Where should I go for PI/govt?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go to school?

Georgetown
20%
NYU
60%
UVA
20%

Total votes: 60

jimraynor

Where should I go for PI/govt?

Postby jimraynor » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:51 am

I'm primarily interested in PI/Govt in the DC area. I was wondering if this has an impact on school selection within the T14.
I'm in at Georgetown, UVA, and NYU. It seems that ITE UVA and NYU are faring a bit better overall. I just don't have any real way to evaluate how important it is to attend school in the region I wish to work.

Thoughts?

nbaguy

Re: Where should I go for PI/govt?

Postby nbaguy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:56 am

If all at sticker, UVA > NYU > Georgetown.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:58 am

nbaguy wrote:If all at sticker, UVA > NYU > Georgetown.

Why on earth would you put UVA above NYU. PI/Govt is NYUs bread n' butter.

jimraynor

Postby jimraynor » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks!

Yeah, I am assuming they are all going to be at/near sticker

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:53 pm

jimraynor wrote:I'm primarily interested in PI/Govt in the DC area. I was wondering if this has an impact on school selection within the T14.
I'm in at Georgetown, UVA, and NYU. It seems that ITE UVA and NYU are faring a bit better overall. I just don't have any real way to evaluate how important it is to attend school in the region I wish to work.

Thoughts?

Are you in-state for UVA?

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:02 pm

What kind of PI/government are you interested in? I would recommend searching for attorney profiles at organizations that interest you because some organizations have particularly strong ties to certain law schools. This type of research proved to be very helpful in giving me an idea of what schools I should target. HTH!

jimraynor

Postby jimraynor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:41 am

vamedic03 wrote:
jimraynor wrote:I'm primarily interested in PI/Govt in the DC area. I was wondering if this has an impact on school selection within the T14.

Thoughts?

Yup.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:43 am

NYU is clearly, clearly, clearly the best school. Especially for your interests. I absolutely love UVa, location-wise and QoL-wise. But do not turn down NYU. You might not regret it, since UVa is a great option, but NYU will open up more doors especially in PI/Gov't than UVa.

Georgetown shouldn't be an option, it isn't even really a T-14.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:08 pm

I don't know much about GT's and UVA's LRAPs but NYU's LRAP is fantastic.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:35 pm

tipler4213 wrote:

+1

NYU for sure

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:53 pm

tipler4213 wrote:PI/Govt is NYUs bread n' butter.

This is true, and NYU's LRAP is also better, but--and I haven't seen NYU's geographical PI/Gov't placement numbers, so correct me if I'm wrong--I'm under the impression that U.Va. does much better in placing students in Gov't positions outside of NYC.

Either way, TCR is definitely not Georgetown. I would find out more about the geographical placement of U.Va./NYU grads in these jobs, then way your desire to do PI vs. your desire to do PI in DC. If NYU is the better option for both, then the decision is easy.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:56 pm

jimraynor wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Thoughts?

Yup.

I voted UVA after I read that you were in state. In state tuition plus way lower cost of living = win over NYU. Why did more people vote for GULC than UVA in the poll??? I would take either UVA or NYU if you heart is set on NYC, but never GULC - even if it is in DC (for PI purposes)

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:17 pm

jimraynor wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Thoughts?

Yup.

I'd go to UVA if I was in your shoes - in-state tuition = 5K reduction in tuition/year.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Georgetown shouldn't be an option, it isn't even really a T-14.

And you aren't really even a law student.

nbaguy

Postby nbaguy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:32 pm

tipler4213 wrote:

He wants to be in DC and he is in-state. The CoL + Tuition difference is a lot. However, with IBR and PSLF, depending on current financial situation, maybe the $$ difference is meaningless.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:What kind of PI/government are you interested in? I would recommend searching for attorney profiles at organizations that interest you because some organizations have particularly strong ties to certain law schools. This type of research proved to be very helpful in giving me an idea of what schools I should target. HTH!

Example(s)please?

showNprove wrote: I haven't seen NYU's geographical PI/Gov't placement numbers, so correct me if I'm wrong--I'm under the impression that U.Va. does much better in placing students in Gov't positions outside of NYC.

Show and prove?

paulinaporizkova wrote: Why did more people vote for GULC than UVA in the poll??? I would take either UVA or NYU if you heart is set on NYC, but never GULC - even if it is in DC (for PI purposes)

GULC has a great clinical program. And if you are looking at general PI, you certainly have access to a plethora of opportunities at GULC

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:58 am

Ialdabaoth wrote:What kind of PI/government are you interested in? I would recommend searching for attorney profiles at organizations that interest you because some organizations have particularly strong ties to certain law schools. This type of research proved to be very helpful in giving me an idea of what schools I should target. HTH!

tea_drinker wrote:Example(s)please?

I've compiled attorney profile data with law school and significant experience/honors (e.g. law review and clerkships) for the attorneys at several environmental PI organizations. Most of the results were unsurprising, i.e. the T14 was very well-represented across the board, but some other things were surprising. For instance, although NYU is great for PI in general, they have very few attorneys at the big PI enviro legal organizations (Earthjustice, Sierra Club Environmental Law Program, SELC, etc.). While some of this may be self-selection out of such employment, that wouldn't seem to account for all of the difference because NYU is big on both PI and environmental. There are certainly other schools that are ranked lower and comparably that place very well in comparison to NYU. For instance, Boalt and UVa both have 4-5+ attorneys at Earthjustice compared to NYU. (However, only 52/72 of Earthjustice's attorneys have profiles on their website.) Moreover, there are much lower ranked schools like Vermont and Golden Gate that have several attorneys at organizations like the Sierra Club due to externship programs at those schools that give people a great foot in the door. Last, UVa dominates placement at the Southern Environmental Law Center because of its location in Charlottesville. Again, this is partially self-selection, but I believe it is also due to access and networking opportunities available to UVa students while in law school.

TL;DL Some schools out place their ranking/generally do very well at specific organizations due to local connections and externship/placement programs.

I'll put up all of my data in a new post when I have it better organized.

jimraynor

Postby jimraynor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks for all the thoughts!

I'll see what I think of the schools once I've been to all the accepted students weekends as well...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:48 pm

UVa's LRAP (the fact that it uses IBR and can royally screw you if you lose employment during the 10 year period) seems pretty meh to me.

The difference between NYU versus UVa in cost is not large enough, in this case, for me to think that UVa is better due to the differences in LRAP.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”