California Schools (SD to Hastings)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dswimmer

Re: California Schools (SD to Hastings)

Postby dswimmer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:36 am

Gleason wrote:
dswimmer wrote:
Gleason wrote:1/3 at UCI? Well as it stands, UVI.

Why? USD is scary for what's known. UCI is scary for what's unknown. USD's scholly is shifty. UCI's isn't. Everything else is off the table.

Davis scholly might change that, depending on how risk averse you are, how much you're committed to SoCal, etc..

USC/UCLA would shift it all to a no-brainer.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is UVI?

You're ignorance is forgiven.

It's a typo. UCI.

Lol. Thanks. I kept searching the abbreviation and jargon thread and I thought I was going crazy. :)

riddlahjunk

Postby riddlahjunk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:01 am

With your scores I'd say there's a 75% chance (maybe more) you'll be in the top third after the first year, so the USD scholly will likely renew. USD better than Pepperdine by a lot if you're going to be in SD.

Gotta think about it as an investment. Is it worth it to be at a better firm in a city you prefer? If so, SD's your choice. But if you're equally interested in LA or SF as places to spend your life, then Pepperdine or Hastings are on the table.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:41 pm

riddlahjunk wrote:With your scores I'd say there's a 75% chance (maybe more) you'll be in the top third after the first year

This is a very foolish thing to assume even when your numbers are much better than the rest of the class.

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:27 pm

bk1 wrote:
riddlahjunk wrote:With your scores I'd say there's a 75% chance (maybe more) you'll be in the top third after the first year

This is a very foolish thing to assume even when your numbers are much better than the rest of the class.

From what I've heard from current law students, I tend to agree, which is why I am nervous about them all (although I do not think that my LSAT score is representative of my classroom performance for numerous reasons). Although I have a friend at Pepperdine who literally has the same stats as me and he did fine with his scholarship, but almost too fine--it makes me wonder if he is being challenged enough and if I would experience the same.

I am from San Diego and would like to eventually practice there, but I am currently living in Orange County and my husband has job opportunities here and in LA. This has made most southern California schools appealing for one reason or another. SF would be a complete unknown and I don't imagine I will want to practice there, but so far it is my only Tier 1 school. Dilemmas, dilemmas.

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:06 pm

dswimmer wrote:My choices so far (w/ scholarships):

USD: $26k/yr
UCI: 1/3
Chapman: Full ride
Loyola: $29k/yr
Pepperdine: $20k/yr
Hastings: nada (but supposedly they haven't started awarding yet)

Still waiting on Davis and USC. Waitlisted at UCLA. What would you do and why?

Background: Originally from SD and would eventually like to move back. Currently living in the OC and hate it. Most of my friends live in LA. Husband is finishing doctorate with massive loans. (I don't know if any of this helps.)

Edit: USD just upped my scholly to $30k (randomly). Thoughts?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:09 pm

dswimmer wrote:Edit: USD just upped my scholly to $30k (randomly). Thoughts?

I'd still be extremely wary of top 1/3 stip and that would even make a full ride unpalatable imo.

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:11 pm

bk1 wrote:
dswimmer wrote:Edit: USD just upped my scholly to $30k (randomly). Thoughts?

I'd still be extremely wary of top 1/3 stip and that would even make a full ride unpalatable imo.

I know...

:(

But that's all I really have right now...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:16 pm

dswimmer wrote:I know...

I guess you could do the go to law school and drop out after your first year if you lose your scholarship plan. Having massive debt from both you and your husband would terrify the crap out of me.

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:30 pm

bk1 wrote:
dswimmer wrote:I know...

I guess you could do the go to law school and drop out after your first year if you lose your scholarship plan. Having massive debt from both you and your husband would terrify the crap out of me.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking even though I would hate to quit in the middle. At least it will be a strong incentive to make sure that I have good grades as a 1L. :)

Luckily, my husband is going into a profession where there are plenty of jobs and since I'll have no life as a 1L, he's prepared to take on extra time at work to pay down his loans quicker. I don't like to think that I will add to that.

njn3

Postby njn3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Something to think about concerning USD vs the other schools...their recent bar passage rates have dropped pretty dramatically (over 10%)...

--LinkRemoved--

I don't know how much this matters or whether it is a bad year for USD or not, but a 65% pass rate doesn't seem that good for them...

Again, maybe not a huge consideration...but probably something to look into...

(also I think their second time takers on this exam didn't do too well either)

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Ok, so I got into USC this past week (YAY!), which brings my choices to:

USD: $30k/yr
UCI: 1/3
Chapman: Full ride
Loyola: $29k/yr
Pepperdine: $20k/yr
Hastings: nada yet
USC: nada yet (but my husband is trying to get a job there, which would give me tuition assistance)

Still waiting on Davis. Waitlisted at UCLA.

At this point, I've basically decided against USD, Chapman, and (likely) Pepperdine. Chapman because it's too much of a gamble, USD because I went to an admitted students event and all the alumni could do was tell me how they've been unemployed for 2 years and/or how it was the worst 3 years of their lives (no joke), and Pepperdine because they won't even begin to negotiate scholarships until you put down your seat deposit (what's up with that???). As I said, I'm not completely sure about this, and if anyone could give me good reasons why to put them back on my consider list, I probably would.

This leaves me with Loyola, Hastings, and USC (and possibly Davis). Thoughts?

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:12 pm

Absolutely USC, IMO

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:47 pm

USC will give you the best options going forward. Congrats!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”