Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:48 pm

firemed wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:

false analogy, everyone gets old...everyone doesnt become black


True... but it was ageist. Age discrimination is a factor for us "old" people.

This just popped up as I checked threads I posted in so I thought I'd say one last thing. The ages you guys are listing aren't even what I consider old. You guys are like my older cousins I hang with, who have kids, etc. Trust me, you'll have younger students more afraid of looking like a fool in front of you than vice versa. Plus, younger students tend to defer to your experience, even when we feel we may know more (which can happen). I didn't realize "ageism" was something L students worried about, it genuinely never crossed my mind. Especially because everyone is screaming at us everyday to take a couple years off even if we don't want to. I think that's the OP's fear...he'll feel like the only person who came out straight and he won't know how to relate. People study better in environments they're comfortable in...it's not even about the partying or any of that. We'll be much more worried about being quickly perceived as young book smart frat boys then you'll have to worry about being discriminated on based on age. This was an interesting perspective though, and after reading through the 30+ thread...you guys aren't that bad :lol: :lol: :lol: Truce?

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:This just popped up as I checked threads I posted in so I thought I'd say one last thing. The ages you guys are listing aren't even what I consider old. You guys are like my older cousins I hang with, who have kids, etc. Trust me, you'll have younger students more afraid of looking like a fool in front of you than vice versa. Plus, younger students tend to defer to your experience, even when we feel we may know more (which can happen). I didn't realize "ageism" was something L students worried about, it genuinely never crossed my mind. Especially because everyone is screaming at us everyday to take a couple years off even if we don't want to. I think that's the OP's fear...he'll feel like the only person who came out straight and he won't know how to relate. People study better in environments they're comfortable in...it's not even about the partying or any of that. We'll be much more worried about being quickly perceived as young book smart frat boys then you'll have to worry about being discriminated on based on age. This was an interesting perspective though, and after reading through the 30+ thread...you guys aren't that bad :lol: :lol: :lol: Truce?



Dude, I hate saying this, but I have to:

You have no idea what it is like to leave a good job and go to grad school and HOPE AND PRAY that someone will hire you. If you are older and don't get a job, you can't pay your mortgage, you can't feed your kids, you can't keep your marriage together. These are realities for us. Realities that are effected by the fact that employers don't want US, they want YOU. They want a 25-26 year old with no experience. So we have a lot more concerns about being discriminated based on our age than how our classmates will perceive us. I personally couldn't care less. All I care about is getting a job so my kiddo doesn't have to sleep in a cardboard box at night. And personally, I think that is a lot more important than how my 23 year old or even 55 year old classmate thinks of me.

Truce is fine in the sense that you seem like a perfectly nice person, and I have nothing against you, but seriously, the OP is ageist and you are an apologist for that. Not because you are bad, but because you just don't understand. Fine, whatever, we'll just leave it at that.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:32 pm

This is just silly. Really. Unless you're in a part-time program or a TTT super-regional, the majority of students will be traditional students and the number of people over the age of 30 isn't going to be so great as to give you any problems. It's ridiculous that y'all would think it could cause any problems. If you are worried about "deference to experience", it's time to grow a pair. I'm 25 and the people I work with daily are mostly between the ages of 35 and 60, with a few on either side to even it out. I'd be pretty useless in my job if I wasn't able to speak up when in the presence of more experienced people. If you do have problems with that, then you'd better get over it soon.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:44 pm

firemed wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:This just popped up as I checked threads I posted in so I thought I'd say one last thing. The ages you guys are listing aren't even what I consider old. You guys are like my older cousins I hang with, who have kids, etc. Trust me, you'll have younger students more afraid of looking like a fool in front of you than vice versa. Plus, younger students tend to defer to your experience, even when we feel we may know more (which can happen). I didn't realize "ageism" was something L students worried about, it genuinely never crossed my mind. Especially because everyone is screaming at us everyday to take a couple years off even if we don't want to. I think that's the OP's fear...he'll feel like the only person who came out straight and he won't know how to relate. People study better in environments they're comfortable in...it's not even about the partying or any of that. We'll be much more worried about being quickly perceived as young book smart frat boys then you'll have to worry about being discriminated on based on age. This was an interesting perspective though, and after reading through the 30+ thread...you guys aren't that bad :lol: :lol: :lol: Truce?



