualifications (GPA, location, etc.), and he got the job. OCS couldn't have done this without surveying the students.
I understand where you're coming from as well. I've also seen/heard of instances at UVA where the OCS has reached out to students, unsolicited, under similar circumstances. Maybe it could be better done with survey information. There's always room for improvement, of course, but I have no complaints about my experience, and I haven't heard any from my classmates--including the ones still looking for jobs.

Now, if you asked in 2009, there would be plenty of complaints.

Veyron

Gold

Re: How big is the gap between MVP and Cornell in regards to job

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:23 pm

Much as I love to troll for Penn, UVA career services office does have an excellent reputation. If its an "opinion" its very widely held. Now, the way they run OGI. . .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”