UoI ($) vs WUSTL vs GW Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MyManKanye

New

UoI ($) vs WUSTL vs GW

Post by MyManKanye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:16 pm

I currently attend U of I in engineering. Seeking to move on into patent law upon graduation from law school. My options at the moment look like these 3 schools. Illinois is offering about 2/3 tuition covered a year. Don't know about $$ at Wash U, but assume none for now. GW is also sticker from what they've sent me. I've (obviously) visited Illinois, and recently visited Wash U. Haven't gone out to GW, but at estimated 75k sticker a year I don't know if I want to. Looking for input on which school would be the best for my goals.

That is, I want to spend the least money possible to get the best leg up into the IP field when I graduate.

Thanks for any input.

HugerThanSoup

Bronze

Re: UoI ($) vs WUSTL vs GW

Post by HugerThanSoup » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Where do you want to work?

Honestly, it's going to be difficult to get a job out of any of these schools - at least if you're outside the top 15-25%. If Chicago is your thing (or anything else in the midwest, for that matter), then UoI hands down. If you're dead set on working in DC, then GW hands down. NYC, Boston, LA, Texas are all going to be hard to break into regardless so I'd say UoI. You really are going to want to limit your debt as much as possible.

weejonbu

Bronze

Post by weejonbu » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:41 pm

GW has one of the better IP programs in the nation. Given your hard science background, it sets you up for a good chance of going that route at GW. I was accepted there as well and also trying to consider if it is the best option, considering the cost. Seems like you would have at least one more reason than me to go there, as you want to do IP.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

GW at sticker is scary stuff. I would at least try and leverage money from them with the UoI money. That said they have the best IP program in the nation. If you want Chicago then UoI, if you want NY/DC/Boston then GW. WUSTL isn't even in question here.

MyManKanye

New

Post by MyManKanye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:09 pm

I don't have a location that I'm dead set on working. I'm most familiar with Chicago and the IP firms there, but I'm not opposed to working in any of the major metro areas. GW is tempting based on its location and its IP program, but you guys are just kind of confirming my concerns about piling up a mountain of debt and then not landing a job. I'd mostly been hoping that in another 3 years things would have picked up enough to bring the hiring prospects up, but the more I read, the more concerned I am.

Also, since you mentioned Boston, I did get into BU but I hadn't given it that much thought. I'm also on WL at Vandy and Cornell, but who knows with those things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:12 pm

UoI without a doubt. Ease of living, you don't need to move, and you are familiar with the area. This should help you do well. As this would also keep your debt relatively further down, its a good option.

MyManKanye

New

Post by MyManKanye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Don't know if it matters or not but Wash U just sent me my scholarship info. Comes out to be a bit more than half tuition a year. Another question though, I have been considering applying for a masters in my engineering discipline at the law school I settle at. I don't know how the name on your masters (or B.S. for that matter) affects potential IP employment, but U of I has the best engineering school of anywhere I've gotten in. Does anyone have any input on the masters being worthwhile or the engineering pedigree of the school you get it at vs. the law school's pedigree?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:33 pm

If you have >half-ride at WUSTL I would leverage and ask GW/UoI to match. If they don't I would just go to WUSTL.

MyManKanye

New

Post by MyManKanye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Well I actually got the same amount from U of I as Wash U, and U of I has instate tuition for me so proportionally that's the cheapest place. I've emailed GW asking if they can't help me out. We'll see what they say.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:35 pm

These are pretty much peer schools. GW is slightly better at biglaw/biggov placement due to its location, but UoI and WUSTL are pretty much the same.

I would take the $ at UoI if it is the cheapest, assuming of course you are okay living in the state (or close nearby) after graduation, which it sounds like you are.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:09 pm

If the money is the same AND you have in state this is a no brainer. Unless GW matches go to UoI.

MyManKanye

New

Post by MyManKanye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:22 pm

Ok then, let me ask this. If I could get off the WL at Vandy or Cornell, would it be worth taking sticker to go to those over GW/UIUC?

Thanks for keeping the opinions coming, by the way.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:40 pm

MyManKanye wrote:Ok then, let me ask this. If I could get off the WL at Vandy or Cornell, would it be worth taking sticker to go to those over GW/UIUC?

Thanks for keeping the opinions coming, by the way.
Hold on there. I think WUSTL is your best option so far. The cost difference is what? Less than $10k/year? Don't underestimate the importance of diversity in your resume. If you go to UIUC, you have only one alumni base to tap into. If you go to WUSTL, you have two. Since you have IL connections, you also double your markets (Chicago and St. Louis).

That being said, try to get off the WL at Cornell and Vandy.

MyManKanye

New

Post by MyManKanye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:53 pm

You're right, there's nothing wrong with WUSTL, but from what I've heard its at best no better than U of I with Chicago firms. I can see the appeal of another alumni base, but its 30k over three years, and a lot of hassle that I wouldn't have staying at U of I, just for the chance that an alumni helps me out out of school. Its not something I'd out of hand reject, but I'd probably need some convincing or more money. Which might be something they'd be willing to do, they've been nothing but accommodating so far.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”