If Going to Law School in Louisiana QUESTION

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cooper17

If Going to Law School in Louisiana QUESTION

Postby cooper17 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:54 am

If you are going to study law in Louisiana at..lets say..Loyola or possibly LSU...should you take the Common Law route or the Civil Law route...or does anyone know if there is a combo package where you can study a lil of both?

Aqualibrium

Re: If Going to Law School in Louisiana QUESTION

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:17 pm

cooper17 wrote:If you are going to study law in Louisiana at..lets say..Loyola or possibly LSU...should you take the Common Law route or the Civil Law route...or does anyone know if there is a combo package where you can study a lil of both?

You can study ALL of both. I think LSU requires you to do both.

maw

Postby maw » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:25 pm

I would assume that you should study common law if you're planning on ever leaving Louisiana. I know that Tulane has a combo of civil and common law. I'm not sure about the others.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:35 pm

maw wrote:I would assume that you should study common law if you're planning on ever leaving Louisiana. I know that Tulane has a combo of civil and common law. I'm not sure about the others.

All the school's in LA teach both. If I remember correctly: Tulane and Loyola allow you to choose whether you want to do only common law or both common and civil law. LSU requires you to do both common and civil law.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:46 pm

I don't understand why you wouldn't do both if you're planning to practice in Louisiana.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:09 pm

A few years ago, LSU extended its J.D. progaram from 6 semesters to 7 and required everyone to take both civil and common law. You got out with two degrees, the Juris Doctor and a Bachelor of Civil Law. Don't know if it's still that way, though, and who wants another semester of law school?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”