Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jack Smirks

Silver

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Post by Jack Smirks » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Leira7905 wrote:Out of curiosity, why is the average age of the student body so important to you? I mean, I'm 31, will be 32 shortly after starting 1L, but the fact that the average age of my classmates is 24 doesn't really bother me at all. I am admittedly a little concerned about what potential employers will think about my being older (whether they'll find my maturity and experience to be an asset or liability) but as far as classmates go, what's the difference? Are you worried about making friends or what?

Honestly, I would think it would be better for someone your age to be around some people who are a little older... may help your maturity... keep you out of trouble and focused on the books...
Dude nobody wants to hang out with you grandpa. Why is it so hard for you to understand?

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:37 pm

naterj wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:Out of curiosity, why is the average age of the student body so important to you? I mean, I'm 31, will be 32 shortly after starting 1L, but the fact that the average age of my classmates is 24 doesn't really bother me at all. I am admittedly a little concerned about what potential employers will think about my being older (whether they'll find my maturity and experience to be an asset or liability) but as far as classmates go, what's the difference? Are you worried about making friends or what?

Honestly, I would think it would be better for someone your age to be around some people who are a little older... may help your maturity... keep you out of trouble and focused on the books...
Dude nobody wants to hang out with you grandpa. Why is it so hard for you to understand?
That would be "grandMA"

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:41 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Honestly I think the guy's concern is simple. He's coming right out of underage and is used to having friends that are his age. Someone that age will probably feel more comfortable studying and hanging out with people in their age group as opposed to someone who is 28+. I mean in undergrad (which I am in now and will be graduating), I think I had one good friend who was like 28, but he was engaged and just got married, etc. There wasn't much we talked about outside of the course material and we definitely didn't hang out in the same spots. It's just about where you are in your life, and when you're out of that law school environment and just want to hang out...you tend to hang out with people who you have more in common with. I have a friend at UMich law right now who went straight from undergrad....most of the people she hangs out with are her age and then she hangs out with people still around her area that were in her senior class (undergrad) to escape the law school "bubble". Cut the guy some slack. It'll be a deal breaker for more people than you think.

P.S. As someone going directly from undergrad....I always am slightly bothered by older law school students who always feel the need to talk up their "maturity" and assume age = maturity. Or that still liking to have fun, and being younger = immaturity. This isn't directed at anyone in particular. OP, what range of schools are you applying to? A lot of them specifically break down age demographics on their site. I.E. Harvard, Columbia (both impossible to get into...I'm just saying).
Sorry, Sport. Didn't mean to imply that younger = immaturity, kiddo. :wink:

I kid. I think the reason why older students want to talk up their maturity, is because we realize that in some cases our age will be seen as a disadvantage (as I mentioned). "Mature" sounds better than "old." However, in many cases (though not all, obviously) maturity does come with age.

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:50 pm

I would add that older generally means more work experience (I'm leaving it up to others to speculate as to whether WE -> maturity). There's always a noticeable difference when I hang out with seniors in undergrad and when I hang out with people who've been working a few years; regardless of the number of part time jobs a person holds in undergrad, there's something about being in a full time job that changes people. The difference is not necessarily a good or bad thing, but it's there.

OP: Unless you're attending a part time program, I would find it difficult to believe that there's going to be any law schools where there aren't going to be a group of people around your age.

folkitup123

New

Post by folkitup123 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:OP, what range of schools are you applying to? A lot of them specifically break down age demographics on their site. I.E. Harvard, Columbia (both impossible to get into...I'm just saying).
Wake Forest and American, for example, report "average age: 24". This, IMO, is tough to gauge. Same goes for Tulane which reports a median of 24.8.

Twitty from W&L says this: "Over the past few years, our median age for our incoming class has ranged from 23 to 25, and typically 40 – 50% of the students in our first-year class come directly from undergrad. We have always been a younger law school, and there are likely many reasons for this. We offer no part-time or evening program, and almost all of our admitted students are not in the Lexington area, so a complete relocation is required before they can start law school at W&L."

These are good points and provide clearer insight into the composition of the 1st year class.

