Prestige of Penn vs. Duke vs. Cornell Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Re: Prestige of Penn vs. Duke vs. Cornell

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote: talking about the ladies. But I can see that I dont want to go to law school in a city, cause a man cant walk around late at night without getting his ass robbed
How can you checkout the ladies well if they are all wrapped up 8 months of the year?

And a man won't get his ass robbed.

Well played sir.

A very bright graduate student in the city I went to school was waiting at an el, and he was blindsided with a bottle...he lost eyesight in one eye and was never the same.

You may be right about Penn...in the graduate programs I am interested in Michigan dominates. The whole ranking thing is really quite silly....I doubt a student at say Columbia has better professors/receives a better education than a student at Gtown.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote: A very bright graduate student in the city I went to school was waiting at an el, and he was blindsided with a bottle...he lost eyesight in one eye and was never the same.
That is very sad! I agree it can happen in any urban environment. I guess it doesn't scare me too much since I have been living in that environment for so long and I don't turn my back on people. Be a bit street smart can cut down on some risks, although I would agree that you shouldn't have to.

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:11 pm

The shocking thing is that so many people care about lay prestige. Astonishingly dumb people will go to ivy league schools for undergrad, and the same hold true for law school. Only fools are impressed with what school you went to, after an initial job opportunity no one cares.

Stop getting excited about what school you are at, and do something impressive like win the pulitzer, the fields medal, a nobel prize in a science.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote: talking about the ladies. But I can see that I dont want to go to law school in a city, cause a man cant walk around late at night without getting his ass robbed
Well played sir.

A very bright graduate student in the city I went to school was waiting at an el, and he was blindsided with a bottle...he lost eyesight in one eye and was never the same.
I think that sort of thing can happen anywhere, though. The risk may be somewhat higher in a place like Philadelphia, but you can mitigate it by not acting like an idiot and keeping your eyes open to what is going on around you. Ultimately, you run the risk of suffering violence every time you leave the house wherever you live; I just don't think it makes sense to let fear of that cut you off from living in cities at all, though.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:16 pm

A very bright graduate student in the city I went to school was waiting at an el
Way to keep the city anonymous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
How can you checkout the ladies well if they are all wrapped up 8 months of the year?

Well played sir.

You may be right about Penn...in the graduate programs I am interested in Michigan dominates. The whole ranking thing is really quite silly....I doubt a student at say Columbia has better professors/receives a better education than a student at Gtown.
Dude, you can get robbed anywhere. One anecdotal story is pointless. I have 2 friends who have been robbed at gunpoint in ann arbor. Does that mean it is unsafe? No.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:I don't understand all of the lay prestige you Midwestern seem to ascribe to Cornell. I've never heard of it referred to as anything but the caboose of the ivy league or a quasi state school.
TBF when I was away from Philly, lay people know Cornell after HYP, over Columbia and Penn.
IDK, where I'm from people either know all three schools or none of them, depending on socio-economic status. In that case, they know the correct order in which to place them,

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:19 pm

dr123 wrote: Dude, you can get robbed anywhere. One anecdotal story is pointless. I have 2 friends who have been robbed at gunpoint in ann arbor. Does that mean it is unsafe? No.
Frequency is nowhere near the same. Weekly robberies and beatings.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
dr123 wrote: Dude, you can get robbed anywhere. One anecdotal story is pointless. I have 2 friends who have been robbed at gunpoint in ann arbor. Does that mean it is unsafe? No.
Certain neighborhoods in Scio, Pittsfield and the Southside of Ypsi in general have robberies, beatings, and shootings (mainly in southside of ypsi) on the regular

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
There are times (walking back from Biddle at 4AM with 40Lbs of books) that I wish I could carry in Philly. That being said, I would probably wish that I could carry if I lived in Utopia.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:22 pm

dr123 wrote:Dude, you can get robbed anywhere. One anecdotal story is pointless. I have 2 friends who have been robbed at gunpoint in ann arbor. Does that mean it is unsafe? No.
TCR. I've lived or spent significant time in a few large cities (Philadelphia, Kuala Lumpur, Mexico City) and never got a scratch on me. One day at home in a middle-class neighborhood in Kentucky, three guys randomly jack me and put me in the hospital. Moral: it can happen anywhere, just get over it.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:24 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
I want to see campus to campus comparisons. You are not going to go to class in North Philly so no need to cite the stats from outside of campus. Ann Arbor is near Detroit, Saginaw and Flint is it not?

