How big is the gap between MVP and Cornell in regards to job Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rory1987

Bronze

How big is the gap between MVP and Cornell in regards to job

Post by Rory1987 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:16 pm

prospects? I ask, because I'm in at one of MVP and in at Cornell. However, I think that I prefer Cornell to MVP for a variety of reasons. Is the drop off that large, that I would be insane to take Cornell over MVP if they don't throw any significant money at me? Also, how big is the drop off to GULC?

Edited for boo boo
Last edited by Rory1987 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oscodasa

Bronze

Re: How big is the gap between MVP and Cornell in regards to job

Post by oscodasa » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Rory1987 wrote:prospects? I ask, because I'm in at one of MVP and I expect to be in at Cornell. However, I think that I prefer Cornell to MVP for a variety of reasons. Is the drop off that large, that I would be insane to take Cornell over MVP if they don't throw any significant money at me? Also, how big is the drop off to GULC?
I'm intereted in this as well.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:24 pm

The impression I get from TLS is that Cornell placed about around 1/3 of their class in biglaw this last OCI and MVP placed about 1/2 of their class.

I could easily be wrong about that.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Rory1987 wrote:prospects? I ask, because I'm in at one of MVP and I expect to be in at Cornell. However, I think that I prefer Cornell to MVP for a variety of reasons. Is the drop off that large, that I would be insane to take Cornell over MVP if they don't throw any significant money at me? Also, how big is the drop off to GULC?
Not sure. I definitely think job prospects are slightly better at MVP but i think its slight. On every NLJ250 chart I've seen cornell is about 5-10% behind MVP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:29 pm

bump

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:29 pm

Rory1987 wrote:bump
???

I am pretty sure my video provides the best answer you will get on this subject.

Kidding aside, imho I would go to whichever one offered money (if any), or to MVP if you aren't set on gunning for NYC big law. I read somewhere that Cornell's lackluster placement was due in part to their reliance on the NYC big market. Again, this is all from a clueless 0L. I think there is a lot to be said, especially when their is at best a mini-tier between the two, of choosing the school/city/culture you would most enjoy attending/living/being a part of for 3 years.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:32 pm

I think MVP actually might place on par with Cornell in NYC, or even better in P's case. Everywhere else (except maybe Boston, which is a weird and tough legal market), PMV wins, in that order.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Verity wrote: Everywhere else (except maybe Boston, which is a weird and tough legal market), PMV wins, in that order.
Do you have employment statistics to back this up? Talk about splitting hairs. I imagine the small difference between MVP placement statistics is due to self-selection.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:41 pm

Verity wrote:I think MVP actually might place on par with Cornell in NYC, or even better in P's case. Everywhere else (except maybe Boston, which is a weird and tough legal market), PMV wins, in that order.
Data? or the typical unsupported fictitious assertion?

Edited to point out that a 0L is making claims regarding the employment placement of various schools within a narrow grouping. Why do 0L's bother making all these unsubstantiated claims? It doesn't help anyone and has the potential to hurt people who don't know better than to check someone's profile or past posts to see whether or not they have any basis for making claims.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:31 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Verity wrote:I think MVP actually might place on par with Cornell in NYC, or even better in P's case. Everywhere else (except maybe Boston, which is a weird and tough legal market), PMV wins, in that order.
Data? or the typical unsupported fictitious assertion?

Edited to point out that a 0L is making claims regarding the employment placement of various schools within a narrow grouping. Why do 0L's bother making all these unsubstantiated claims? It doesn't help anyone and has the potential to hurt people who don't know better than to check someone's profile or past posts to see whether or not they have any basis for making claims.
Without outing myself or people I know, my uncle is a senior partner at a V25 firm in NYC, and my aunt is also partner at a V100 in NYC. I asked them about this, and this was an educated guess on their part. As far as data goes, there isn't much to be found. LSN shows the number of firms that participate in OCI for each school and from what region:

Cornell:
Total Law Firms: 321
NY Law Firms: 82
DC Law Firms: 34
CA Law Firms: 57

UVA:
Total Law Firms: 724
NY Law Firms: 99
DC Law Firms: 100
CA Law Firms: 104

Michigan:
Total Law Firms: 622
NY Law Firms: 88
DC Law Firms: 69
CA Law Firms: 115

Penn:
Total Law Firms: 564
NY Law Firms: 108
DC Law Firms: 75
CA Law Firms: 88

Data on LSN however might not be of the best quality. I'm substantiating these claims with the best info that is available to me. I did not say that any of the four are vastly superior to the rest.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:42 pm

lol. Two-thirds of Penn's class goes to NYC or Philly. If by "Penn does better than Michigan and Virginia everywhere" you really meant to say "Penn does better than Michigan and Virginia in Philadelphia," then yes, you would be correct.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:43 pm

Your supposed 'data' doesn't support your proposition. You argued that the best order for big law is PMV. You then provide some random numbers, provided with little context, which, if anything, do not support your argument.

So, again, try to provide some sort of substantiation for your proposition that (a) there is a difference between MVP and (b) that the order is as you suggest it should be. Otherwise, don't post that sort of crap.

NB - I'm attacking your assertions, not because I attend UVA, but rather because I'm a big believer in MVP (and DN) being peer schools that people should choose between based on fit, not based on these random 0L assertions about which is better for big law.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Yeah, actually I made a mistake: meant to write VMP, not PMV.

