UB Syracuse or Pittsburgh

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

which would you choose

UB
24%
Syracuse
19%
Pittsburgh
57%

Total votes: 42

northwood

Re: UB Syracuse or Pittsburgh

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:53 pm

all parts except NYC and Long Island

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Again, if we're talking NYC/Long Island are out I would say Cuse places better in the east and UB in the west. Again though, the placement for these schools isn't great or even "good" one way or the other.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:30 am

I honestly think that if its between cuse and UB, you have to go cuse. I hate them a lot kind of, but I think that the only place that UB places better is in Buffalo.

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:02 am

Northwood: Do you like the Pittsburgh area?

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:09 pm

yes i do. i just dont like the idea of paying out of state for it. Its only a half a days drive away in bad weatehr ( faster in good weather)

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:28 pm

Does your 'Cuse scholly have stips? Also, what do you wanna do?

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:31 pm

stips i have to keep a 2.8 ( median grade)
i dont know what i want to do- ive been thinking about educational disability law, prosecution, or anything. I change my mind about what i want to do a lot- as i dont know what ill like. I have a background in working with the disabled, and managing the day to day operations of a small business- if that helps.

im allready planning on visiting the schools in march- and see how it goes ( if i dont think it s a good fit, ill corss it out) The last time i was in downtown buffalo,a good friend died- so im not sure how ill like being close to that area.( hence why i dont like UB).

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:32 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I honestly think that if its between cuse and UB, you have to go cuse. I hate them a lot kind of, but I think that the only place that UB places better is in Buffalo.

Absolutely this

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:37 pm

northwood wrote:stips i have to keep a 2.8 ( median grade)

it may not sound like it, but that's pretty risky, i'd go with buffalo. don't count on going into disability law or some other niche.

jln82

Postby jln82 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Yea. That's what worries about me going into law in general anywhere in NYS. The NYS economy is dead and it usually takes 8 years to get out of a hole this big. I'm comfortable in WNY but I'm beginning to consider cities that are alive and/or growing...Otherwise, I may be fighting for a mediocre job as attorney in WNY or Syracuse or NYC...Business is my strength and there just isn't much business going on around here and it's really starting to worry me. Also, two of my freinds graduated from UB a few years back and after searching for a year for jobs in WNY ended up finding employment in Pittsburgh. But at least they saved money on school.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:44 pm

bumping this thread in light of new information:
Syracuse- wont get rid of scholarship stipulations- therefore there is a 50/50 chance i lose the 27k/year scholarship- which would force me to drop out

Pitt- attempted to negotiate using UB and Syrcause and other scholarship- told there is no more scholarship money

UB- went to ASD- really liked the campus and area ( its in Amherst, not downtown- where friend got killed). Can see myself there- but am still sifting through the sales pitch for hard facts. The students i talked to are doing pretty well in the job search, and their friends and peers are doing well. THey have been getting a lot more alumni support in this area- and like the location.

Personal insight: Really want to remain in Western NY. Think it would be a better idea to attend UB or Cuse. Pitt at Out of State sticker scares me. Losing Cuse scholarship scares me ( I know i will put too much pressure on myself to keep it, and there is always a chance that ill get the flu during finals week, or something).

any more thoughts in light of this new information? Ill update as I find out more financial info and such.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:19 pm

As long as you are aware that with a degree from UB you will be limited to that area for jobs and don't mind that I don't see a problem with going to UB. That said, I think a stip at median isn't terrible so if there is a huge difference in CoA between Cuse+scholly versus UB+scholly I may consider cuse.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 pm

A median stip isn't all that terrible (there are worse stips) and if you end up below median at either Syracuse or UB, you should probably think about dropping out scholarship or not. If Syracuse and UB cost the same, just pick the one you prefer.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Cost of Attendance at UB 39,000 a year
Cost of Attendance at SU ( with scholly) 38,000 a year
Cost of Attendance at SU without scholly- 63,000 a year
unknown- am being considerded for other types of aid at SU- so it could potentially be lowered ( how much and for how long is to be determiend. Got an email stating that I am being considerded for other scholarships)

Pitt: COA- 51,000 1L ( OOS
41,000 2l ( instate) or 51,000 out of state

am trying to see if i can become a state resident for 1L. Am meeting with financial aid and admissions next week

Return to “Choosing a Law School”