California Schools (SD to Hastings)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dswimmer

California Schools (SD to Hastings)

Postby dswimmer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:39 pm

My choices so far (w/ scholarships):

USD: $26k/yr
UCI: 1/3
Chapman: Full ride
Loyola: $29k/yr
Pepperdine: $20k/yr
Hastings: nada (but supposedly they haven't started awarding yet)

Still waiting on Davis and USC. Waitlisted at UCLA. What would you do and why?

Background: Originally from SD and would eventually like to move back. Currently living in the OC and hate it. Most of my friends live in LA. Husband is finishing doctorate with massive loans. (I don't know if any of this helps.)

FlanAl

Re: California Schools (SD to Hastings)

Postby FlanAl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:44 pm

if you can get sd to up the scholarship it really isn't as bad of a choice as everyone here claims it is. you could maybe get sd biglaw if you are at the tippy top of your class (not vault firms but firms like luce and procopio). going to usd will give you the chance to network and be active in the san diego legal community while in school.

if what you want is sd then out of all your options so far i'd pick usd. hastings probably isn't that much better and its going to cost you way more to attend. if you get usc though that could definitely change things.

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:52 pm

FlanAl wrote:if you can get sd to up the scholarship it really isn't as bad of a choice as everyone here claims it is. you could maybe get sd biglaw if you are at the tippy top of your class (not vault firms but firms like luce and procopio). going to usd will give you the chance to network and be active in the san diego legal community while in school.

if what you want is sd then out of all your options so far i'd pick usd. hastings probably isn't that much better and its going to cost you way more to attend. if you get usc though that could definitely change things.

I'm leaning that way right now, but for some reason Pepperdine has some appeal to me as well. At first, SD gave me nothing, so the 26k is after I requested that the scholarship committee reconsider me. The rest of the offers came with my acceptance. How do you think I should go about asking for more (from any of them)?

Of course, if USC accepts me, or if I get off the waitlist at UCLA everything changes. I just don't know if the debt will be worth it.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:05 pm

i'd think that sc or la should be worth the debt if you want to practice in sd. pepperdine will not out perform usd in sd but it might do better in la or orange.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:06 pm

All of these seem decidedly meh options. Total CoA:

Chapman: 90k
Loyola: 120k
UCI: 135k
USD: 111k
Hastings: 180k
Pepperdine: 138k

I'd burn your third retake and reapply. If you go this year, I'd probably take USC/UCLA at sticker over any of these. Out of these I'd say take Chapman to keep it as cheap as possible.

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:56 pm

bk1 wrote:All of these seem decidedly meh options. Total CoA:

Chapman: 90k
Loyola: 120k
UCI: 135k
USD: 111k
Hastings: 180k
Pepperdine: 138k

I'd burn your third retake and reapply. If you go this year, I'd probably take USC/UCLA at sticker over any of these. Out of these I'd say take Chapman to keep it as cheap as possible.

I don't think I could stand taking the LSAT again. My score sucks, but I've taken the Kaplan course twice with not much movement and I took so many practice tests that I don't think I will score much higher to really make it worth while.

Luckily, my husband is graduating from school in May, so we won't have to take out living expense loans--just tuition.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:58 pm

dswimmer wrote:I don't think I could stand taking the LSAT again. My score sucks, but I've taken the Kaplan course twice with not much movement and I took so many practice tests that I don't think I will score much higher to really make it worth while.

Luckily, my husband is graduating from school in May, so we won't have to take out living expense loans--just tuition.

Just because Kaplan didn't work for you doesn't mean that you can't improve.

I'm not saying it is definitely possible, but I am saying that other avenues of prep (be it selfprep or tutoring) would be worth at least trying before you sign away around six figures worth of money.

learntolift

Postby learntolift » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:25 pm

dswimmer may i ask what your gpa/lsat are?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:26 pm

learntolift wrote:dswimmer may i ask what your gpa/lsat are?

Click the link that says "Profile."

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:40 pm

dswimmer wrote:My choices so far (w/ scholarships):

USD: $26k/yr
UCI: 1/3
Chapman: Full ride
Loyola: $29k/yr
Pepperdine: $20k/yr
Hastings: nada (but supposedly they haven't started awarding yet)

Still waiting on Davis and USC. Waitlisted at UCLA. What would you do and why?

Background: Originally from SD and would eventually like to move back. Currently living in the OC and hate it. Most of my friends live in LA. Husband is finishing doctorate with massive loans. (I don't know if any of this helps.)