Dude, I hate saying this, but I have to:

You have no idea what it is like to leave a good job and go to grad school and HOPE AND PRAY that someone will hire you. If you are older and don't get a job, you can't pay your mortgage, you can't feed your kids, you can't keep your marriage together. These are realities for us. Realities that are effected by the fact that employers don't want US, they want YOU. They want a 25-26 year old with no experience. So we have a lot more concerns about being discriminated based on our age than how our classmates will perceive us. I personally couldn't care less. All I care about is getting a job so my kiddo doesn't have to sleep in a cardboard box at night. And personally, I think that is a lot more important than how my 23 year old or even 55 year old classmate thinks of me.

Truce is fine in the sense that you seem like a perfectly nice person, and I have nothing against you, but seriously, the OP is ageist and you are an apologist for that. Not because you are bad, but because you just don't understand. Fine, whatever, we'll just leave it at that.


To everything you just said, here here!! I vote for you

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:56 pm

geoduck wrote:This is just silly. Really. Unless you're in a part-time program or a TTT super-regional, the majority of students will be traditional students and the number of people over the age of 30 isn't going to be so great as to give you any problems. It's ridiculous that y'all would think it could cause any problems. If you are worried about "deference to experience", it's time to grow a pair. I'm 25 and the people I work with daily are mostly between the ages of 35 and 60, with a few on either side to even it out. I'd be pretty useless in my job if I wasn't able to speak up when in the presence of more experienced people. If you do have problems with that, then you'd better get over it soon.

I wasn't speaking about me personally I was trying to rationalize the guy's fears because at this point he's afraid to post LOL. But all that grow a pair stuff is what started this argument in the first place...talking down to someone without fulling knowing. I never assume anything about a person in real life, much less on the internet. I won't fault you for it though...it's mis-perception.

Firemed, I didn't get that at all (what you all felt his post was insinuating). I mean I come from very humble upbringings so I guess I block out other kind of disadvantages. I'm pretty much the only one in my neighborhood who did anything with their life so I'm unaware of any egregious examples of ageism unless we're talking about the elderly. I have had real jobs though, that's where I disagree. Every year since I was 14. Every internship I ever had was paid and they had me doing the same work as the normal associates. If anything I always felt that I had to prove I was more capable than expected. One I was passed over for because someone had more experience and I only got after they placed him into a different position. But looking back...even he was in his mid 20s. I guess I'll be more sensitive to this when I'm in law school this fall. Again, I'm not even arguing. I like your perspective because we're being groomed to be afraid of going in at our age (I'll be 21 when I start). I literally felt you all had the advantage so I didn't get why you were taking slight with what he said. Makes more sense now.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:03 pm

whoa whoa.. you guys need to chill out. I totally plan on having fun and meeting ppl in law school and still getting a good job. Every single one of my friends in law school have just as much, if not more, fun as they did in undergrad.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:11 pm

Young people have more fun, and old people profit! Sounds good! :lol:

There really doesn't need to be an argument. It really just sound like a social/environment preference.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:14 pm

r6_philly wrote:Young people have more fun, and old people profit! Sounds good! :lol:

There really doesn't need to be an argument. It really just sound like a social/environment preference.


So how can we get this thread renamed: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a resident Cougar population.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:Young people have more fun, and old people profit! Sounds good! :lol:

There really doesn't need to be an argument. It really just sound like a social/environment preference.


No there really does need to be an argument.

<-- is disappointed he missed the elderly versus youngster battle. :lol:

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:20 pm

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Young people have more fun, and old people profit! Sounds good! :lol:

There really doesn't need to be an argument. It really just sound like a social/environment preference.


No there really does need to be an argument.

<-- is disappointed he missed the elderly versus youngster battle. :lol:


Fine we an start a new one, you know I like to argue.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:25 pm

firemed wrote:Truce is fine in the sense that you seem like a perfectly nice person, and I have nothing against you, but seriously, the OP is ageist and you are an apologist for that. Not because you are bad, but because you just don't understand. Fine, whatever, we'll just leave it at that.


I don't think the OP is ageist, from what he said he had people in his UG classes who weren't full time students or something, which is something I'm sympathetic to.

It sounds like he may just need to realize that professional school is going to be viciously competitive? I don't think he needs to worry about the old people keeping up in law school, since we know we're not only trying to eat his lunch today, but his future lunches as well. Personally the more know-it-all snots in my class the better.

Ignatius Reilly
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:47 am

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:Young people have more fun, and old people profit! Sounds good! :lol:

There really doesn't need to be an argument. It really just sound like a social/environment preference.


IDK, in grad and ug the old guys tended to be party animals

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby dr123 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:35 pm

Don't most schools have an average starting age of 25? How the fuck is that "too old" for someone who is 22?