I'm reluctant to ask another question on this forum but... does anyone have personal experience at Wake, Tulane, American, W&M, W&L, or Temple? What about SJU, BLS, Cardozo?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:17 pm

this dude has a valid point, quit hating

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:21 pm

I would guess, though I have no research supporting this, that all the top schools are going to be fairly diverse, if not filled up with a lot of people who took at least a couple years off. It just seems like the decision to take a full ride at Michigan State over an acceptance at Michigan is an easier call for someone to make when they haven't had the real world experience of their humanity degree being crushed by the timeless equation, useless degree+garbage state school= have fun bagging them groceries. Also, undergrads in general seem more pressured to just get apps out and done and take whatever comes back their way. They often don't do the research or put in the time to make sure they are doing the process right. Of course, there are exceptions to all of this and the TLS community seems to be comprised of them, but it makes sense. I botched last cycle, did a bit better this year, but am considering sitting out once more simply because I know I could get better offers at better schools that would serve me better just by approaching apps a bit differently.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:I have a friend at UMich law right now who went straight from undergrad....most of the people she hangs out with are her age and then she hangs out with people still around her area that were in her senior class (undergrad) to escape the law school "bubble". Cut the guy some slack. It'll be a deal breaker for more people than you think.
This is fair. I sure as fuck wouldn't want to go to school with a bunch of 21-22 year olds, so I guess I can't complain about the reverse.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:31 pm

For the record, I'm not saying that older students are more mature. I know too many old people. I also get that, all other things being equal, finding a school where more people are like you might make the experience of law school more pleasant. I'm older and I plan to go to Northwestern.

My point is that the "other things" in the italicized phrase above are usually much more important than average age. If OP gets into a bunch of mid-atlantic T1 schools, and after looking at the cost/benefits of each ends up choosing between (say) W&L with money and GW, it makes perfect sense for him to pick W&L because he thinks he'll fit in better. But starting his search by only applying to schools with a median age of 24 and excluding all the ones with a median age of 25 is kind of silly.

My other point is that if you're looking for younger students, you can't claim you don't have an age bias. Sorry to nitpick, but I just thought that thing he said was funny.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Honestly I think the guy's concern is simple. He's coming right out of underage and is used to having friends that are his age. Someone that age will probably feel more comfortable studying and hanging out with people in their age group as opposed to someone who is 28+. I mean in undergrad (which I am in now and will be graduating), I think I had one good friend who was like 28, but he was engaged and just got married, etc. There wasn't much we talked about outside of the course material and we definitely didn't hang out in the same spots. It's just about where you are in your life, and when you're out of that law school environment and just want to hang out...you tend to hang out with people who you have more in common with. I have a friend at UMich law right now who went straight from undergrad....most of the people she hangs out with are her age and then she hangs out with people still around her area that were in her senior class (undergrad) to escape the law school "bubble". Cut the guy some slack. It'll be a deal breaker for more people than you think.

P.S. As someone going directly from undergrad....I always am slightly bothered by older law school students who always feel the need to talk up their "maturity" and assume age = maturity. Or that still liking to have fun, and being younger = immaturity. This isn't directed at anyone in particular. OP, what range of schools are you applying to? A lot of them specifically break down age demographics on their site. I.E. Harvard, Columbia (both impossible to get into...I'm just saying).
First off, I can see what you mean by wanting to have people with stuff in common with you.... BUT: A) no matter where you go to LS there will be people your age there (more than less given the average age) and B) get used to it. I challenge you to find a law firm, judicial clerkship, DA's office, etc where the average age is 26. You know what? It'll be good practice to talk to older people while you are there. Also, C) frankly I have friends who went to LS and just hung out with their 23 year old friends... and after they got done drinking and graduated middle of their class they couldn't find jobs. Maybe it would be better not to have any friends and get a job than the other way around. I am not going to LS for the social experience per se, I know it will happen some, and I will get good contacts for the future... but mostly I just want to do well and get a job. THIS IS A PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL! Party in undergrad and move on to the adult world 22 year olds.

That is all.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:42 pm

firemed wrote:

First off, I can see what you mean by wanting to have people with stuff in common with you.... BUT: A) no matter where you go to LS there will be people your age there (more than less given the average age) and B) get used to it. I challenge you to find a law firm, judicial clerkship, DA's office, etc where the average age is 26. You know what? It'll be good practice to talk to older people while you are there. Also, C) frankly I have friends who went to LS and just hung out with their 23 year old friends... and after they got done drinking and graduated middle of their class they couldn't find jobs. Maybe it would be better not to have any friends and get a job than the other way around. I am not going to LS for the social experience per se, I know it will happen some, and I will get good contacts for the future... but mostly I just want to do well and get a job. THIS IS A PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL! Party in undergrad and move on to the adult world 22 year olds.

