Which school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Which school?

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:47 pm

I got into GWU with a 106k scholarship. I have to maintain a 3.0 to keep the scholarship so I don't think that's unreasonable.

I have a 168/3.8+. I haven't heard back from any other schools yet but considering I'm not a URM or a legacy I'm guessing the top school that I have a reasonable chance of admission at is Cornell/Texas/Vandy.

I'm guessing I would have to pay sticker at Cornell/Texas. I hear Vandy can be generous so I might get some $ there.

So if it came down to it...which would be the better choice? Cornell/Texas/Vandy at sticker? GWU with scholarship? Maybe I can use GW to leverage some $?

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby de5igual » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:53 pm

with a 168/3.8+ you'll definitely get $$ at Texas and will likely get something at Vandy too

even if you plan on going to GW, definitely try and remove the grade stipulation...even if you do well overall, all it takes is one crushing exam to drag you near 3.0

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:09 am

f0bolous wrote:with a 168/3.8+ you'll definitely get $$ at Texas and will likely get something at Vandy too

even if you plan on going to GW, definitely try and remove the grade stipulation...even if you do well overall, all it takes is one crushing exam to drag you near 3.0


How would I go about negotiating that with GW?

Also if the situation was a bit of money at Texas/Vandy vs $$ at GW vs sticker at Cornell, what would be the best choice?

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby de5igual » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:54 am

FiveSermon wrote:
f0bolous wrote:with a 168/3.8+ you'll definitely get $$ at Texas and will likely get something at Vandy too

even if you plan on going to GW, definitely try and remove the grade stipulation...even if you do well overall, all it takes is one crushing exam to drag you near 3.0


How would I go about negotiating that with GW?

Also if the situation was a bit of money at Texas/Vandy vs $$ at GW vs sticker at Cornell, what would be the best choice?


ultimately depends on your goals/where you want to end up/where you already have ties

as far as negotiating that with GW...leverage the acceptance or $ from Vandy/UT/Cornell in your letter to GW asking them to reconsider the restrictions.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:13 am

FiveSermon wrote:
f0bolous wrote:with a 168/3.8+ you'll definitely get $$ at Texas and will likely get something at Vandy too

even if you plan on going to GW, definitely try and remove the grade stipulation...even if you do well overall, all it takes is one crushing exam to drag you near 3.0


How would I go about negotiating that with GW?

Also if the situation was a bit of money at Texas/Vandy vs $$ at GW vs sticker at Cornell, what would be the best choice?


Not Cornell at sticker

chicubs88
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby chicubs88 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:14 am

I had a 168 and 3.98. Texas made an offer of in-state tuition and $21,000 over the 3 years (so ~$70,000 overall). WL at Vandy.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:17 am

chicubs88 wrote:I had a 168 and 3.98. Texas made an offer of in-state tuition and $21,000 over the 3 years (so ~$70,000 overall). WL at Vandy.


Huh. I was 168/3.75 and got that same Texas offer and $72k from Vandy.

chicubs88
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby chicubs88 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:24 am

I was a little surprised by th WL. I don't no how much it matters, but i did not do the alumni interview.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:25 am

chicubs88 wrote:I was a little surprised by th WL. I don't no how much it matters, but i did not do the alumni interview.


Neither did I. Or write a "Why Vandy."

chicubs88
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby chicubs88 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:27 am

Maybe they found out about how i made fun of Jay Cutler when he got injured in the NFC champ game.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:29 am

chicubs88 wrote:Maybe they found out about how i made fun of Jay Cutler when he got injured in the NFC champ game.


Hahaha autoding for sure

User avatar
kwhiteside
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby kwhiteside » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:35 am

Same dilemma with GWU $106 vs. UVA/Michigan

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:52 am

So not Cornell at sticker?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:16 am

FiveSermon wrote:So not Cornell at sticker?

rad law wrote:Not Cornell at sticker

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Which school?

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:51 am

FiveSermon wrote:So not Cornell at sticker?



ehh it depends. If you're dead set on NYC, cornell at sticker isnt bad. They do dominate NYC. Vandy however is pretty solid for NYC as well, and they will likely give you money.

Where do you want to work after law school? And what type of job??

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:15 am

BeachandRun23 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:So not Cornell at sticker?



ehh it depends. If you're dead set on NYC, cornell at sticker isnt bad. They do dominate NYC. Vandy however is pretty solid for NYC as well, and they will likely give you money.

Where do you want to work after law school? And what type of job??


Biglaw since I want to pay off any debt and try to make money while I'm young.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby Pricer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:46 am

You'll get more money from Texas than Vandy.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:48 am

Pricer wrote:You'll get more money from Texas than Vandy.


Maybe.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:50 am

Pricer wrote:You'll get more money from Texas than Vandy.


If I get money at either! Below median lsat at Vandy and I'm out of state at Texas

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Which school?

Postby Pricer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:35 am

rad law wrote:
Pricer wrote:You'll get more money from Texas than Vandy.


Maybe.


I am using people on TLS and LSN with my numbers to estimate this. I have a 3.69/169. At Texas, people have been getting in state tuition equalizer and a few grand a year on top of that. People are getting WLed at Vandy. I fully expect at least in state tuition at UT and WL --> admit ($0) at Vandy.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lsa16 and 1 guest