UB Syracuse or Pittsburgh

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

which would you choose

UB
24%
Syracuse
19%
Pittsburgh
57%

Total votes: 42

northwood

UB Syracuse or Pittsburgh

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:24 pm

So ive narrowed down my list of schools to the final 3. I am planning on visiting them all to help make a final decision, and have sent out fasfa, applied for outside scholarships and grants, and other financial aid. I will not know of the results of those applicaitons until march, so for now, lets assume that its going to be for nothing( the final financial aid package will help make the final determination)

NY state resident ( from a suburb of Syr)
In at UB instate tuition- sticker price is 39k/year ( prices include cost of living expenses)
In at SYracuse ( with a 27K scholly a year, granted that I maintain a 2.8 )- Sticker price is 63K scholly would be35 k
in at Pitt out of State ( but will be eligible for in state rates after 1L) sticker price 51k out of state. 41k instate- just learned of acceptance on 2/4. dont know if theres any scholly money yet.

I have lived in western ny for the majority of my life. IU have traveled around a bit, and always end up on the shores of lake ontario. I am comfortable living here, but with the way upstate is, it seems to be in my best interests to be prepared to levae. I have ties to the region, and would like to stay here for a while. However, I have visited Pittsburgh a few times, and really enjoyed the city. I would strongly consider spending the next 20 years living in the city, as its big enough, but not too big to overwhelm me. My family is spread across the North East, so both locations are within driving distance to my immediate family. I am debt averse, but realize that this is a business decision, and want to end up at the best school for the amount of debt incurred. I honestly dont know what type of law i want to get into, but have background in running a small business, and in educatino ( taught for a year and a half). I know that i will most likely change my mind about what type of law i want to specialize in, so thats not a real big concern for me. The more statistics about job placement I see, the more confused i become. I konw if i keep the scholly, SU will be the least expensive. I also know that there is a good chance i will lose it, as a 2.8 is at median. I also know that Pitt and UB will not have the extra stress added on to it. What school would you choose, and why.
thanks for the time and thought. I really appreciate it.
Last edited by northwood on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

OGR3

Re: UB Syracuse or Pittsburgh

Postby OGR3 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:35 pm

DId you attempt to negotiate scholarships from UB or Pitt?

Pitt is going to have the strongest job prospects but out of state at sticker is a hefty prospect. I don't know your LSAT, but anything decent with your 3.5 is going to garner some scholly interest.

I obviously chose Pitt. I didn't apply to Syracuse and even with less COA at Buffalo, Pitt was a much better choice IMO. Higher average pay, just as low a COL, and you don't have to live in Buffalo.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:39 pm

OGR3 wrote:DId you attempt to negotiate scholarships from UB or Pitt?

Pitt is going to have the strongest job prospects but out of state at sticker is a hefty prospect. I don't know your LSAT, but anything decent with your 3.5 is going to garner some scholly interest.

I obviously chose Pitt. I didn't apply to Syracuse and even with less COA at Buffalo, Pitt was a much better choice IMO. Higher average pay, just as low a COL, and you don't have to live in Buffalo.

UB wont budge, as im instate, and they want to be more appealing to out of staters.
I just got the acceptance phone call from pitt on thursday evening, so i dont know about scholly money.
I dont really want to go to UB- as i have horrible memories from that slum city( my best friend was murderded there over a poker game) The only reason i would consider ub, is because of the low cost of attendance.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:49 pm

northwood wrote:

UB wont budge, as im instate, and they want to be more appealing to out of staters.
I just got the acceptance phone call from pitt on thursday evening, so i dont know about scholly money.
I dont really want to go to UB- as i have horrible memories from that slum city( my best friend was murderded there over a poker game) The only reason i would consider ub, is because of the low cost of attendance.

I'm not too familiar with UB and Syracuse, but it seems to me like they have very similiar placement data and options. So, if you really don't want to be in/go to school in Buffalo I wouldn't do it. Between Syracuse and Pitt, like OGR3 said, I think Pitt has better job prospects in its region. If you don't mind sharing, what are your numbers? It's pretty easy to predict if and how much Pitt would give you in scholarship.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:50 pm

northwood wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

As I'm sure you realize, deciding on a school based solely on COA is a terrible idea. If you don't like the city and can't imagine living/working there, don't go to UB.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:54 pm

3.53, 158, manager of a small business for past 6 years ( worked there since i was 15- worked my way up the ladder), Master degree in special educaitno, with a paper that got published.

dont think im in the running for scholly at pitt.

thats why i crossed off UB. i realized its just not for me. so its between SU and PITT. COA is not the sole deciding point, but it is a factor.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:58 pm

northwood wrote:3.53, 158, manager of a small business for past 6 years ( worked there since i was 15- worked my way up the ladder), Master degree in special educaitno, with a paper that got published.

thats why i crossed off UB. i realized its just not for me. so its between SU and PITT. COA is not the sole deciding point, but it is a factor.

I think you can negotiate your Syracuse scholarship with Pitt and get them to give you 5k/yr. Just contact them, everyone is really nice there. With that aside, OP, do YOU have a preference for one or the other? Have you visited both? All things equal, I think Pitt has the edge for jobs but the price difference would make me choose Syracuse. Really though, I don't think either option would be that bad.
Last edited by pjo on Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:59 pm

northwood wrote:3.53, 158, manager of a small business for past 6 years ( worked there since i was 15- worked my way up the ladder), Master degree in special educaitno, with a paper that got published.