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:23 am

The gap is noticeable....not easy to quanitfy becasue of connections and what else...but definteley noticeable. Cornell is closer to the top dog of WUSTL/GW/BU/UCLA/Texas than comparable to Mich/NU/UVA/Duke...Vandy should also be in the Duke/Mich crowd and UVA/NU are probably obove for Biglaw placement--Mich is being hurt by its location now more than ever---its tough to compete it New York vs NYU/Comubie and the rest and in Chicago vs NU/CHI now more than ever--Mich will drop because of this in this economy. Anyways---difference is noticeable and Vandy would be a much better option than Cornell if you want firm placement.

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Snape wrote:The gap is noticeable....not easy to quanitfy becasue of connections and what else...but definteley noticeable. Cornell is closer to the top dog of WUSTL/GW/BU/UCLA/Texas than comparable to Mich/NU/UVA/Duke...Vandy should also be in the Duke/Mich crowd and UVA/NU are probably obove for Biglaw placement--Mich is being hurt by its location now more than ever---its tough to compete it New York vs NYU/Comubie and the rest and in Chicago vs NU/CHI now more than ever--Mich will drop because of this in this economy. Anyways---difference is noticeable and Vandy would be a much better option than Cornell if you want firm placement.
Really?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Snape wrote:Vandy would be a much better option than Cornell if you want firm placement.
Much better at equal cost? You cannot be serious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:22 pm

Most of this thread seems to be filled with gibberish? Like... we're trying to quibble over the relative placement strength of Michigan, Virginia, and Penn? And we're claiming Vanderbilt is basically a T10 school?

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Snape wrote:The gap is noticeable....not easy to quanitfy becasue of connections and what else...but definteley noticeable. Cornell is closer to the top dog of WUSTL/GW/BU/UCLA/Texas than comparable to Mich/NU/UVA/Duke...Vandy should also be in the Duke/Mich crowd and UVA/NU are probably obove for Biglaw placement--Mich is being hurt by its location now more than ever---its tough to compete it New York vs NYU/Comubie and the rest and in Chicago vs NU/CHI now more than ever--Mich will drop because of this in this economy. Anyways---difference is noticeable and Vandy would be a much better option than Cornell if you want firm placement.
I think this is speculation in regards to Umich. I am sure it is less of an advantage. But schools like UVA and Duke are equally far from NYC and don't feed so strongly into the extremely tough DC market. I don't think mich is suffering because of its location, more the poor advice last year about avoiding NYC which is hopefully corrected. I think mich students self selection is a major factor as I think the people who go there are not going to be focused on any one market as opposed to most of the other t-14. I do agree the location hurts somewhat but not in a way that makes it any different then UVA. NU gets a boost because firms like work experience I don't think its location is significantly responsible for that. I also don't think vandy would be better then cornell. Maybe comparable, possibly better if you want the southeast, worse for NYC.

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:50 pm

For Bigfirm placement Vandy is much more aligned to Mich/NU/Penn/UVA/Duke and better than Cornell--just look at date--I dont really care or have anything for Vandy--its just basic knowledge of bigfirm placement and data. And NU's better placment in Chicago is also its location and ability to network and clearly be in Chicago. Mich is like UVA...totally agree. UVA has DC however and Mich has detroit.

Juff

New

Post by Juff » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:25 pm

Snape wrote:For Bigfirm placement Vandy is much more aligned to Mich/NU/Penn/UVA/Duke and better than Cornell--just look at date--I dont really care or have anything for Vandy--its just basic knowledge of bigfirm placement and data.
...source?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Juff wrote:
Snape wrote:For Bigfirm placement Vandy is much more aligned to Mich/NU/Penn/UVA/Duke and better than Cornell--just look at date--I dont really care or have anything for Vandy--its just basic knowledge of bigfirm placement and data.
...source?
The data for both Vandy and Cornell have been released a bit, iirc.

Cornell - http://abovethelaw.com/2010/07/biglaw-e ... -a-debate/

Vandy - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=147068

I don't see what Snape is seeing.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:39 pm

bk187 wrote:
Juff wrote:
...source?

Yup, from everything we know, snape is just spouting baseless speculation.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:44 pm

bk187 wrote:
Juff wrote:
...source?

For 2010 (the only semi-comparable data we have, though this Cornell data does not reflect no-offers while the Vandy data does), Cornell is probably gonna edge out Vandy in NLJ250. For Vandy, because of its rep in the South and that a lot of people will end up working down South, especially at well-paying "midlaw" firms that recruit 2Ls but don't show up on the NLJ250, the difference will be nuanced. No reason to think that Cornell wouldn't do better in NY thanks for their historical relation to NY. But if you aren't set on NY, these two schools might be fairly comparable.

Of course, we'll see the "newest" NLJ data quite soon (remember, this all happens pretty far in the past)

Vandy and Cornell are probably fairly comparable, but to say Vandy is up there with MVP is just silly.

TL;DR - we'll see the differences between Cornell and Vandy when NLJ250 comes out, but Vandy is more like Cornell than MVP.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:45 pm

rad law wrote:For 2010 (the only semi-comparable data we have, though this Cornell data does not reflect no-offers while the Vandy data does), Cornell is probably gonna edge out Vandy in NLJ250. For Vandy, because of its rep in the South and that a lot of people will end up working down South, especially at well-paying "midlaw" firms that recruit 2Ls but don't show up on the NLJ250, the difference will be nuanced. No reason to think that Cornell wouldn't do better in NY thanks for their historical relation to NY. But if you aren't set on NY, these two schools might be fairly comparable.

Of course, we'll see the "newest" NLJ data quite soon (remember, this all happens pretty far in the past)

Vandy and Cornell are probably fairly comparable, but to say Vandy is up there with MVP is just silly.

TL;DR - we'll see the differences between Cornell and Vandy when NLJ250 comes out, but Vandy is more like Cornell than MVP.
I didn't realize that about the no-offers, but I agree with all the points you've raised.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”