That is all.
+1

eaglemuncher

Bronze

Post by eaglemuncher » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

I agree with firemed.

Also, no matter where you go the majority of the students are going to be in there mid 20's. I just looked up CUNY's numbers because I remembered that it is considered very welcoming of older students. There median age is 26. This is a non-issue. You are not going to find a school where you have to go to class with all 40 year olds.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:49 pm

firemed wrote:

That is all.
Your exactly the type of individual I'm talking about. FUll of assumptions and talking about nothing but your own perspective. Failed to specifically understand what I was getting at and felt the need to "educate" me. Please. I'm done with this thread. If you need further help OP, PM me. I'll see if I can get in touch with an ex-classmate who is a 1L at Wake. I guess I'm not "mature" enough to understand these people and their "worldly" experiences.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:50 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:I agree with firemed.

Also, no matter where you go the majority of the students are going to be in there mid 20's. I just looked up CUNY's numbers because I remembered that it is considered very welcoming of older students. There median age is 26. This is a non-issue. You are not going to find a school where you have to go to class with all 40 year olds.
Although OP should be advised that he will have to deal daily with 40 year old, 50 year old, and even 70 year old clients and co-workers should he succeed in becoming an attorney.

eaglemuncher

Bronze

Post by eaglemuncher » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
firemed wrote:

That is all.
Your exactly the type of individual I'm talking about. FUll of assumptions and talking about nothing but your own perspective. Failed to specifically understand what I was getting at and felt the need to "educate" me. Please. I'm done with this thread. If you need further help OP, PM me. I'll see if I can get in touch with an ex-classmate who is a 1L at Wake. I guess I'm not "mature" enough to understand these people and their "worldly" experiences.
Relax Sport

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote: Your exactly the type of individual I'm talking about. FUll of assumptions and talking about nothing but your own perspective. Failed to specifically understand what I was getting at and felt the need to "educate" me. Please. I'm done with this thread. If you need further help OP, PM me. I'll see if I can get in touch with an ex-classmate who is a 1L at Wake. I guess I'm not "mature" enough to understand these people and their "worldly" experiences.
It's not about age, buddy. You're just a dipshit.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:55 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote: Your exactly the type of individual I'm talking about. FUll of assumptions and talking about nothing but your own perspective. Failed to specifically understand what I was getting at and felt the need to "educate" me. Please. I'm done with this thread. If you need further help OP, PM me. I'll see if I can get in touch with an ex-classmate who is a 1L at Wake. I guess I'm not "mature" enough to understand these people and their "worldly" experiences.
This is why I love TLS

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:58 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

:lol: ...and its you're not your, Son.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:58 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Name-calling screams maturity doesn't it? To the person who said "grandma" before...I understood her. She's cool, I like her. But you're exactly the type my friend doesn't like at law school....oh and she did very well first semester being "22" and having friends at that age. My point was simple, don't try to tell me to grow up as if I'm not without any justification for it. Your tone set me off. I know exactly what law school is about, part of it is avoiding guys like you. Understand everyone doesn't operate, study, learn or WANT to be like you. Others carry themselves different, but when it's business time they're ready. I'm not going to argue on the net further, but your "blah blah blah....THAT IS ALL" talk irks me. But don't try to paint it like I wasn't respectful to everyone before you started attempting to talk down to me. Primary example of someone who hasn't "grown up" yet. Sorry OP for this turn. Dammit...you're not even the person I originally quoted, what's your deal?

