UT ($$$) vs. UVA ($$) vs. Stanford

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Gaby

UT ($$$) vs. UVA ($$) vs. Stanford

Postby Gaby » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi,

I know that this may seem like a ridiculous question, but I'm unsure of how to weigh these options.
I'm interested in going into media law/intellectual property and potentially returning to academia as a faculty or staff member in the future. I really and truly do not want a huge pile of loans when I graduate, and so this is where this post comes in.

UT- I have in-state tuition and a half scholarship which I'm sure I could negotiate. Cost of living is low, I have a strong support system with friends and family nearby, and no airfare for visits would be a huge bonus. Plus, I love Austin.

UVA- has a great program for both IP and media law (media law is a rare thing to find). I love the atmosphere and vibe I got from the school, the building is amazing, and I have a half merit scholarship.

Stanford- they don't give out merit scholarships and cost of living is way above what I can afford, but how could i say no? They are #2 in the country for IP, they have beautiful weather, the prestige, and I love the idea of their grading system. Plus, never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of getting in here. I've never been to California, but it could be an adventure!

There are a bunch of other things that I have taken into consideration, this is just a quick summation. Could I make Stanford work? (omg!)

Thank you for any advice and opinions.

johnnyutah

Re: UT ($$$) vs. UVA ($$) vs. Stanford

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Gaby wrote:Hi,

I know that this may seem like a ridiculous question, but I'm unsure of how to weigh these options.
I'm interested in going into media law/intellectual property and potentially returning to academia as a faculty or staff member in the future. I really and truly do not want a huge pile of loans when I graduate, and so this is where this post comes in.

UT- I have in-state tuition and a half scholarship which I'm sure I could negotiate. Cost of living is low, I have a strong support system with friends and family nearby, and no airfare for visits would be a huge bonus. Plus, I love Austin.

UVA- has a great program for both IP and media law (media law is a rare thing to find). I love the atmosphere and vibe I got from the school, the building is amazing, and I have a half merit scholarship.

Stanford- they don't give out merit scholarships and cost of living is way above what I can afford, but how could i say no? They are #2 in the country for IP, they have beautiful weather, the prestige, and I love the idea of their grading system. Plus, never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of getting in here. I've never been to California, but it could be an adventure!

There are a bunch of other things that I have taken into consideration, this is just a quick summation. Could I make Stanford work? (omg!)

Thank you for any advice and opinions.

If you want the option of academia, you need to go to Stanford.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:04 pm

I chose UT in-state with a 2/3's scholarship over UVA with a 1/2 scholarship because I knew I wanted to stay in Texas after graduation, I wanted to limit debt, and I have a support system in Austin and DFW. So far I have been very happy with my decision--I think the professors are amazing, I love Austin, etc.

All that said, I don't know how you can turn down Stanford, especially with a strong interest in IP, and very especially if you want to give yourself the best chance at academia.

I think you have three pretty amazing choices. I don't think there's an obvious "mistake" choice, but Stanford seems like the most obvious "correct" choice.
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:06 pm

I'm interested to hear what people say about this decision!
Gaby wrote:Stanford- they don't give out merit scholarships and cost of living is way above what I can afford, but how could i say no? They are #2 in the country for IP, they have beautiful weather, the prestige, and I love the idea of their grading system. Plus, never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of getting in here. I've never been to California, but it could be an adventure!

^similar to what I am thinking right now..

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Oh who are you kidding you're going to go to Stanford.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:15 pm

No wrong decision--so long as you chose Stanford.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:18 pm

If you're having a bad day, remember that your troubles consist of choosing between three awesome options. My gut would say Stanford, but you don't have my gut, so good luck on deciding.

blink

Postby blink » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:28 pm

you are one lucky bastard. congrats.

Gaby

Postby Gaby » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Thank you all for your opinions!

It helped me to confirm that there isn't something I was overlooking.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:04 pm

All three are great choices. However, if you are interested in academia Stanford is the clear front runner.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:38 pm

I heard that Stanford is pretty generous with need-based aid. I would not assume you will be paying sticker. Start filling out the FAFSA and Need Access if you have not already.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:39 pm

Take the loans and go to Stanford. It'll open doors for you.

Casey2889

Postby Casey2889 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:26 am

SLS

/thread

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:28 am

Stanford. It's not even close.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:30 am

Stanford.

Mottiliatta

Postby Mottiliatta » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:08 am

Please go to Stanford. I don't think that I could live in a world where somebody in your shoes did not choose Stanford.

Gaby

Postby Gaby » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:27 pm

sarahh wrote:I heard that Stanford is pretty generous with need-based aid. I would not assume you will be paying sticker. Start filling out the FAFSA and Need Access if you have not already.

That's comforting. I've already started to fill them out.
Really, if they come through with some sort of aid then there is no other reason not to go. That's all I wanted to know from this thread.

Thank you so much! I think I know what my decision will be. :D

Return to “Choosing a Law School”