Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby firemed » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:58 pm

sherpaorlawschool wrote:
I'm hoping you can elaborate on your statement a little more Firemed because I genuinely want to know more of your and other's thoughts on the matter. TLS gives me the impression that employers want you, not 25/26 year olds such as myself (when I graduate). Are you saying that some employers actually prefer younger to older? I was given the impression by TLS that employers always prefer older and as much work experience as possible is always beneficial. Regardless of whether my impressions reflect the reality of the situation, what I've read on the site has been helpful in determining my own readiness for law school.



There is a good discussion of this in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143047&start=300

Pages 13-16

User avatar
Hank Chill
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby Hank Chill » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:10 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Danteshek wrote:A 2009 college grad asked me to vote for him for Law Review Editor-in-Chief. I laughed.


Cool story bro. To think a 2009 college grad would presume that he is wise enough in the ways of the world to lead a T2 law review.


Lulz

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:48 am

firemed wrote:
sherpaorlawschool wrote:
I'm hoping you can elaborate on your statement a little more Firemed because I genuinely want to know more of your and other's thoughts on the matter. TLS gives me the impression that employers want you, not 25/26 year olds such as myself (when I graduate). Are you saying that some employers actually prefer younger to older? I was given the impression by TLS that employers always prefer older and as much work experience as possible is always beneficial. Regardless of whether my impressions reflect the reality of the situation, what I've read on the site has been helpful in determining my own readiness for law school.



There is a good discussion of this in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143047&start=300

Pages 13-16

That was a very valuable read and as you can see from sherp...it's crazy the amount of mixed signals out there. Because apparently our age is a benefit, but everyone else has been telling us otherwise. Like literally telling us to go do Teach For America, Peace Corps, etc., just because. (Mind you I would do these things just because Teach For America is something my hometown needs). I'm more inclined to believe you guys now after conferring with my father. He also talks about resentment about younger "fresh-faced" kids being older workers' superiors. That was a good convo you guys had there. I wish you all the best, I see that you said you have a family. How do you plan on managing the work/life balance when you're done with law school? Just something I've been thinking about in regards to the future...though I don't plan on starting a family until I'm a little younger than you are right now anyway.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby ahduth » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:07 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:That was a very valuable read and as you can see from sherp...it's crazy the amount of mixed signals out there. Because apparently our age is a benefit, but everyone else has been telling us otherwise. Like literally telling us to go do Teach For America, Peace Corps, etc., just because. (Mind you I would do these things just because Teach For America is something my hometown needs). I'm more inclined to believe you guys now after conferring with my father. He also talks about resentment about younger "fresh-faced" kids being older workers' superiors. That was a good convo you guys had there. I wish you all the best, I see that you said you have a family. How do you plan on managing the work/life balance when you're done with law school? Just something I've been thinking about in regards to the future...though I don't plan on starting a family until I'm a little younger than you are right now anyway.


Life sure is crazy with its mixed signals, isn't it? I'm going to start letting everyone know that they'll get into better schools with no work experience on their resume. And that their first real job interview should be the one that determines their ability to pay down over 200 thousand dollars of debt.

The takeaway for you guys (who are coming straight from UG) in that excerpt excerpt is that many big law firms want kids who they can cram through their 80 hour a week program without them questioning the hours or their activities. You're a good fit for these jobs as long as you're mature enough to take orders without whining. That's a clear advantage in the hiring process over non-trads who have other life experience to draw on - as you can see, that experience raises plenty of questions during the interview process compared with people coming straight from UG, who are viewed as a blank slate. Non-traditionals unfortunately have to find firms that can deal with the fact that we already have lives.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:40 am

ahduth wrote:The takeaway for you guys (who are coming straight from UG) in that excerpt excerpt is that many big law firms want kids who they can cram through their 80 hour a week program without them questioning the hours or their activities. You're a good fit for these jobs as long as you're mature enough to take orders without whining. That's a clear advantage in the hiring process over non-trads who have other life experience to draw on - as you can see, that experience raises plenty of questions during the interview process compared with people coming straight from UG, who are viewed as a blank slate. Non-traditionals unfortunately have to find firms that can deal with the fact that we already have lives.


Huh, interesting post. Anyway I assume by non-traditionals you mean people significantly older though, right? I've never really felt in a position to question my work hours and stuff like that but I also have never been with a firm for several years either. If I had been somewhere for several years though I could see that being a possibility though.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Postby Danteshek » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Agreed. There is not way I'm going to let a firm abuse me when I graduate at age 30. I will work hard, but I will not accept abusive behavior from the partners. I would rather work for myself, a smaller firm, or the government. Kids, on the other hand, are more likely to want to take it up the ass. They don't know any better.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], LandMermaid and 9 guests