UMN ($$) vs. UIUC ($$$) vs. Michigan ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go (I want to practice in Minneapolis)??

UMN (54k, in-state)
15%
UIUC (90k)
13%
Michigan (30k)
73%

Total votes: 40

freskie

UMN ($$) vs. UIUC ($$$) vs. Michigan ($)

Postby freskie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 am

not sure if I did those money symbols correctly, but...

54k from UMN (in-state tuition)
90k from UIUC
30k from Michigan

Don't know what type of law I want to practice. I think I want to end up practicing in Minneapolis. I'm also debt-averse, as I already have debt from undergrad. Would the extra cost at Michigan be worth taking on the additional debt? Obviously Michigan is a much better national school, but does it place significantly better in Minneapolis than UMN? I guess UIUC is kind of out of the picture considering I want to be in Minneapolis, but it's tough to say no to 90k...

Kind of unrelated - does anyone know that placement stats for Michigan vs. UIUC in Chicago?

ndirish2010

Re: UMN ($$) vs. UIUC ($$$) vs. Michigan ($)

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:51 am

Michigan FTW.

MyManKanye

Postby MyManKanye » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:01 am

Well from what I've been told, UMN is very limiting if you ever decide you'd like to give it a try outside Minneapolis. I believe U of I does a little better in Chicago, but that's probably more because Michigan has more national reach, so less students look in Chicago. I don't have any links to support that though. If I were you, I'd see if Michigan would throw me a little more money and hop aboard. I'd think that given the same or similar grades at each you could do anything from Michigan you could from the other two plus more, and the debt isn't that terrible since Ann Arbor isn't that expensive to live in.

That said, if you are 100% set on working in Minneapolis, there's no reason to choose anything but UMN, and you could probably get that money bumped by showing them UIUC's offer.

freskie

Postby freskie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:16 am

MyManKanye wrote:Well from what I've been told, UMN is very limiting if you ever decide you'd like to give it a try outside Minneapolis. I believe U of I does a little better in Chicago, but that's probably more because Michigan has more national reach, so less students look in Chicago. I don't have any links to support that though. If I were you, I'd see if Michigan would throw me a little more money and hop aboard. I'd think that given the same or similar grades at each you could do anything from Michigan you could from the other two plus more, and the debt isn't that terrible since Ann Arbor isn't that expensive to live in.

That said, if you are 100% set on working in Minneapolis, there's no reason to choose anything but UMN, and you could probably get that money bumped by showing them UIUC's offer.

Yeah, that's why I think I'm leaning Michigan - I think I'd like to end up in Minneapolis, but I'm not 100% set on it. And if I were, I still think I'd like to have the option of moving somewhere else at some point. Do you think Michigan would give me anything extra if I let them know about these offers? I've also got 90k from Wash U, and will hopefully have something from Duke and Vandy sometime soon.

MyManKanye

Postby MyManKanye » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:30 am

I don't know that the UIUC or UMN offers would elicit much. From what I was told in my thread UMN, UIUC, and WUSTL are all peer schools and a tier or two below Duke and Vandy. Duke and Vandy might get you something to work with. Also, if you are dead set on going to Michigan if the money is there that can make a good argument as well. I also don't know the policy, but you might be able to establish residency for UM after the first year and get in state tuition for 2L and 3L, but I'm just speculating. In the end though, I think you can do pretty well at one of the big ten schools as far as COL goes. I go to UIUC UG and I know UIUC law lists their COL at like 12.5k. I live in a nice place currently and my COL is like 9k a year (rent, food, utilities). I know a few guys who live in a house that's a little less nice and they pay about 7k a year. I'd assume Ann Arbor is probably similar.

In the end, I think Michigan is worth it. Its a pretty cheap school for what it is. If you could get another 20k-30k from them I'd jump on it as money well spent.

freskie

Postby freskie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:17 am

MyManKanye wrote:I don't know that the UIUC or UMN offers would elicit much. From what I was told in my thread UMN, UIUC, and WUSTL are all peer schools and a tier or two below Duke and Vandy. Duke and Vandy might get you something to work with. Also, if you are dead set on going to Michigan if the money is there that can make a good argument as well. I also don't know the policy, but you might be able to establish residency for UM after the first year and get in state tuition for 2L and 3L, but I'm just speculating. In the end though, I think you can do pretty well at one of the big ten schools as far as COL goes. I go to UIUC UG and I know UIUC law lists their COL at like 12.5k. I live in a nice place currently and my COL is like 9k a year (rent, food, utilities). I know a few guys who live in a house that's a little less nice and they pay about 7k a year. I'd assume Ann Arbor is probably similar.

In the end, I think Michigan is worth it. Its a pretty cheap school for what it is. If you could get another 20k-30k from them I'd jump on it as money well spent.

Yeah, I'm definitely strongly leaning toward Mich (barring a miracle acceptance from Chicago). A little more money would seal the deal. Let's hope Duke pulls through and gives me something to work with. Thanks for your thoughts/advice!

drylo

Postby drylo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:29 am

I'm very debt-averse, but if those were my only options, I would choose Michigan. My decision would could change very easily though if MN offered more money or if Duke/Vandy offered more money than Michigan.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:46 am

If you're biglaw or bust you have to take Michigan, if you're not I would ask MN to match UoI's money and then go there.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:51 am

OP: Are you willing to share your LSAT score, GPA and/or URM status ? Thanks !

freskie

Postby freskie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:57 pm

drylo wrote:I'm very debt-averse, but if those were my only options, I would choose Michigan. My decision would could change very easily though if MN offered more money or if Duke/Vandy offered more money than Michigan.