You'll probably have to negotiate it, but I have a good friend who got a scholarship with similar numbers. Take a look at the list for last year:

http://pitt.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0910

Pitt with any sort of scholly is definitely a better deal than your situation at Syracuse. Besides our basketball team is better...

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:02 pm

i dont have my heart set on either. I grew up a big cuse hoops fan ( and mcnabb fan), but boyhood college dreams do not make for a great way to choose a law school. I am planning on visiting both of these schools, and getting info on housing, lifestyle, etc. There are family friends who are attorneys that I have been talking to, and both schools are highly recommended by them. It would be easier i think to use my networking skills at SU, but Pitt is close enough where it would be feasable to be able to network from there.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:03 pm

thank you all for the fantatic help and insight!! i really appreciate it

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:05 pm

OGR3 wrote:

You'll probably have to negotiate it, but I have a good friend who got a scholarship with similar numbers. Take a look at the list for last year:

Pitt with any sort of scholly is definitely a better deal than your situation at Syracuse. Besides our basketball team is better...

dixon is a fantastic coach. I hope he stays there for a long time. You guys did put a good whoopin on su this year

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:05 pm

EDIT: Just read about your aversion to Buffalo. I think you should head to Pitt. That scholly stipulation at SU is stiff, and I do think you'd find more legal employment opportunities in Pittsburgh than in upstate.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:08 pm

northwood wrote:i dont have my heart set on either. I grew up a big cuse hoops fan ( and mcnabb fan), but boyhood college dreams do not make for a great way to choose a law school. I am planning on visiting both of these schools, and getting info on housing, lifestyle, etc. There are family friends who are attorneys that I have been talking to, and both schools are highly recommended by them. It would be easier i think to use my networking skills at SU, but Pitt is close enough where it would be feasable to be able to network from there.

It's easy as hell to network here. I'm originally from the other side of the country and every lawyer I've spoken with here is incredibly helpful and has provided tons of advice and/or additional contacts. It's a smaller legal community, so it seems like everyone looks out for each other.

I don't know if Pittsburgh's unique or if most of TLS blows the difficulty of networking out of proportion, but it's been my experience that as long as you're nice and show genuine interest in what attorneys are doing, they'll go out of their way to help you out.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Hey, I know I've given you my opinion on the subject in other threads, so Ill try not to beat that to death, but heres something I should have already mentioned.

I have heard that in PA it is possible to get residency without waiting a year. I believe that you have to show that you are not moving there for only academic reasons. In your case, you might mention that you had academic prospects else where that were actually better options financially, but that you have been trying to move to pitt for a long time because you have visited it and love the community and would greatly like to add to it. This is def a card I am going to try to pull. Its like a 10k scholly overnight. This is not guaranteed, but it is definitely something to consider.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Well...

Pitt- 133k total debt with w/o scholarship is a boatload, plus any other type of debt you have. I just don't think that pitt is worth that kind of money. This is about what Case Western would cost me with a scholarship and I will not be attending.

Syracuse - tuition is insane if you lose the scholarship, plus it is going to be competitive because they give out a good bit of aid and everyone is going to be paranoid about losing it.

I know you are adverse to Buffalo but it is the cheapest. If you can somehow get some money from Pitt than it may be okay.

cuseindahouse

Postby cuseindahouse » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:18 pm

OGR3 wrote:

When did you make the Final 4 again?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:40 pm

cuseindahouse wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry.

This year we are much better than Syracuse, but historically they have had the superior basketball team.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:13 pm

UB

unless you just really want to live in pittsburgh then pitt.

cuseindahouse

Postby cuseindahouse » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:36 am

OGR3 wrote:
cuseindahouse wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry.

This year we are much better than Syracuse, but historically they have had the superior basketball team.

Let's see who goes farther in the tournament...and I wouldn't say beating Cuse by 8 at home when we were without a top 20 NBA pick is much better.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:45 am

just so everyone knows. the big east teams cannot claim bragging rights until the conference tournament. All of the teams are very strong, and only the conference tourney will be the deciding factor.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:56 pm

just got the confirmation- no money from pitt... does that change anything??

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Its Pitt or retake to be honest. I go to Pitt so I obviously would say Pitt, but sticker is rough and unless you are planning on buying property do NOT bank on getting in state your 2L, I have plenty of 2L friends that did not get it. Property basically seals the deal, but you're going to need a little more than just going here for law school to show the board so they give you in state.

Pitt is a great place and I love it, its easy to network with attorneys and they generally help you out the best they can but the market is tough and the majority of my friends do not have 1L summer jobs as of now.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Since you are from Syracuse and presumably want to stay in the Syracuse area... and Syracuse is your cheapest option... I would go there. Just be prepared to drop out if you lose the scholarship. Otherwise, I'd say your second option should be Buffalo since you are in-state (I'm very pro-state school).

BTW, I did a cost-analysis with Pitt OOS last year and decided it wasn't worth it (although they offered a scholarship 8k/year it was nowhere near enough to make a dent vs. the schools I was in-state at). Based on 1L summer offers at my school and what BarbellDreams has reported about Pitt -- I feel like I definitely made the right decision.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:36 pm

of the 2 ny schools, which one has better prospects for New York State?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Which part of the state? Obviously UB will place better in Buffalo than 'Cuse. With that said both of those schools are dying to find ANY jobs in ANY market right now (assuming no top 10% of course).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”