Just fyi, but with most of these being private schools, you can probably leverage your scholarships against one another; i.e. tell USD I would love to go to your school but Loyola is giving me more money could you again reconsider my application? Since I think Pepp-Loyola-USD would consider each other roughly peer schools they might be willing to compete with better scholarships over one another. hastings doesn't have money to compete, UCI will only do 1/3rd and chapman has already offered 100% tuition; although maybe check out if Chapman has a scholars program where they will throw in COL stipends etc.

learntolift

Postby learntolift » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:40 pm

ohh ok thanks sorry new here, do you think she has a chance at USC with that LSAT? i go to usc undergrad and am trying to gauge what my chances are. i have a 3.4 gpa and am retaking the lsat next october, aiming for high 160s, and have some really good softs especially 1 from a law professor at usc who was head of the harvard law review, taught at harvard, clerked for a supreme court justice, and has her own firm in LA. idk how much that matters, but just putting it out there

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:48 pm

learntolift wrote:ohh ok thanks sorry new here, do you think she has a chance at USC with that LSAT? i go to usc undergrad and am trying to gauge what my chances are. i have a 3.4 gpa and am retaking the lsat next october, aiming for high 160s, and have some really good softs especially 1 from a law professor at usc who was head of the harvard law review, taught at harvard, clerked for a supreme court justice, and has her own firm in LA. idk how much that matters, but just putting it out there

This is old data but according to LSAC, USC admitted roughly 20% (85/410) of those who were 160-164/3.75+. The stats on LSN for it don't look pretty as USC admits very few people 165 and below who are not URM's.

A 3.4 puts you in a bad position with USC. If your score 165-169 you'll be looking at 25% according to LSAC (which is definitely weighted towards the higher end of that range). With a 3.4 I would say you're going to need a 170+ for even a 50/50 shot at USC.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... AC4852.pdf

http://usc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0 ... Cycle=1011

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:26 pm

I'm just hoping that my GPA and softs give me something. My husband is at USC right now, but I don't know if that matters because he is in the Physical Therapy program. Ugh, I just fricking hate the LSAT/myself for doing so poorly (twice).

Good luck with a 3.4...You are in somewhat of the same boat as me, but if you do well on the LSAT you will still have a better chance than me being a reverse splitter.

learntolift

Postby learntolift » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:22 pm

yeah thanks, i know i can kill the lsat...on the december '10 one, i got a 160 and i screwed up the scantron on RC section early on and got my answers straddled by 1 on the answer sheet...i know i can get high 160s, but do you think my softs add much weight?

also, at my internship i had over 2 summers, i started an Enterprise Risk Management program that the company has since implemented, which I think is noteworthy...but how would I bring that into my application? Or does it not even matter..

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:23 pm

learntolift wrote:yeah thanks, i know i can kill the lsat...on the december '10 one, i got a 160 and i screwed up the scantron on RC section early on and got my answers straddled by 1 on the answer sheet...i know i can get high 160s, but do you think my softs add much weight?

also, at my internship i had over 2 summers, i started an Enterprise Risk Management program that the company has since implemented, which I think is noteworthy...but how would I bring that into my application? Or does it not even matter..

Put it on your resume. Your softs probably won't make a big deal one way or the other.

learntolift

Postby learntolift » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:30 pm

What is your opinion on Loyola (LA)? i really want to stay in CA but if i don't get into USC, loyola is probably the next best (idk much about the SD schools) but that isnt as good as fordham, and im down for fordham i just do not know how i will like the weather and all that. Because once you are there, you are there.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:35 pm

learntolift wrote:What is your opinion on Loyola (LA)? i really want to stay in CA but if i don't get into USC, loyola is probably the next best (idk much about the SD schools) but that isnt as good as fordham, and im down for fordham i just do not know how i will like the weather and all that. Because once you are there, you are there.

I wouldn't go to Fordham on a whim without actually wanting to work in NYC.

Loyola is pretty meh, but a full ride makes it okay. However having scholarship stipulations is ridiculous if what others have told me is correct (that Loyola has a top 1/3 requirement and will not loosen that stipulation). Having a 66% chance of losing your scholarship seems awful and would make me consider dropping out if I lost my scholarship after the first year.

learntolift

Postby learntolift » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:54 pm

bk1 wrote:
learntolift wrote:What is your opinion on Loyola (LA)? i really want to stay in CA but if i don't get into USC, loyola is probably the next best (idk much about the SD schools) but that isnt as good as fordham, and im down for fordham i just do not know how i will like the weather and all that. Because once you are there, you are there.

I wouldn't go to Fordham on a whim without actually wanting to work in NYC.

Loyola is pretty meh, but a full ride makes it okay. However having scholarship stipulations is ridiculous if what others have told me is correct (that Loyola has a top 1/3 requirement and will not loosen that stipulation). Having a 66% chance of losing your scholarship seems awful and would make me consider dropping out if I lost my scholarship after the first year.

totally agree. it is like a 5 year commitment at least, 3 at school then 2-3 at a law firm until i decide what i want to do with my career (which at this point i plan on corporate law, possibly real estate/property law)

but luckily i have plenty of time to think about all this, i am taking the lsat again in october then i will have most of next year seeing where else i get in and weighing my options.

