Cardozo Full Ride v. BU/BC/GW Sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
impatiently waiting

Cardozo Full Ride v. BU/BC/GW Sticker

Postby impatiently waiting » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Full ride at Dozo is guatanteed for 3 years. Trying to negotiate $ from the other 3, and still waiting on a few T20 schools, but assuming nothing changes, what should I do?

No preference between cities. No $ saved or help from family coming. How much is the 30-spot jump in rankings worth in $?

Please advise.

ndirish2010

Re: Cardozo Full Ride v. BU/BC/GW Sticker

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:45 pm

Did you apply to Fordham? Do you really want BigLaw? If you have no hopes for BigLaw, go to Dozo. If you do, I would go to BC.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:49 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Did you apply to Fordham? Do you really want BigLaw? If you have no hopes for BigLaw, go to Dozo. If you do, I would go to BC.

Blatant anti-BU trolling...

You'll still end up with sizable debt after Cardozo due to the high COL loans you'll need, and BU/BC/GW job prospects are significantly better than Cardozo if that's your question.

I'd pick BU.

But as the above poster said, if you really don't have a strong desire for Biglaw/anything prestigious then go for Cardozo to minimize the debt.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:51 pm

rman1201 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Did you apply to Fordham? Do you really want BigLaw? If you have no hopes for BigLaw, go to Dozo. If you do, I would go to BC.

Blatant anti-BU trolling...

You'll still end up with sizable debt after Cardozo due to the high COL loans you'll need, and BU/BC/GW job prospects are significantly better than Cardozo if that's your question.

I'd pick BU.

But as the above poster said, if you really don't have a strong desire for Biglaw/anything prestigious then go for Cardozo to minimize the debt.

I won't lie, I hate BU.

BC hockey FTW.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:54 pm

None of the above? BC/BU/BW aren't worth sticker, but Dozo is a T2 in a crowded market.

Cardozo I guess. COL is atrocious though.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:50 pm

rad law wrote:None of the above? BC/BU/BW aren't worth sticker, but Dozo is a T2 in a crowded market.

Cardozo I guess. COL is atrocious though.

I know a kid who went to Cardozo on a guaranteed full ride, I haven't talked to him directly about it, but from what I heard he really is regretting his decision on not taking the higher ranked schools he got into. (Which were in the 20-30 range, not GW/BU/BC though.) Just food for thought.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Wow, no stipulations? Congrats.

Almost everyone is struggling for jobs now. In getting your first job you'll face a tough road from all of those schools unless you're near the top of the class, and maybe anyway. I don't think your first job prospects from BU/BC/GW are better than from Dozo by a factor of $100K+. And after your first job, the name on your diploma means a lot less as long as it's not Cooley or that ilk. Take the $. Or, in this case, the $$$$.

Informative

Postby Informative » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:24 pm

BC/BU/GW will substantially increase your chances. You'll need to be in the top 30% to get biglaw from these schools. Outside of the T14, these are some of the best schools to attend if you want biglaw.

BC has the best prospects, but not by much:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108528

Note that if you don't make it into the top 30%, you'll at least have a significant chance at getting midlaw or biggov, which is still very successfull. Midlaw in the northeast usually still pays 6 figures, just not 160k starting.

At Cardozo, I really don't know that you'll have a chance at the top firms. If you are at the top of your class, you could get midlaw or maybe one of the lesser ranked biglaw firms, but if you aren't in the top 20-30% at Cardozo, you aren't getting a job out of OCI.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Are you sure the Cardozo scholarship is guaranteed all 3 years? I applied last year and they said they didn't have guaranteed full year scholarships. They had a tiered system by which, if you hit a certain GPA, you keep everything, a lower figure got you 3/4 scholarship, another 1/2, and anything below and you lose it all. If your scholarship is truly without any stipulations, then I'm glad they did away with that dumb tier system that put needless pressure on students.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:57 am

Last edited by fakemoney on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:20 pm

BC. Don't be a bozo and go to Dozo

Return to “Choosing a Law School”