Notre Dame (sticker) vs. Pepperdine/Loyola ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Notre Dame vs. Pepperdine ($$) vs. Loyola ($$)

Notre Dame
37%
Pepperdine ($$)
20%
Loyola Los Angeles($$)
43%

Total votes: 30

spicymeatball111

Notre Dame (sticker) vs. Pepperdine/Loyola ($$)

Postby spicymeatball111 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:30 pm

In at Notre Dame, no scholly
In at Pepperdine and Loyola, scholly covers 2/3 of tuition, but contingent on remaining in top third of the class

I want to end up practicing in Los Angeles, and though the answer may seem obvious to some, I am concerned about being below the top 1/3 at Loyola LA and Pepperdine, and essentially being stuck at median at those schools and having to pay sticker for 2 years. I have visited both schools in Los Angeles and would be more than happy to attend either.
Getting into Notre Dame was a bit of a reach, I would be really excited to go there. I understand that although they have quite a few alumni in California, the transition would probably be more difficult, and they were hit fairly hard at OCI last year.
Thoughts?
Last edited by spicymeatball111 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: Notre Dame (sticker) vs. Pepperdine/Loyola ($$)

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:31 pm

I'd say Loyola if you can get your stipulations removed.

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Have you tried to negotiate away the stipulation?

Edit: Didn't see BK's post, but that is definitely what you should do.
Last edited by kehoema2 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Did you apply to Davis or Hastings. Seems like if you got into ND you should be able to get into Davis which would be far superior to Loyola or Pepperdine. I would ask for more money from Loyola and go there, or at least drop the stips. Honestly, Pepperdine is in my top 5 "If you wanna screw yourself come here" schools in the nation.

spicymeatball111

Postby spicymeatball111 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:41 pm

bk1 wrote:I'd say Loyola if you can get your stipulations removed.

From what I have read on TLS, stipulations are non-negotiable, but I will go ahead and call the admissions office to confirm.

BarbellDreams wrote:Did you apply to Davis or Hastings. Seems like if you got into ND you should be able to get into Davis which would be far superior to Loyola or Pepperdine. I would ask for more money from Loyola and go there, or at least drop the stips. Honestly, Pepperdine is in my top 5 "If you wanna screw yourself come here" schools in the nation.

I applied and was accepted to Hastings, no scholarship. I was under the impression it did not fare as well as Loyola in LA, but I could totally be wrong. I was impressed with Pepperdine's facilities and the administration are nice, but I get that the LA market is tough competition for lower ranked schools

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:42 pm

spicymeatball111 wrote:
bk1 wrote:I'd say Loyola if you can get your stipulations removed.

From what I have read on TLS, stipulations are non-negotiable, but I will go ahead and call the admissions office to confirm.

BarbellDreams wrote:Did you apply to Davis or Hastings. Seems like if you got into ND you should be able to get into Davis which would be far superior to Loyola or Pepperdine. I would ask for more money from Loyola and go there, or at least drop the stips. Honestly, Pepperdine is in my top 5 "If you wanna screw yourself come here" schools in the nation.

I applied and was accepted to Hastings, no scholarship. I was under the impression it did not fare as well as Loyola in LA, but I could totally be wrong. I was impressed with Pepperdine's facilities and the administration are nice, but I get that the LA market is tough competition for lower ranked schools

I don't know whether they are negotiable or not in your case, but others have gotten them dropped or lessened.

I would take Hastings at sticker over ND at sticker for SoCal. That being said, I probably wouldn't take Hastings at sticker as a good financial choice.

What would your total CoA be at Pepperdine/Loyola?

spicymeatball111

Postby spicymeatball111 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:49 pm

including tuition, room/board, books, fees, travel, and personal expenditures, the COA at both Pepperdine and Loyola comes out to around $33,000, which I could cover with savings without going taking out much in loans.
COA at Notre Dame would be about $57,000, and Hastings just below that at $54,000. This would be a bit trickier.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:05 pm

You have around 100k in savings?

Well I guess if you really want to be a lawyer and don't mind burning through your savings it's not that bad to go to Loyola/Pepperdine if you can get your stips removed or lessened. At least when you graduate you won't have all the debt hanging over your head.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:06 pm

If you have the savings to cover that I almost think Hastings is your best bet. Its not by any means the best answer and its not a great financial choice at sticker, but if you are A.) 100% not retaking no matter what and B.) 100% set on the CA market no matter what then I think that basically forces your hand.