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 pm

Similar topic: has anyone tried to negotiate merit aid, and more specifically, more merit aid from California schools? I want to try to get Pepperdine/Loyola/USD to give me more, but I feel weird since Pepperdine and Loyola offered me scholarships initially and USD did after I requested a review. I don't want to come off as entitled.

My tentative plan is to send a negotiation letter to Pepperdine first since it has offered me the least amount of $$$ right now ($20k/yr). I'm hoping that Pepperdine will beat my Loyola one ($29k/yr) so that I can then petition Loyola and re-petition USD. Also has anyone tried to negotiate away GPA/class ranking stipulations? Is it even possible?

Since these schools are all basically the same, I really have no preference and the highest bidder will most likely win unless USC miraculously admits me or Hastings/UCI gives me at least 1/2 tuition.

Salty

Postby Salty » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:30 am

I tried to negotiate away the stipulations from USD and politely said that I had been offered several scholarships from schools that only require that I remain in good academic standing and asked if there were any scholarships that didn't have the top 1/3 stipulation that I could apply or be considered for. They just sent back a short response that currently they do not offer scholarships without a class ranking stipulation.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:36 am

Salty wrote:I tried to negotiate away the stipulations from USD and politely said that I had been offered several scholarships from schools that only require that I remain in good academic standing and asked if there were any scholarships that didn't have the top 1/3 stipulation that I could apply or be considered for. They just sent back a short response that currently they do not offer scholarships without a class ranking stipulation.

A scholarship with that stipulation should effectively take USD off the table if you have the option of Davis, Hastings, or (much though I'm loathe to admit it) Irvine. It's simply too big of a gamble, unless you're seriously prepared to drop out after 1L if you lose the scholarship. Accordingly, you've got nothing to lose by asking again, firmer this time. Tell them you'd very much like to attend USD, but that it simply won't work under the current terms, and that you understand that they need to attach a class rank stipulation but that you believe top-half to be both fair and reasonable.

More than likely they'll say no, but this leaves you no worse off than you are now. TLS has popularized the approach of calling to ask that scholarship stips be removed, and schools are just now figuring out a systematic way to respond to these requests. Until they do, there is a weakness you can exploit. You need their money and they need your higher-than-their-median #s, so both parties stand to benefit. And seriously, you can only help yourself asking again.

Basically make it seem like a "If you do X, I'll go to USD, if you don't, then I won't" kind of deal. Lower yield + the probability of getting someone off their WL who might lower their medians instead of you might just be the gun to the head that they need. Good luck!

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:02 pm

SBL wrote:
Salty wrote:I tried to negotiate away the stipulations from USD and politely said that I had been offered several scholarships from schools that only require that I remain in good academic standing and asked if there were any scholarships that didn't have the top 1/3 stipulation that I could apply or be considered for. They just sent back a short response that currently they do not offer scholarships without a class ranking stipulation.

A scholarship with that stipulation should effectively take USD off the table if you have the option of Davis, Hastings, or (much though I'm loathe to admit it) Irvine. It's simply too big of a gamble, unless you're seriously prepared to drop out after 1L if you lose the scholarship. Accordingly, you've got nothing to lose by asking again, firmer this time. Tell them you'd very much like to attend USD, but that it simply won't work under the current terms, and that you understand that they need to attach a class rank stipulation but that you believe top-half to be both fair and reasonable.

More than likely they'll say no, but this leaves you no worse off than you are now. TLS has popularized the approach of calling to ask that scholarship stips be removed, and schools are just now figuring out a systematic way to respond to these requests. Until they do, there is a weakness you can exploit. You need their money and they need your higher-than-their-median #s, so both parties stand to benefit. And seriously, you can only help yourself asking again.

Basically make it seem like a "If you do X, I'll go to USD, if you don't, then I won't" kind of deal. Lower yield + the probability of getting someone off their WL who might lower their medians instead of you might just be the gun to the head that they need. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. Also do you think that the automatic 1/3 scholarship from UCI can be leveraged at any of these or is it still too much of an unknown?

Gleason

Postby Gleason » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:05 am

1/3 at UCI? Well as it stands, UVI.

Why? USD is scary for what's known. UCI is scary for what's unknown. USD's scholly is shifty. UCI's isn't. Everything else is off the table.

Davis scholly might change that, depending on how risk averse you are, how much you're committed to SoCal, etc..

USC/UCLA would shift it all to a no-brainer.

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Gleason wrote:1/3 at UCI? Well as it stands, UVI.

Why? USD is scary for what's known. UCI is scary for what's unknown. USD's scholly is shifty. UCI's isn't. Everything else is off the table.

Davis scholly might change that, depending on how risk averse you are, how much you're committed to SoCal, etc..

Forgive my ignorance, but what is UVI?

Gleason

Postby Gleason » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:20 pm

dswimmer wrote:
Gleason wrote:1/3 at UCI? Well as it stands, UVI.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is UVI?

You're ignorance is forgiven.

It's a typo. UCI.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”