Ignatius Reilly
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:47 am

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:37 pm

dr123 wrote:Don't most schools have an average starting age of 25? How the fuck is that "too old" for someone who is 22?



maybe he doesnt have any confidence with the older ladies

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby Miracle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:48 pm

what's considered "mature" or "old"

30+?

HowdyYall
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby HowdyYall » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
dr123 wrote:Don't most schools have an average starting age of 25? How the fuck is that "too old" for someone who is 22?



maybe he doesnt have any confidence with the older ladies



yep, it takes a certain kind of man to attract older ladies. personally, i do pretty well with the 50-57 age range

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby Leira7905 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:00 am

Miracle wrote:what's considered "mature" or "old"

30+?

Lol... I guess that depends on who you ask.... In the context of this thread, I think "old" refers to those who are more than a year or two older than the average age for LS... Although, compared to me, that's still pretty young ;-)

But, for the record.... I think I'm doin pretty good for 31!

User avatar
cassidylane
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby cassidylane » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:33 am

If you are coming from undergrad and are not already established or settled down in an area or with a significant other or family (as I am generalizing that older people might be) then I think it is completely reasonable to want a law school where you think you will be able to make friends. I don't understand why it is bad to not want to be alone in a new place. And if you feel it will be easier to make friends with a community relatively close to you in age I think that's again completely reasonable.

That being said I think the vast majority of law schools will have a plurality of post-grads, as well as a good percentage of students one and two years out, meaning there will likely be plenty younger folk, so I do agree with what some people have said about not basing decisions on a median age.

To be fair, a socially inept girl I am currently in undergrad with said she'd been looking up the best "party law schools" and I laughed in her face before I could catch myself. I'm pretty sure she thinks she'll be joining a LS sorority...


Just my two cents. Some of you older folk are coming off a bit high and mighty, possibly because you might be forgetting that moving somewhere where you don't know anyone at 22 can be a bit daunting.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:22 am

I don't think anyone cares that OP wants to be able to hang out with folks their own age. I can relate. It's like being the only white person/man/woman/hispanic/fat guy/dude wearing an affliction shirt or whatever at a party. It's nice to have some folks around that you have common characteristics with.

It's comments like "there were a couple of older people in some of my classes" that made it seem like the idea of having to share a class with anyone older is a negative. The original post was stupid. Not because of the sentiment (looking for folks my own age) but because it was dumb. WTF kind of answer did they want? 24 is a young median age and 26 isn't?

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby firemed » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:27 am

cassidylane wrote:

Just my two cents. Some of you older folk are coming off a bit high and mighty, possibly because you might be forgetting that moving somewhere where you don't know anyone at 22 can be a bit daunting.



None of us got "high and mighty" because the OP or the apologist were complaining about worries about finding people with commonalities. We all mentioned that wasn't going to be an issue no matter where the OP went.

The question was poorly phrased, awkward, and insulting. That was the issue.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby Deuce » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:44 am

I'll be entering LS at either 23 or 24 years old, I'll let you know where I end up so you can avoid my old ass

TheStrand
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby TheStrand » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 am

Deuce wrote:I'll be entering LS at either 23 or 24 years old, I'll let you know where I end up so you can avoid my old ass


Lol 23 or 24 and you're applying to law school? Shouldn't you be applying for assisted living communities?

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby ahduth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:37 am

TheStrand wrote:
Deuce wrote:I'll be entering LS at either 23 or 24 years old, I'll let you know where I end up so you can avoid my old ass


Lol 23 or 24 and you're applying to law school? Shouldn't you be applying for assisted living communities?


I thought that's what law school was.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:37 am

ahduth wrote:
TheStrand wrote:
Deuce wrote:I'll be entering LS at either 23 or 24 years old, I'll let you know where I end up so you can avoid my old ass


Lol 23 or 24 and you're applying to law school? Shouldn't you be applying for assisted living communities?


I thought that's what law school was.


Somehow this is starting to sound like old people jokes again.

TheStrand
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby TheStrand » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:54 am

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:
TheStrand wrote:
Deuce wrote:I'll be entering LS at either 23 or 24 years old, I'll let you know where I end up so you can avoid my old ass


Lol 23 or 24 and you're applying to law school? Shouldn't you be applying for assisted living communities?


I thought that's what law school was.


Somehow this is starting to sound like old people jokes again.

More like "young people don't know what they're doing with themselves so they go to law school"/"something about dorm living" jokes maybe? I don't know what side of the tiff I'm on. I'm 23 but I feel ancient.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Applesauce11, Cjsanders2, jrbuckler, preppingaway, vm223 and 11 guests