Prestige of Penn vs. Duke vs. Cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Veyron

Re: Prestige of Penn vs. Duke vs. Cornell

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:I have neither unfortunately. I guess I could keep the gun in my car but Torts convinced me that that is a bad idea. Fucking police state.

The problem was you can mail order a FL permit :shock:

I haven't felt the need for carrying around Penn ever, so it's a non issue for you.

Reason not the need!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:56 pm

You can get a carry permit in NC and MI 8) Sorry Veyron

Edit: Oh yeah and VA too lol.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:00 pm

AreJay711 wrote:You can get a carry permit in NC and MI 8) Sorry Veyron

You don't even need one in AZ, ASU FTW!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:01 pm

You don't need a permit if you open carry in VA. Wouldn't be a good idea probably, but you technically don't need it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Veyron wrote:

BTW I can't find a firearm policy for Penn. My UG prohibits, but I can't find it for Penn. Maybe it's not prohibited?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:

You don't need a permit if you open carry in VA. Wouldn't be a good idea probably, but you technically don't need it.

Yeah, I know people that do. I wouldn't want to open carry anyway.

Edit:

--ImageRemoved--

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

BTW I can't find a firearm policy for Penn. My UG prohibits, but I can't find it for Penn. Maybe it's not prohibited?

MPC - that which is not forbidden is allowed.

G-d bless America.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:21 pm

WTH does "Right Infringed / Non-Issue" mean for Illinois? Is that from the NRA's website or something?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:26 pm

ahduth wrote:WTH does "Right Infringed / Non-Issue" mean for Illinois? Is that from the NRA's website or something?

Probably. G-d, I would to litigate for the NRA (no pun intended) if only they weren't in NOVA.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:38 pm

ahduth wrote:WTH does "Right Infringed / Non-Issue" mean for Illinois? Is that from the NRA's website or something?

McDonalds v Chicago was decided by scotus last June, it got reversed and remanded back to the 7th cir. I haven't been following up and I don't know if the gun permit laws has been changed.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:

McDonalds v Chicago was decided by scotus last June, it got reversed and remanded back to the 7th cir. I haven't been following up and I don't know if the gun permit laws has been changed.

Was that their Heller based lit?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Yes. It means they wont issue you a permit to carry a firearm. It seemed relevant but it was from 2009.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:49 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

It isn't necessarily based on Heller, because Heller was careful not to hint the incorporation of 2nd Amendment to states since DC is not a state. I think just "inspired" because the court seem to be turning the tide on 2nd amendment. I didn't read the opinion deeply (McDonald), but it was 5-4, so they were right about the change in the court's dynamic.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

It isn't necessarily based on Heller, because Heller was careful not to hint the incorporation of 2nd Amendment to states since DC is not a state. I think just "inspired" because the court seem to be turning the tide on 2nd amendment. I didn't read the opinion deeply (McDonald), but it was 5-4, so they were right about the change in the court's dynamic.

Interesting, I thought that Heller did indeed find that the 2nd am conferred a personal right, is this incorrect?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:59 pm

Veyron wrote:Interesting, I thought that Heller did indeed find that the 2nd am conferred a personal right, is this incorrect?

It did. But since DC is under federal jurisdiction, state rights are not infringed. The 2nd Amendment was not incorporated historically, and states are free to regular firearms in the past. I need to go read the opinion in McDonald, it would be amazing to ask for incorporation by the states. Scalia in Heller linked 2nd Amendment right to bear arms to self-defense in the opinion, but it stayed clear of state rights.
Last edited by r6_philly on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:59 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Interesting, I thought that Heller did indeed find that the 2nd am conferred a personal right, is this incorrect?

McDonald basically incorporated the 2nd Amendment right from Heller through due process.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:00 am

thickfreakness wrote:McDonald basically incorporated the 2nd Amendment right from Heller through due process.

It did? Nice. I am off to read it now.

ETA it's long, but nice!

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:05 am

r6_philly wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:McDonald basically incorporated the 2nd Amendment right from Heller through due process.

ETA it's long, but nice!

Pretty sure. They just defined the nature of the right by making reference to traditions of self-defense, etc. in order to prevent a wave of challenges to all gun regulations. The problem is that there aren't any factors listed in the opinion about how far regulation can properly extend, so that area of 2nd Amendment law is going to have to be figured out case-by-case in the future.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:08 am

thickfreakness wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

ETA it's long, but nice!

Pretty sure. They just defined the nature of the right by making reference to traditions of self-defense, etc. in order to prevent a wave of challenges to all gun regulations. The problem is that there aren't any factors listed in the opinion about how far regulation can properly extend, so that area of 2nd Amendment law is going to have to be figured out case-by-case in the future.

Ah, OK, this was the impression that I was under as well. Glad to see I wasn't too off the mark. I've been pontificating on Heller for year so it not being relevant anywhere but D.C. would be pretty embarrassing.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:10 am

thickfreakness wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

ETA it's long, but nice!

I just read the Alito opinion, it's funny they didn't clearly define any test other than saying the balance test was no good. So it's supposed to be incorporated but no guidance on how to. I suppose it's a compromise like many other recent decisions. They can still regulate it to be impossible to get a permit like states such as NJ/NY/MD. At least ownership within the home is affirmed.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:12 am

Veyron wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

ETA it's long, but nice!

Ah, OK, this was the impression that I was under as well. Glad to see I wasn't too off the mark. I've been pontificating on Heller for year so it not being relevant anywhere but D.C. would be pretty embarrassing.

Well Heller was much more relevant. McDonald was kind of a foregone conclusion once Heller came down. A recognized individual right in the BOR isn't going to stay unincorporated for long, especially when it's gun rights with a conservative majority on the court.

Also, to stay on topic, I don't think the difference in "prestige" between these three schools is important enough on its own to justify choosing one over another.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:15 am

thickfreakness wrote:Also, to stay on topic, I don't think the difference in "prestige" between these three schools is important enough on its own to justify choosing one over another.

My friends in the south had a much more positive reaction to me getting in Duke than I expected. Duke > UVa for them, which is a surprise (maybe it shouldn't be).

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:15 am

[/quote]Well Heller was much more relevant. McDonald was kind of a foregone conclusion once Heller came down.[/quote]

Ok, good. It was always my assertion that the defeat of similar bands was a forgone conclusion post-heller.

My friends in the south had a much more positive reaction to me getting in Duke than I expected. Duke > UVa for them, which is a surprise (maybe it shouldn't be).

UVA has like 0 lay prestige, even among educated people. Penn just has 0 lay prestige among people who don't know which schools are in the ivy league.
Last edited by Veyron on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:17 am

Veyron wrote:

Ok, good. It was always my assertion that the defeat of similar bands was a forgone conclusion post-heller.

Yes but without guidance and stated test, restrictions is as good as a ban. Try getting a permit in Jersey.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:17 am

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Yes but without guidance and stated test, restrictions is as good as a ban. Try getting a permit in Jersey.

When you say permit, do you mean for a handgun or for concealed carry?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”