Should i apply to UCI Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JD=Doctor

Bronze

Should i apply to UCI

Post by JD=Doctor » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:16 am

It comes down to this

i have a full ride at loyola & pep (and dozo)
Im still waiting for my reaches and ucla/usc

assuming it is between my full rides and UCI (with the 1/3$ which would you choose (wanting to end up in LA))
Which would be the smarter overall decision?

Danteshek

Gold

Re: Should i apply to UCI

Post by Danteshek » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:12 am

No.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:27 am

more insight/opinions highly appreciated.

JD=Doctor

Bronze

Post by JD=Doctor » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:06 pm

gothamm wrote:more insight/opinions highly appreciated.
+1

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:11 pm

UCI's CoA, after the 1/3 scholarship is factored in, is $135k. To me that is a resounding "no, don't go to UCI."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:29 pm

bk187 wrote:UCI's CoA, after the 1/3 scholarship is factored in, is $135k. To me that is a resounding "no, don't go to UCI."
are you including living expenses? What if someone lives within driving distance?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:52 pm

gothamm wrote:
bk187 wrote:UCI's CoA, after the 1/3 scholarship is factored in, is $135k. To me that is a resounding "no, don't go to UCI."
are you including living expenses? What if someone lives within driving distance?
Of course I am including living expenses.

What do you mean living within driving distance? You still have to pay rent at that place.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:57 pm

bk187 wrote:
gothamm wrote:
Of course I am including living expenses.

What do you mean living within driving distance? You still have to pay rent at that place.
i plan to shamelessly leech off my parents by living with them. I am situated smack in the middle of loyola and UCI. Driving either direction would be the same 30-45 minute drive.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:01 pm

gothamm wrote:i plan to shamelessly leech off my parents by living with them. I am situated smack in the middle of loyola and UCI. Driving either direction would be the same 30-45 minute drive.
Then I think that puts UCI's CoA at something like 80-90k or so if you have no rent. I guess that's not the worst, but it still seems questionable. Whether or not my living expenses were paid for, I think that I'd take Loyola with full tuition scholarship (no stips) over UCI with 1/3 scholly. With no living expenses, UCI is at least palatable though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:07 pm

All loyola scholarships have top 1/3 stip. UCI has no stips.

Another factor is the competition. There is no doubt that UCI will have more of it.

As for job prospects, I'd probably give a slight edge to loyola.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:13 pm

gothamm wrote:All loyola scholarships have top 1/3 stip. UCI has no stips.

Another factor is the competition. There is no doubt that UCI will have more of it.

As for job prospects, I'd probably give a slight edge to loyola.
Top 1/3 stips at Loyola is a horrible deal. I would definitely haggle to get the stips lessened or removed if possible. If not, then I'd probably say go UCI considering you have a 66% chance of losing your Loyola scholarship if stips are not lessened or removed.

Competition, what does that even mean?

I wouldn't necessarily give the edge to Loyola, it's hard to tell without UCI actually having placed graduates yet. (FWIW, a relative of mine graduated from Loyola last year and said that around half of his class was unemployed at graduation.)

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Loyola stips from what i have seen are absolutely non-negotiable.

competition, as in it will be tougher to be in the magical top 10% of your class at UCI.

I just visited UCI on monday on a tour with Dean Chemerinsky who is of course amazing. I want to say that job prospects will be good coming out of Irvine. Chemerinsky told us that the ABA just visited them last week and the reports were glowing. 99% that their accreditation is on track. controlling for propaganda-ism that is present at every campus tour, I still came away impressed at the direction UCI is taking.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:44 pm

gothamm wrote:Loyola stips from what i have seen are absolutely non-negotiable.

competition, as in it will be tougher to be in the magical top 10% of your class at UCI.

I just visited UCI on monday on a tour with Dean Chemerinsky who is of course amazing. I want to say that job prospects will be good coming out of Irvine. Chemerinsky told us that the ABA just visited them last week and the reports were glowing. 99% that their accreditation is on track. controlling for propaganda-ism that is present at every campus tour, I still came away impressed at the direction UCI is taking.
If Loyola stips are non-negotiable then fuck that noise, I'd definitely take UCI. 2/3 chance of losing your scholarship? No thanks.

I wouldn't be so sure that it is any easier to get better grades at Loyola than UCI. Even if it is true, the difference would likely be marginal.

Whether those UCI job prospects will be able to get a significant portion of the class out of 135k worth of debt in a reasonable amount of time is something I am not sold on either way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:56 pm

bk187 wrote:
gothamm wrote:Loyola stips from what i have seen are absolutely non-negotiable.

If Loyola stips are non-negotiable then fuck that noise, I'd definitely take UCI. 2/3 chance of losing your scholarship? No thanks.

I wouldn't be so sure that it is any easier to get better grades at Loyola than UCI. Even if it is true, the difference would likely be marginal.

Whether those UCI job prospects will be able to get a significant portion of the class out of 135k worth of debt in a reasonable amount of time is something I am not sold on either way.

not sure what makes you say this. Clearly, the kids at UCI are "smarter"....whatever that may mean. Higher GPA's and LSAT scores. Also, it is not like the professors at UCI are slapdicks. most of the faculty taught at t14s so they will probably expect a higher quality of workmanship.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:03 pm

gothamm wrote: not sure what makes you say this. Clearly, the kids at UCI are "smarter"....whatever that may mean. Higher GPA's and LSAT scores. Also, it is not like the professors at UCI are slapdicks. most of the faculty taught at t14s so they will probably expect a higher quality of workmanship.
There are over 9000 threads bout this. GPA is a terrible predictor of law school success. LSAT has a .4 correlation. That looks like this.

Also it doesn't matter what type of workmanship they expect. 1L curve bro.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:06 pm

So you are saying that being top 10% at UCI would prove to be no more difficult than at Loyola?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:08 pm

gothamm wrote:not sure what makes you say this. Clearly, the kids at UCI are "smarter"....whatever that may mean. Higher GPA's and LSAT scores. Also, it is not like the professors at UCI are slapdicks. most of the faculty taught at t14s so they will probably expect a higher quality of workmanship.
Most professors everywhere are of similar quality (they all graduated from the elite schools).

While yes, UCI has higher LSAT median (and slightly higher GPA median), it would be foolish to assume that just because you have better stats comparatively at Loyola that you will do better. People on this board have basically said that you either get law exams or you don't. Yes, you probably have a better chance of doing well at Loyola than UCI, but I wouldn't gamble 90k on that difference.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:35 pm

UCI is years away from having an alumni network that can help you. It's also unclear whether UCI will maintain its numbers.

I would stay away for the time being.

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:12 am

UCI is awesome. Check out the other UCI threads for more info, and definitely try to schedule a visit if you haven't done so already.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:36 am

rad law wrote:Also it doesn't matter what type of workmanship they expect. 1L curve bro.
lolwut. Just b/c there's a 1L curve doesn't mean the quality of a median exam at Loyala matches the quality of median exam at UCI.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”