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:03 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Others carry themselves different, but when it's business time they're ready.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
johnnyutah wrote: It's not about age, buddy. You're just a dipshit.
Name-calling screams maturity doesn't it? To the person who said "grandma" before...I understood her. She's cool, I like her. But you're exactly the type my friend doesn't like at law school....oh and she did very well first semester being "22" and having friends at that age. My point was simple, don't try to tell me to grow up as if I'm not without any justification for it. Your tone set me off. I know exactly what law school is about, part of it is avoiding guys like you. Understand everyone doesn't operate, study, learn or WANT to be like you. Others carry themselves different, but when it's business time they're ready. I'm not going to argue on the net further, but your "blah blah blah....THAT IS ALL" talk irks me. But don't try to paint it like I wasn't respectful to everyone before you started attempting to talk down to me. Primary example of someone who hasn't "grown up" yet. Sorry OP for this turn.
Actually... I was the "That is All" guy. Not Johnny.

Secondly, tone on the internet is a weird thing. Oftentimes we hear what we think we will hear, not what was said.

Third, seriously... you need to learn how to take a fucking lecture. That was nothing, kind of polite, really. Wait until you screw something up in the real world, sport. A real ass chewing will make you feel like a 12 year old kid again. If you can't handle my little lecture (which was mostly my opinion, not fact) then you should really spend some time at a boot camp or something to prepare for the day when a typo you made lands you in the bosses office trying not to pee yourself. And don't think I am being all superior, because as all us old farts know, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US WILL BE THERE SOMEDAY! Even us old farts. The only difference between us and you is the fact that we will have lived through this a couple times already.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:09 pm

firemed wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:
johnnyutah wrote: It's not about age, buddy. You're just a dipshit.
Name-calling screams maturity doesn't it? To the person who said "grandma" before...I understood her. She's cool, I like her. But you're exactly the type my friend doesn't like at law school....oh and she did very well first semester being "22" and having friends at that age. My point was simple, don't try to tell me to grow up as if I'm not without any justification for it. Your tone set me off. I know exactly what law school is about, part of it is avoiding guys like you. Understand everyone doesn't operate, study, learn or WANT to be like you. Others carry themselves different, but when it's business time they're ready. I'm not going to argue on the net further, but your "blah blah blah....THAT IS ALL" talk irks me. But don't try to paint it like I wasn't respectful to everyone before you started attempting to talk down to me. Primary example of someone who hasn't "grown up" yet. Sorry OP for this turn.
Actually... I was the "That is All" guy. Not Johnny.

Secondly, tone on the internet is a weird thing. Oftentimes we hear what we think we will hear, not what was said.

Third, seriously... you need to learn how to take a fucking lecture. That was nothing, kind of polite, really. Wait until you screw something up in the real world, sport. A real ass chewing will make you feel like a 12 year old kid again. If you can't handle my little lecture (which was mostly my opinion, not fact) then you should really spend some time at a boot camp or something to prepare for the day when a typo you made lands you in the bosses office trying not to pee yourself. And don't think I am being all superior, because as all us old farts know, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US WILL BE THERE SOMEDAY! Even us old farts. The only difference between us and you is the fact that we will have lived through this a couple times already.
I don't take lectures from anyone who A) isn't my boss or B) has somehow earned my respect for some reason. Some random person telling me to grow up without knowing what it took for me to even get to where I'm at in the world is never going to be on my good side. Furthermore, perhaps I misunderstood tone...but it's not the first time I've been apart of that debate on TLS. Probably won't be the last. It's something my friends in LS had to deal with before too and these guys are at the top of their class. I'm not even mad....look at my username...it's just like that annoying fly that keeps coming back. If I was mad I probably would've made a more personal remark...but you're right, I guess that's the internet. LOL@ you telling me to grow up though when all I did was rationalize the guy's question when you all were joking on him. I never even stated that I personally cared about age.

Hank Chill

Bronze

Post by Hank Chill » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:13 pm

:lol:

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:I don't take lectures from anyone who A) isn't my boss or B) has somehow earned my respect for some reason. Some random person telling me to grow up without knowing what it took for me to even get to where I'm at in the world is never going to be on my good side. Furthermore, perhaps I misunderstood tone...but it's not the first time I've been apart of that debate on TLS. Probably won't be the last. It's something my friends in LS had to deal with before too and these guys are at the top of their class. I'm not even mad....look at my username...it's just like that annoying fly that keeps coming back. If I was mad I probably would've made a more personal remark...but you're right, I guess that's the internet. LOL@ you telling me to grow up though when all I did was rationalize the guy's question when you all were joking on him. I never even stated that I personally cared about age.
You're an idiot who takes himself orders of magnitude more seriously than is warranted. Just stop posting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”