Do you think a Vandy degree would carry well to Minneapolis? I really like the school, and I've heard they're pretty generous with money, but I'm worried about its reach. Although, even if Vandy doesn't place well in MN, I'm guessing (hoping?) it places alright in Chicago, so if they gave me enough money I'd definitely consider attending.

Canadian, stats are: 170, 3.6x, non-URM

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:59 pm

OP - Is this money contingent on GPA or class rank? If so, can you please provide the qualifications for each school.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:15 pm

I doubt any of it is. Illinois and Michigan aren't for sure.

I also have that scholarship at Illinois. Personally I would jump on Michigan with any money, but I would love to go to Michigan and I haven't gotten in yet, and I have different goals as well. For Minneapolis, I can't imagine that anyone does better than Minn. Even if you dont do well there you will end up in Minneapolis and if you are dead set on Minneapolis then that clearly is a positive. Also, Minn may match Illinois or be impressed enough with Michigan to up their offer. With instate it could be the best option, but not until they up it a little. Good luck. Both options are sweet; for your goals you should probably forget about attending Illinois.

freskie

Postby freskie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:14 pm

paratactical wrote:OP - Is this money contingent on GPA or class rank? If so, can you please provide the qualifications for each school.

No requirements of Illinois, 2.5 GPA for UMN, and 2.0 GPA for Michigan.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Law Sauce wrote:I doubt any of it is. Illinois and Michigan aren't for sure.

I also have that scholarship at Illinois. Personally I would jump on Michigan with any money, but I would love to go to Michigan and I haven't gotten in yet, and I have different goals as well. For Minneapolis, I can't imagine that anyone does better than Minn. Even if you dont do well there you will end up in Minneapolis and if you are dead set on Minneapolis then that clearly is a positive. Also, Minn may match Illinois or be impressed enough with Michigan to up their offer. With instate it could be the best option, but not until they up it a little. Good luck. Both options are sweet; for your goals you should probably forget about attending Illinois.

Michigan's depends on maintaining a 2.0. I might as well be no, but technically yes.

freskie

Postby freskie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:17 pm

Law Sauce wrote:I doubt any of it is. Illinois and Michigan aren't for sure.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try to entice Minnesota with the Illinois offer. Hopefully they'll bite. If they don't budge, I think I'll go with Michigan. If they do up the offer, then who knows...

Good luck with Michigan!

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:20 pm

Why did so few people say UMN??? Look, I live in Mpls and I am from up north so I know a few things. If you want to practice here, go to UMN. It is the best school in the TC area and the region to boot - no one else even comes close, and there are at least 3 other law schools (3 that i can think of) in the TC area - UMN trumps over all of them. If you think you want to go ANYWHERE else or are having any doubts about your love affair with this ice cold city, I'd suggest Michigan. But from what you are saying, Minnesota is the way to go.

also, UMN has this ever-so-common regional effect: i tell people i am likely turning down a full tuition scholarship at UMN to attend a different school, and they think i am batshit crazy. UMN might as well be the best school in the country after HYS as far as Minnesotans are concerned. i realize you won't be getting hired by laypeople, but i think the legal environment follows suit with this philosophy a bit.

drylo

Postby drylo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:40 pm

freskie wrote:
drylo wrote:I'm very debt-averse, but if those were my only options, I would choose Michigan. My decision would could change very easily though if MN offered more money or if Duke/Vandy offered more money than Michigan.

Do you think a Vandy degree would carry well to Minneapolis? I really like the school, and I've heard they're pretty generous with money, but I'm worried about its reach. Although, even if Vandy doesn't place well in MN, I'm guessing (hoping?) it places alright in Chicago, so if they gave me enough money I'd definitely consider attending.

Well, I don't think the Vandy degree itself will cause you any trouble at all trying to get to Minneapolis... what might cause you trouble is the fact that you aren't from there. It would be best if you had some connections to the Twin Cities. When I posted the first time, I did not know that you were from Canada (although being from Canada, it is probably at least more believable that you want to be in MSP than if you were from Cali, I suppose). If you don't have any connections to Minneapolis, I suspect that will be your biggest challenge in breaking into that market. It might be a little bit easier to show your interest if you go to school there, but I don't know if that necessarily means you should go to UMN--just be aware of that.

freskie

Postby freskie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:46 pm

drylo wrote:
freskie wrote:

Well, I don't think the Vandy degree itself will cause you any trouble at all trying to get to Minneapolis... what might cause you trouble is the fact that you aren't from there. It would be best if you had some connections to the Twin Cities. When I posted the first time, I did not know that you were from Canada (although being from Canada, it is probably at least more believable that you want to be in MSP than if you were from Cali, I suppose). If you don't have any connections to Minneapolis, I suspect that will be your biggest challenge in breaking into that market. It might be a little bit easier to show your interest if you go to school there, but I don't know if that necessarily means you should go to UMN--just be aware of that.

haha, no I am indeed from Minneapolis. The "Canadian" was in reference to CandianWolf, who asked about my stats. Definitely can see how that was misinterpreted though

drylo

Postby drylo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:52 pm

freskie wrote:
drylo wrote:
freskie wrote:

haha, no I am indeed from Minneapolis. The "Canadian" was in reference to CandianWolf, who asked about my stats. Definitely can see how that was misinterpreted though

Ha, nice. I didn't look at who the poster was that you were responding to--hence, I thought you were describing yourself.

If you are from Minneapolis, I don't think it matters where you go to school, geographically speaking (at least when we are talking about schools in the top 20). I would go wherever you feel comfortable/want to go, based on your visits, the financial situation, and general job prospects. To answer your question specifically, I think you will be fine in Minneapolis if you went to Vandy... with the caveat, of course, that you need to do relatively well in school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”