At what schools (if any) would you pay sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
IamAskier

Bronze

At what schools (if any) would you pay sticker?

Post by IamAskier » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:05 pm

I was waitlisted over the weekend at ND (super reach for me, I was actually thrilled with the decision), and since WL admits can forget about $, I began wondering that even if admitted, could I risk the debt to attend. I understand what makes a school desirable to different people is extremely variable, but I'm just curious if anyone on TLS thinks paying sticker is ever "worth it", and at what schools one would pay such a premium.

Tanicius

Gold

Re: At what schools (if any) would you pay sticker?

Post by Tanicius » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:08 pm

HYS only. I am being serious. Employment prospects have been shot enough at CCN and up that in my opinion it's foolish to go to those schools at sticker unless A.) they're your only options, or B.) you have a specific and realistic plan for getting Biglaw.

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:13 pm

This depends so much on what you want from your three years in schools, what you want after you graduate, how risk averse you are, etc. If I wasn't interested in BigLaw I'd probably say HYS are the only schools worth sticker. For me personally, I'd pay sticker at any of the T10 (minus Boalt), and NU.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:16 pm

As a splitter, I'm feeling pretty good about paying sticker for a T14. I figured I was gonna pay a lot for any semi-decent school (thanks, GPA), so I might as well attend the best one that my numbers would allow.

Flustercluck

Bronze

Post by Flustercluck » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:19 pm

T13

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:19 pm

T14 + Cooley

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:This depends so much on what you want from your three years in schools, what you want after you graduate, how risk averse you are, etc. If I wasn't interested in BigLaw I'd probably say HYS are the only schools worth sticker. For me personally, I'd pay sticker at any of the T10 (minus Boalt), and NU.
I'm not averse to the risk of debt, of course as long as I'm employed and can it back (obviously). I wouldn't be thinking about 100k of loans for any school I applied to besides ND, and I was banking on a straight rejection. ND is my dream school, I just never considered how I'd ever pay for it.

As for post-grad employment, doesn't ND have an interesting reputation in biglaw circles? From what I've read on TLS it seems like ND grads place nationally relatively well (for a non-T14 school).

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Since I want to go into PI, I don't mind paying sticker as long as the school has a more-than-decent LRAP. My top choice is UVA and, as a splitter, I know I won't be getting money. I'm okay with that because their LRAP is awesome and I could end up paying very little for my legal education.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Yale, Harvard, Stanford. That is all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:24 pm

who told you ND grads place reasonably well in BigLaw circles?

not to be a killjoy, but ND's OCI numbers are dismal and they have no "home" market to corner for BigLaw firms (the closest, Chicago, will be beat out any day by UC and NU grads). i know the ND "alum network" card gets touted a lot, but i would be very, very surprised if the most recent 2L classes made even 25% for summer BigLaw placement ...

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Assuming I had no UG debt and was free to borrow any amount, T14. As a splitter HYS is out of the question, so I would spring for any T14 I could get.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:26 pm

Yale.

Strike out at Stanford or Harvard and you might as well have gone to Cooley.

Flustercluck

Bronze

Post by Flustercluck » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:31 pm

IamAskier wrote:As for post-grad employment, doesn't ND have an interesting reputation in biglaw circles? From what I've read on TLS it seems like ND grads place nationally relatively well (for a non-T14 school).
Did you hear this from ND admissions? Relatively well =/= well. Name recognition is one thing, but placement is an entirely different game. If you want BigLaw, you're placing a 200k bet down with a 25% chance of winning. Some people are comfortable with those odds, some are not. Will you find a job with an ND law degree? Most likely. Will it be a BigLaw job that will allow you to handle paying your debt down and still living a comfortable lifestyle? 25%.

I have a good friend who went ND Law, now works in the district attorney's office in one of the 10 worst cities in the US, and may get laid off due to budget cuts. ND =/= BiglawSecure

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:35 pm

expat17 wrote:who told you ND grads place reasonably well in BigLaw circles?

not to be a killjoy, but ND's OCI numbers are dismal and they have no "home" market to corner for BigLaw firms (the closest, Chicago, will be beat out any day by UC and NU grads). i know the ND "alum network" card gets touted a lot, but i would be very, very surprised if the most recent 2L classes made even 25% for summer BigLaw placement ...
I guess its the lack of a home market that forces ND grads to place nationally, so I can see that this could be a major issue. I think my logic process regarding ND may be skewed (case of emotion clouding reason). I just would be so depressed having to say no.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Flustercluck wrote:
IamAskier wrote:As for post-grad employment, doesn't ND have an interesting reputation in biglaw circles? From what I've read on TLS it seems like ND grads place nationally relatively well (for a non-T14 school).
Did you hear this from ND admissions? Relatively well =/= well. Name recognition is one thing, but placement is an entirely different game. If you want BigLaw, you're placing a 200k bet down with a 25% chance of winning. Some people are comfortable with those odds, some are not. Will you find a job with an ND law degree? Most likely. Will it be a BigLaw job that will allow you to handle paying your debt down and still living a comfortable lifestyle? 25%.