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm not sure what your political beliefs are, but pepperdine is known for being fairly conservative, something that would influence my decisions.

spicymeatball111

Postby spicymeatball111 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:13 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:If you have the savings to cover that I almost think Hastings is your best bet. Its not by any means the best answer and its not a great financial choice at sticker, but if you are A.) 100% not retaking no matter what and B.) 100% set on the CA market no matter what then I think that basically forces your hand.

interesting, I will definitely take a closer look at Hastings. To be honest I am not against either of the alternative options, but I figured that my LSAT will probably not get much better and that the LA market was at least a little better than the Chicago market

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:16 pm

I'd attend Loyola and put some of your savings into some other investment. DIVERSIFY

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:16 pm

oh and drop out if lose scholarship

spicymeatball111

Postby spicymeatball111 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:31 pm

General Tso wrote:oh and drop out if lose scholarship

i don't intend to go to law school with the option of dropping out, but point taken.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:32 pm

spicymeatball111 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:If you have the savings to cover that I almost think Hastings is your best bet. Its not by any means the best answer and its not a great financial choice at sticker, but if you are A.) 100% not retaking no matter what and B.) 100% set on the CA market no matter what then I think that basically forces your hand.

interesting, I will definitely take a closer look at Hastings. To be honest I am not against either of the alternative options, but I figured that my LSAT will probably not get much better and that the LA market was at least a little better than the Chicago market

The LA market is arguably the worst market on the planet IMO. If you were considering things like NY and Chicago I would just take ND if those are the only options (though that opens up other schools like Fordham, BC,BU, etc. that you may or may not have applied to and have a decent shot to get in if you got in at ND).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:33 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:The LA market is arguably the worst market on the planet IMO. If you were considering things like NY and Chicago I would just take ND if those are the only options (though that opens up other schools like Fordham, BC,BU, etc. that you may or may not have applied to and have a decent shot to get in if you got in at ND).

LA is not the worst market on the planet. It is definitely better than SF. I'm not even sure it is worse than Chi or DC.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:36 pm

bk1 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:The LA market is arguably the worst market on the planet IMO. If you were considering things like NY and Chicago I would just take ND if those are the only options (though that opens up other schools like Fordham, BC,BU, etc. that you may or may not have applied to and have a decent shot to get in if you got in at ND).

LA is not the worst market on the planet. It is definitely better than SF. I'm not even sure it is worse than Chi or DC.

Sorry, I meant the CA market as a whole. I would roll the dice in DC and Chicago before coming to CA FWIW.

spicymeatball111

Postby spicymeatball111 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:53 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Sorry, I meant the CA market as a whole. I would roll the dice in DC and Chicago before coming to CA FWIW.

Is there a way to quantitatively measure the hiring within regions? I have been looking at the NJL 250 hiring trends but that does not really indicate the strength of regional markets.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:02 pm

spicymeatball111 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Sorry, I meant the CA market as a whole. I would roll the dice in DC and Chicago before coming to CA FWIW.

Is there a way to quantitatively measure the hiring within regions? I have been looking at the NJL 250 hiring trends but that does not really indicate the strength of regional markets.

It's hard to tell how the economy hit each market and how those firms reacted to it by changing their hiring practices (i.e. did they cut more from the bottom schools or did they just cut from each school uniformly) without data available from the most recent OCIs.

Some things are certain, like if you want to be a PD/DA there are many local governments with hiring freezes so you can't even get employed there because they are not hiring. Chicago has been hit very hard, NYC recovered the fastest, etc.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:00 pm

bk1 wrote:
spicymeatball111 wrote:

It's hard to tell how the economy hit each market and how those firms reacted to it by changing their hiring practices (i.e. did they cut more from the bottom schools or did they just cut from each school uniformly) without data available from the most recent OCIs.

Some things are certain, like if you want to be a PD/DA there are many local governments with hiring freezes so you can't even get employed there because they are not hiring. Chicago has been hit very hard, NYC recovered the fastest, etc.

For example, LA DA has had a hiring freeze since around June of 2010, and in speaking with a recent DA, he thought it would last until around June 2012. SF cannot be much better. I believe PD is still hiring but extremely competitive. Although if your looking at gov., location of school and internships at those local offices are more important than relative school rank

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:13 pm

bk1 wrote:

Attorneys I've talked to are sure that LA is worse than both Chi and DC.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:17 pm

ITE every attorney thinks their legal market is the worst.

*Then again ITE every attorney might be right

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:26 pm

bk1 wrote:You have around 100k in savings?

Well I guess if you really want to be a lawyer and don't mind burning through your savings it's not that bad to go to Loyola/Pepperdine if you can get your stips removed or lessened. At least when you graduate you won't have all the debt hanging over your head.

What a waste of money.

spicymeatball111

Postby spicymeatball111 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:41 pm

i think i'm leaving this thread more conflicted than I started, but thanks for all of your input.

spicymeatball111

Postby spicymeatball111 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:47 pm

can the people that voted ND speak up? i'm just curious what your reasoning is

Return to “Choosing a Law School”