Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WVUguy11

Bronze

Re: Help! Looking to attend a LS with a 'younger' 1L Class

Post by WVUguy11 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:21 pm

Personally I am nice at reelin in the 80+ ladies.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:35 pm

Why am I being referred as "the apologist?" WTF LOL? That's a great alias to have :lol:

But let me pose this hypothetical to you. If a guy asked about which law schools have relatively large LGBT or affinity group presences would you come down on his throat for that? Go read his original post, interchange LGBT for age and it's the same question. I'm posing this as in sit in my philosophy class in boredom and oddly enough someone brought up the word "ageism" as we're discussing egalitarian theories, etc. I had to come back to this thread.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:41 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Why am I being referred as "the apologist?" WTF LOL? That's a great alias to have :lol:

But let me pose this hypothetical to you. If a guy asked about which law schools have relatively large LGBT or affinity group presences would you come down on his throat for that? Go read his original post, interchange LGBT for age and it's the same question. I'm posing this as in sit in my philosophy class in boredom and oddly enough someone brought up the word "ageism" as we're discussing egalitarian theories, etc. I had to come back to this thread.
let's try some word substitutions:

OP wrote:
I would much prefer an entering class comprised largely of recent college grads

But if OP wrote:
I would much prefer an entering class comprised largely of white people
I would much prefer an entering class comprised largely of Asian girls
I would much prefer an entering class comprised largely of none-straight people
I would much prefer an entering class comprised largely of smart people
I would much prefer an entering class comprised largely of international students
I would much prefer an entering class comprised largely of engineering majors
etc ...

What do you think? What's acceptable, what's not?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm okay with an older class as long as there's a good cougar ratio.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:44 pm

I need to stop posting this thread before I get in a lot of trouble lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:47 pm

ahduth wrote:I need to stop posting this thread before I get in a lot of trouble lol.
Do it!

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:Why am I being referred as "the apologist?" WTF LOL? That's a great alias to have :lol:

OP wrote:

But if OP wrote:
I would much prefer an entering class comprised largely of international students
etc ...

I see your point LOL. It's all subjective so let's not use any of them. Another thing that's going on in this class that's completely unrelated to this point, but since we're posting hypos...well actually it's not a hypo I believe it's a real case.

I think a few years ago there was a gulf player who could play, but some disability prevented him from being able to walk that distance. But all the other players could. The question was should special accommodations be made for the guy? It was an actual case and the prof hasn't told us how it ended yet, but all of the guys in the class who have played sports are saying no because that's the point of sports....everyone can't do it. I'm on the verge of sididng with them...I'd go into mroe detail, but I'm getting that look right now from my prof. BB in 5 minutes.

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:00 pm

I blame our age segregated school system for this single age socialization problem

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:01 pm

mala2 wrote:I blame our age segregated school system for this single age socialization problem
My HS was k-12. Kids don't mingle as much as they should/could.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Look at the olds ganging up on OP's alt. Those vultures saw this thread and swarmed like sunday morning at an old country buffett. Don't worry, I get you.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:37 pm

A 2009 college grad asked me to vote for him for law review editor-in-Chief. I laughed.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:

OP wrote:

But if OP wrote:
etc ...

Rather than focusing on wording, perhaps the OP's question could have been asked and answered in a different (not offensive).

I hear OP saying that he wants to be in a LS environment where he will feel comfortable... I mean, we all do to some extent.
So OP should have done what the rest of us are doing/have done:

1. Send out a number of applications to a variety of schools that you might like to attend
2. After receiving acceptances and scholly offers, narrow your choices down to a handful (two/three/four) that you would most like to attend based on rankings, cost, location, job prospects, and programs offered.
3. Then take that short list, and go visit the campuses, talk to students who go there or have gone there to get a feel for the "vibe" to see if you'll likely fit in.

Putting narrow, closed minded requirements (like an age limit) on the student body in a public forum, is just ridiculous.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:23 pm

That's what we all do, but we usually keep our subjective preferences to ourselves instead of stating it categorically and trying to find concrete answers from strangers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:

OP wrote:

But if OP wrote:
etc ...

lol@non-straight people. that would be awesome

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:35 pm

Danteshek wrote:A 2009 college grad asked me to vote for him for Law Review Editor-in-Chief. I laughed.

Same sh!t different side.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:45 pm

In all honesty, I'm fresh out of college and through I'd get along better with others in the same boat. But, you really can't tell the difference. I know people who are 30, married and until they actually told me their age I never would have guessed. Even the old people don't seem to ACT old.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Also, it's pretty obvious that age brings maturity, just ask bp

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:06 pm

Danteshek wrote:A 2009 college grad asked me to vote for him for Law Review Editor-in-Chief. I laughed.
Cool story bro. To think a 2009 college grad would presume that he is wise enough in the ways of the world to lead a T2 law review.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:15 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Cool story bro. To think a 2009 college grad would presume that he is wise enough in the ways of the world to leada T2 law reviewninety people.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:15 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Cool story bro. To think a 2009 college grad would presume that he is wise enough in the ways of the world to lead a T2 law review ninety people.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Look at the olds ganging up on OP's alt. Those vultures saw this thread and swarmed like sunday morning at an old country buffett. Don't worry, I get you.

dont make me use my cane!!!

AND GET OFF MY LAWN YOU MEDDLILNG RASCAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:43 pm

This thread has taken a hilarious turn. Whenever I hear "cool story bro" I know I'm in the right place.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:47 pm

If you are deciding between Rutgers and W&L based on a ~2-year age difference between median 1Ls, then you seriously need to do more research on how to pick a law school.

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:27 am

r6_philly wrote:

OP wrote:

But if OP wrote:
etc ...

All of them.

sherpaorlawschool

Bronze

Post by sherpaorlawschool » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:11 pm

firemed wrote: Dude, I hate saying this, but I have to:

You have no idea what it is like to leave a good job and go to grad school and HOPE AND PRAY that someone will hire you. If you are older and don't get a job, you can't pay your mortgage, you can't feed your kids, you can't keep your marriage together. These are realities for us. Realities that are effected by the fact that employers don't want US, they want YOU. They want a 25-26 year old with no experience. So we have a lot more concerns about being discriminated based on our age than how our classmates will perceive us. I personally couldn't care less. All I care about is getting a job so my kiddo doesn't have to sleep in a cardboard box at night. And personally, I think that is a lot more important than how my 23 year old or even 55 year old classmate thinks of me.

Truce is fine in the sense that you seem like a perfectly nice person, and I have nothing against you, but seriously, the OP is ageist and you are an apologist for that. Not because you are bad, but because you just don't understand. Fine, whatever, we'll just leave it at that.
I'm hoping you can elaborate on your statement a little more Firemed because I genuinely want to know more of your and other's thoughts on the matter. TLS gives me the impression that employers want you, not 25/26 year olds such as myself (when I graduate). Are you saying that some employers actually prefer younger to older? I was given the impression by TLS that employers always prefer older and as much work experience as possible is always beneficial. Regardless of whether my impressions reflect the reality of the situation, what I've read on the site has been helpful in determining my own readiness for law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”