UVa or U of M

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bk1

Re: UVa or U of M

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Flustercluck wrote:
Cubyfan21 wrote:I am assuming I should pay for these schools over almost full ride/full ride at GW or Indiana Bloomington?

Do you want to stay in Indiana and is BigLaw not important to you? Indiana
Do you want to stay in the MidAtlantic region? GW (With full-ride, not almost full ride)

If you can get full ride, GW is tempting over Michigan and UVA. Not having debt certainly frees up a lot of options when pursuing a job, but then again you wouldn't have as many options to start with coming out of GW, so it's just personal risk-reward preference.

Tempting, but it really depends on what your final CoA is. As noted almost definitely doesn't cut it.

GW offers a lot of people a 105k scholly. With their estimated total CoA at 210k, you'll still be shouldering 105k worth of debt. I think I'd need GW's CoA to be something like 70k or so for me to consider it over Mich/UVa.

bauerahl

Postby bauerahl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:42 am

TyrodTaylor wrote:uva also gets the win for campus

I don't know... maybe the campus as a whole but have you seen Michigan's law school? Just Beautiful (that's not to say UVA law's building isn't nice, it's incredible but I'm not sure it rises to the level of Michigan).

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:04 pm

bk1 wrote: Tempting, but it really depends on what your final CoA is. As noted almost definitely doesn't cut it.

GW offers a lot of people a 105k scholly. With their estimated total CoA at 210k, you'll still be shouldering 105k worth of debt. I think I'd need GW's CoA to be something like 70k or so for me to consider it over Mich/UVa.

I got the 105K scholly, and while it was a nice surprise when I read the letter, my first that was "oh well, that's a lot of money I'm going to have to turn down." I'd ultimately like to be in DC, but I get the sense that unless you are toward the top of your class at GW you're going to get buried if you're looking for biglaw or federal gov't jobs. Same story in NYC.

UVA, GULC, and other T-14 students are likely prioritized in a saturated market like DC... and like you said, with 105k to GW you're still looking at >105K in debt. I'd rather pay sticker at UVA.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”