Northwestern AJD vs. Texas with $93,000 scholarship

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SirWilliam1022

Northwestern AJD vs. Texas with $93,000 scholarship

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:40 am

Assuming Northwestern is sticker which it may not be. I have family in the Chicago area and would prefer to set roots there instead of Texas, but I am honestly pretty open. Austin sounds like a nice place to study and I like not having as much financial risk, but I feel like a Northwestern JD woud provide me more portability and potential. I also have quality political and legal connections in Washington, D.C., Arizona, and California. Thoughts?

melamine

Re: Northwestern AJD vs. Texas with $93,000 scholarship

Postby melamine » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:48 am

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Assuming Northwestern is sticker which it may not be. I have family in the Chicago area and would prefer to set roots there instead of Texas, but I am honestly pretty open. Austin sounds like a nice place to study and I like not having as much financial risk, but I feel like a Northwestern JD woud provide me more portability and potential. I also have quality political and legal connections in Washington, D.C., Arizona, and California. Thoughts?

yes. at least the rumor is texas is strong for hiring in texas and less effective elsewhere. that said, austin is extremely affordable in terms of living, whereas chicago is quite expensive. given that you have connections though, maybe it's not as big of a deal. maybe you should ask your connections what they think is a better choice? that might give you the most valuable information...

ALSO - this thread belongs in one of the other boards. (READ THE STICKIED POST AT THE TOP OF THE BOARD) can the moderator move this to the correct forum? (nothing personal, just trying to keep this board more disciplined).
Last edited by melamine on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:50 am

You seem to not want to spend the rest of your life in Texas, so NU.

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:53 am

Thanks for the heads up... so not trolling... asking this question because I don't really know. I would try to toss it under "choosing a law school", but it posted it under this part of the Board Index by itself (I think)

SirWilliam1022

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks!! :D

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Also remember the opportunity cost of the extra year at UT (if you go to NU, you'll probably be earning money during that third year).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:39 pm

How much is your time worth ?

P.S. Although you cannot make a wrong choice here, the right choice is Northwestern.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Do you want to do your degree in two years?

If you REALLY REALLY do, I think NU is a no brainer here. 2 years at northwestern is probably going to cost you alot less because you are there for less time. Plus, NU has significant advantages over UT, especially in the chicago area. (If you had said you wanted to work in texas, the advantages are much much more scarce).

However, if you are kind of iffy on the whole AJD thing, I'd go to UT. You cant beat a school of that caliber which a scholarship of that caliber.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:11 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:Do you want to do your degree in two years?

If you REALLY REALLY do, I think NU is a no brainer here. 2 years at northwestern is probably going to cost you alot less because you are there for less time. Plus, NU has significant advantages over UT, especially in the chicago area. (If you had said you wanted to work in texas, the advantages are much much more scarce).

However, if you are kind of iffy on the whole AJD thing, I'd go to UT. You cant beat a school of that caliber which a scholarship of that caliber.

The AJD get charged the same tuition as the 3-year JD. So you will only save on 1 year of COL.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:

The AJD get charged the same tuition as the 3-year JD. So you will only save on 1 year of COL.

Oh, I didnt know that. Still i'd say go NU, but if you dont want to rush things into 2 years then UT really isnt a bad option at all. Theres no bad choice here.

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:44 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Oh, I didnt know that. Still i'd say go NU, but if you dont want to rush things into 2 years then UT really isnt a bad option at all. Theres no bad choice here.

But you gain a year of income, assuming you get a job and you save on COL.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:51 pm

beidoun wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:

My question for the AJD was if the lack of an extra summer hurt employment prospects. But most if not all AJD candidates have good WE so it may work out well for most. When I was looking at this in Sept, they did not have any data yet, is there anything meaningful now?

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
beidoun wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:

My question for the AJD was if the lack of an extra summer hurt employment prospects. But most if not all AJD candidates have good WE so it may work out well for most. When I was looking at this in Sept, they did not have any data yet, is there anything meaningful now?

I'd also wonder about a burnout. Whats the courseload like for AJD? Sometimes in life, its good to not rush things.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:57 pm

I believe that all AJD students must have significant work experience to be eligible for this accelerated program. Also, burnout should not be an issue as that is less likely for one completing law school in two calendar years than it is for traditional 3 academic year law students. Plus you should have very interesting, mature, business savvy classmates.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:04 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I believe that all AJD students must have significant work experience to be eligible for this accelerated program. Also, burnout should not be an issue as that is less likely for one completing law school in two calendar years than it is for traditional 3 academic year law students. Plus you should have very interesting, mature, business savvy classmates.

This is how I understand it. They wanted me to go for the AJD over the regular JD because I am easily employable after graduation. I think they are careful about who they pick so they are set up to succeed. That said, I am still interested in seeing some employment data even though I decided against it.

Postby 2011 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:04 pm

AJD employment stats for the 1st class (entered 2009 - graduating 2011) are better than the overall law school. Granted their work experience was a bit better than the overall school, but they had the additional burden of having to explain the program to their sometime skeptical interviewers in the worst possible interviewing market in 35+ years. Now, that the program is established and the job market is somewhat better the employment prospects should be even better. Even many of the people who did not get firm offers during their first summer 2010 (their rate was similar to the school's 60-65% rate that awful season) got top tier full-time offers.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”