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:25 pm

r6_philly wrote: I want to see campus to campus comparisons. You are not going to go to class in North Philly so no need to cite the stats from outside of campus. Ann Arbor is near Detroit, Saginaw and Flint is it not?
Biggest threat on Penn's campus is being trampled by a herd of Uggs-clad sorority girls.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:26 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
r6_philly wrote: I want to see campus to campus comparisons. You are not going to go to class in North Philly so no need to cite the stats from outside of campus. Ann Arbor is near Detroit, Saginaw and Flint is it not?
Biggest threat on Penn's campus is being trampled by a herd of Uggs-clad sorority girls.
Don't hate on Uggs. I had to spend my paychecks to buy them. Wait that's a reason to hate on them. lol

My biggest complain on campus is UGs don't watch where they are walking. And their chirpy birdie noise are too loud.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:27 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Biggest threat on Penn's campus is being trampled by a herd of ugly sorority girls.
FTFY

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:
I want to see campus to campus comparisons. You are not going to go to class in North Philly so no need to cite the stats from outside of campus. Ann Arbor is near Detroit, Saginaw and Flint is it not?
Detroit, yes. Saginaw and Flint, not really. Ann Arbor, like all cities, has good and bad neighborhoods, the thing is a lot of A2ers like to pretend to bad parts dont exist
Last edited by dr123 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:27 pm

You guys are probably right, but after having multiple friends robbed and myself nearly beaten to death I'm a little shy of cities.

For all you penn people it is my second choice, but I still would't go to Duke if they gave me a full ride :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:30 pm

Veyron wrote: There are times (walking back from Biddle at 4AM with 40Lbs of books) that I wish I could carry in Philly. That being said, I would probably wish that I could carry if I lived in Utopia.
I have a permit :D

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote: There are times (walking back from Biddle at 4AM with 40Lbs of books) that I wish I could carry in Philly. That being said, I would probably wish that I could carry if I lived in Utopia.
Wait, so you are aloud to have a handgun in philly?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Veyron wrote: Wait, so you are aloud to have a handgun in philly?
If you are a PA resident. PA is shall issue. Of if you have a FL permit. Check out the recent PA legislature debate.

I am not sure about Penn's campus policy, but it can be left in the car if you park on city streets.

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Only if it is a sonic boom gun

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:42 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote:You guys are probably right, but after having multiple friends robbed and myself nearly beaten to death I'm a little shy of cities.

For all you penn people it is my second choice, but I still would't go to Duke if they gave me a full ride :mrgreen:
Last edited by whitman on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Only if it is a sonic boom gun
So THIS is why I didn't get an A in torts.

If you are a PA resident. PA is shall issue. Of if you have a FL permit. Check out the recent PA legislature debate.

I am not sure about Penn's campus policy, but it can be left in the car if you park on city streets.

I have neither unfortunately. I guess I could keep the gun in my car but Torts convinced me that that is a bad idea. Fucking police state.
Last edited by Veyron on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:45 pm

whitman wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:You guys are probably right, but after having multiple friends robbed and myself nearly beaten to death I'm a little shy of cities.

You are retarded.
On the contrary....

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Veyron wrote: I have neither unfortunately. I guess I could keep the gun in my car but Torts convinced me that that is a bad idea. Fucking police state.
The problem was you can mail order a FL permit :shock:

I haven't felt the need for carrying around Penn ever, so it's a non issue for you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”