I have a good friend who went ND Law, now works in the district attorney's office in one of the 10 worst cities in the US, and may get laid off due to budget cuts. ND =/= BiglawSecure
ND is most likely going to be way below 25% ITE. A lot of firms that used to recruit from ND, WUSTL, etc. have been ONLY going to OCI at Chicago,NU, and Michigan.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Sentry wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:

ND is most likely going to be way below 25% ITE. A lot of firms that used to recruit from ND, WUSTL, etc. have been ONLY going to OCI at Chicago,NU, and Michigan.
Anyone seriously considering ND should do some research on this. I've heard that Notre Dame is still able to get an abnormally high number of mailers hired. Few people go to OCI and hire that way, but many more are willing to look at a Notre Dame app that comes across their desk. Of course, this would be terribly hard to confirm and only worth the effort if you were seriously considering going. I wouldn't just take anyones word for it on something like this.

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Sentry wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:

Due to my personal situation, if I attended ND I'd be looking at around a 100K of debt. Is biglaw the ONLY reasonable way to pay this off?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Surprised at the large number of HYS-only responses. Seems to be at odds with this (LinkRemoved) thread.
Last edited by Frankie55 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 pm

I an not as debt adverse as most TLSers so FWIW I would take half the T30 at sticker. I have had many discussion these boards how I fully believe that schools such as Fordham, BC and BU are worth the investment.

If I was a bit mroe debt adverse I would say T14+UT+Vandy. In fact I would take Vandy before taking Cornell or GULC in some cases.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:46 pm

IamAskier wrote:
Sentry wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:

Due to my personal situation, if I attended ND I'd be looking at around a 100K of debt. Is biglaw the ONLY reasonable way to pay this off?
If you will have 100k TOTAL when everything else is factored in (cost of living) I don't think its a bad investment.

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Figure "sticker" is tuition plus loan interest: 175K. (I don't count living expenses because I'd have them anyway plus I have my own resources for them.) And then there's the lost opportunity cost of not working in some other field for three years. Call that 100K at most, because I'm not confident about getting a well-paying job in another field over the next three years. I'm not qualified and the market is terrible.

Is a law degree going to increase my earnings by 275K over the course of my life? It's conjecture, but yes, I think so, easily. The current job environment is terrible, but over the long run law has been a lucrative field and I'm confident we'll have a return to normalcy sometime soon. Further, I really think law is what I was born to do; that I'll be good at it and will excel, with all the financial rewards that come with that.

So a law degree makes economic sense and I can see an argument that paying sticker at any accredited school is worth it. I'd probably keep away from fourth-tier schools, though, for fear of them losing accreditation some day.

I know that's not the fashionable answer on TLS, but that's how I feel. Just give me a law degree and I'll rise to the top and make a lot of money.

A scholly would sure be nice, though, lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:54 pm

IamAskier wrote:I'm not averse to the risk of debt, of course as long as I'm employed and can it back (obviously). I wouldn't be thinking about 100k of loans for any school I applied to besides ND, and I was banking on a straight rejection. ND is my dream school, I just never considered how I'd ever pay for it.

As for post-grad employment, doesn't ND have an interesting reputation in biglaw circles? From what I've read on TLS it seems like ND grads place nationally relatively well (for a non-T14 school).
Wut?

ND is considered one of the worst top regional schools on TLS, and TLS is probably right about that.

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:09 pm

bk187 wrote:
IamAskier wrote:I'm not averse to the risk of debt, of course as long as I'm employed and can it back (obviously). I wouldn't be thinking about 100k of loans for any school I applied to besides ND, and I was banking on a straight rejection. ND is my dream school, I just never considered how I'd ever pay for it.

Wut?

ND is considered one of the worst top regional schools on TLS, and TLS is probably right about that.
Do you mean they place poorly in their region or across the country?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:15 pm

IamAskier wrote:Do you mean they place poorly in their region or across the country?
Both.

Also, don't go to a regional school hoping it has a national pull, because it won't.

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:20 pm

bk187 wrote:
IamAskier wrote:Do you mean they place poorly in their region or across the country?
Both.

Also, don't go to a regional school hoping it has a national pull, because it won't.
I'm not so much worried about the national placement as I am about straight employment numbers/median salaries. If I'm taking debt I need to pay it back, I don't care as much where I work to do it. Some ND grads do go other places besides the midwest though, and the before mentioned alumni network couldn't hurt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”