UCLA or Vanderbilt?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCLA or Vanderbilt?

UCLA
46%
Vanderbilt
54%

Total votes: 48

paralegal2009

UCLA or Vanderbilt?

Postby paralegal2009 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Admitted to both, assume no $. Paralegal at V10 firm in NYC, went to small LAC in northeast. Like Vanderbilt more, but don't want to be stuck in the southeast. California is appealing but I'd prefer San Fran to LA. Do I have a chance at California from Vandy? Just don't want to be stuck with only CA if I go to UCLA. Would not mind coming back to NYC but not my number one option.

Aberzombie1892

Re: UCLA or Vanderbilt?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:20 pm

You need to be more certain of your goals.

For example:

If you want CA, UCLA.

If you want anywhere else, Vanderbilt.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:You need to be more certain of your goals.

For example:

If you want CA, UCLA.

+1

Also, see what scholarship offers look like

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:You need to be more certain of your goals.

For example:

If you want CA, UCLA.

This.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:33 pm

So you don't want Vandy because you'll be stuck in the Southeast, and you'd like to be in California. But you don't want UCLA because you may be stuck in California. Yet you want to know about your chances of going to California from Vandy?

Wtf??

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:19 pm

Go to Vandy, period. They are a lot better than UCLA unless you want to work in CA only. Vandy will have far better placement in places like NY than UCLA will.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:42 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Go to Vandy, period. They are a lot better than UCLA unless you want to work in CA only. Vandy will have far better placement in places like NY than UCLA will.

:roll: Self-fulfilling prophecy. It is no more difficult to land yourself outside of CA from UCLA than it is to land outside of TN from Vandy. It's just that for obvious reasons fewer students choose to do so. Vandy and UCLA have identical NYC OCI stats, and since neither school directly accesses the NY market, I say that's a good indicator. DC is bit easier from Vandy. Really it's a push between the two schools. Go where you want to go.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 am

Cade McNown wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Go to Vandy, period. They are a lot better than UCLA unless you want to work in CA only. Vandy will have far better placement in places like NY than UCLA will.

:roll: Self-fulfilling prophecy. It is no more difficult to land yourself outside of CA from UCLA than it is to land outside of TN from Vandy. It's just that for obvious reasons fewer students choose to do so. Vandy and UCLA have identical NYC OCI stats, and since neither school directly accesses the NY market, I say that's a good indicator. DC is bit easier from Vandy. Really it's a push between the two schools. Go where you want to go.

+1 I think most people on TLS hate the Cali schools not sure if it's because they're mostly east cost and miserable but they seriously have it in for all Cali schools including Stanford (most people on here think it's only better than Columbia in Cali). Just to be clear I don't go to any Cali schools and I was wait listed at UCLA, while I think I'm going to get into Vandy so I have a reason to hate them but I can still be objective.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:05 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:

+1 I think most people on TLS hate the Cali schools not sure if it's because they're mostly east cost and miserable but they seriously have it in for all Cali schools including Stanford (most people on here think it's only better than Columbia in Cali). Just to be clear I don't go to any Cali schools and I was wait listed at UCLA, while I think I'm going to get into Vandy so I have a reason to hate them but I can still be objective.

I have a pretty firm belief that the hate comes from UCLA's weird position. t10 students are getting wait listed there, and LSAT busters get none of the redemption they can typically find. AS for self-selection regarding market, I think self-selection must explain a lot. Even here, NYC is known to be a last resort among the biglaw hopefuls. If you're from have LA, have family in LA, and connections in LA, would you take 90K to work at a movie studio on the business end, or 165K to relocate to NY?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:08 am

Vandy can take you to California if you're from there, but go to neither at sticker.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:09 am

No. Just no.

These are peer schools so there is not really a clear objective answer. If you want good odds at Cali then UCLA it is. Doing well at either UCLA or Vandy still gives you a shot at NYC if you so choose.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:33 am

rad law wrote:Vandy can take you to California if you're from there, but go to neither at sticker.

Excuse me? Since when did these two excellent regional schools become festering wastes?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:54 am

drdolittle wrote:
rad law wrote:Vandy can take you to California if you're from there, but go to neither at sticker.

Excuse me? Since when did these two excellent regional schools become festering wastes?

Didn't realize "don't pay sticker" equated to "festering waste" duder

Return to “Choosing a Law School”