Upper Mountain West

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thedive

Re: Upper Mountain West

Postby thedive » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Thanks for the input. So I'm guessing that it would be fairly difficult to move back to MT if I was to graduate from a school such as SLU or something of that sort?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Oh, I think you might be surprised about the income potential for a solo in an underserved area. Montana, like N.Mex., is not hugely overlawyered and its population has been growing gradually over the last few decades. About a million, now, I believe. A small, well managed generalist commercial practice located in, say, Billings or Great Falls, which are not tourist traps in the Rockies but commercial centers toward the eastern part of the state, might could do pretty well. Now, if you absolutely INSIST on doing an estate planning botique practice in Kalispell, then I wish you luck.

As to Idaho...I love the state but I have long suspected that creating a successful commercial firm there would be easier if there's a solid connection to the LDS Church. I'd love to be shown to be wrong about this but I think it's true. Anyway, I'd look at Lewiston if Idaho were my target state.

I don't think I'd be very surprised, but I would be surprised if OP could establish a successful solo practice right out of school

king3780

Postby king3780 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:07 pm

thedive wrote:Thanks for the input. So I'm guessing that it would be fairly difficult to move back to MT if I was to graduate from a school such as SLU or something of that sort?

If you want to practice in MT, you should go to school in MT. Because the legal market is small and they want to keep it that way, MT has a very difficult bar exam... and only requires people who didn't go to Montana Law School to take it. That's right, no need to take the bar exam if you go to school in state.

thedive

Postby thedive » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:29 pm

That's interesting...I had no idea that MT graduates didn't have to sit for the bar. Do certain areas of concerntration (Environmental Law) carry much weight in a smaller legal market such as this?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:51 pm

thedive wrote:Thanks for the input. So I'm guessing that it would be fairly difficult to move back to MT if I was to graduate from a school such as SLU or something of that sort?

Yup. Again, I'm just arguing from my experience as a geographic neighbor, but in all the larger firms in Boise (which are the only ones in the state that will pay upwards of 75k) about 20% of the associates are from the T14, 20% are from BYU, UC Hastings, and other quasi-regional T1 schools and the other 60% are from University of Idaho.

Notice that even the slightly lower ranked schools are from the West and are still T1. SLU is in the South and is ranked T2.

(I know this because I want to come back at some point, and I've looked at the list of associates for all of the big firms.)
Last edited by lisjjen on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:51 pm

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:33 pm

don't think I'd be very surprised, but I would be surprised if OP could establish a successful solo practice right out of school

I've seen it done. It wasn't a pretty sight. Definitely not recommended.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:47 pm

I think Montana got rid of its diploma privilege for UMT Law grads in 1983. EVERYbody takes the Montana Bar now as far as I know.

thedive

Postby thedive » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:28 pm

Last edited by thedive on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:32 pm

thedive wrote:So I'm really leaning towards MT now, but am wondering if any of the following offers would bring good opportunities before I pay my deposit to MT. I'm thinking about doing environmental/land/energy/health law but am not completly sure and I want to end up in MT some day. Are these offers worth it or should I just stick with the plan and go to MT? Debt minimization is a priority to me and biglaw necessarily isn't, although a small it medium size firm or govt. work would be, but I'm just a 0L so not 100% sure.

SLU- 17k a year. no stips.
UST- 28k a year. no stips.
Houston-acceptance letter coming.

Still waiting on Maryland and W&M. Also Seton Hall but don't think I'll be going there unless it was full tuition or so which I don't predict.

Thanks for any input in advance!

Seriously :roll: If you can't make such an obvious decision you will get the career you deserve.

thedive

Postby thedive » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Well I though it was an obvious decision thats why I said I'm about to pay my deposit and be done with it. I feel that it is hard to make a judgment about an individual that quick but thanks anyways.

thedive

Postby thedive » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:26 pm

thedive wrote:Well I though it was an obvious decision thats why I said I'm about to pay my deposit and be done with it. I feel that it is hard to make a judgment about an individual that quick but thanks anyways.

I feel that you are so welcome.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”