What is your opinion on Cardozo Law School?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thexfactor

Re: What is your opinion on Cardozo Law School?

Postby thexfactor » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:32 pm

why the fuck is everyone picking on rule 11? he is the truth like paul pierce.

Does anyone in this country read anymore? OP: Please read the NYT article on law schools. Op, you don't have to listen to anyone's opinions here. Just check the NLJ250 STATS. Check the 08 stats. Even then carbozo was only placing 15-20% of their grads in biglaw. In this economy, I doubt it is more than 10%.

Also check out JD underground. A lot of the users on that site are from brookyln and carbozo.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:42 pm

But...but...all his posts are negative!

Ergo don't listen to him? That's a complete logic fail by the Cardozo fans.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:46 pm

Last edited by Lawquacious on Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:47 pm

retake

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:02 am

Don't know why this thread is still going on. The first post completely answered the question. I know someone at Cardozo, and they've said it's easily the biggest mistake of their life.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:22 am

Cardozo people do have a lot of trouble getting legal jobs. I don't know the stats but I do know more salespeople and waitresses combined with Cardozo degrees than I do practicing lawyers with Cardozo degrees. That's why it is a insanely expensive route to becoming a waiter.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:38 pm

God this is boring.

No one says Cardozo is a great school. People just don't like pretentious douchebags. It's not hard to understand. If you don't want people to react poorly to your posts, don't be a pretentious douchebag. Plus it's just a good idea not to be a pretentious douchebag.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:37 pm

thexfactor wrote:why the fuck is everyone picking on rule 11? he is the truth like paul pierce.

Does anyone in this country read anymore? OP: Please read the NYT article on law schools. Op, you don't have to listen to anyone's opinions here. Just check the NLJ250 STATS. Check the 08 stats. Even then carbozo was only placing 15-20% of their grads in biglaw. In this economy, I doubt it is more than 10%.

Also check out JD underground. A lot of the users on that site are from brookyln and carbozo.

Thanks. I checked out the NLJ250 stats which I'm assuming is referring to big law firms (not to mention other decent frims that are hiring) and the first thing I noticed was that at the top of the list it said "The Go-To Schools". Now, if Cardozo is so terrible, why would it even be placed on that list? Not only was it placed on the list, but it was placed pretty decently at 30 out of 50, when Yale was placed at 18. Not that far off, so I'm not sure why there is so much negativity aimed at Cardozo.

Regarding my question of Brooklyn compared to Cardozo, Brooklyn wasnt even on that list so I guess it answers my question. I also wanted to mention that I happen to know 3 Brooklyn graduates, and all 3 work at big successful firms and that seems like too much of a coincidence in spite of the overall viewpoint here.

Regarding the economy, it is in an upward trend at the moment and I'm hoping that by the time the coming 1L's finish law schools it will be a lot better. It sure looks that way.

It is very possible that you guys are right, so thanks for giving me your honest opinions. I'm sure you only mean well.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:41 pm

lawfreak wrote:
thexfactor wrote:why the fuck is everyone picking on rule 11? he is the truth like paul pierce.

Thanks. I checked out the NLJ250 stats which I'm assuming is referring to big law firms (not to mention other decent frims that are hiring) and the first thing I noticed was that at the top of the list it said "The Go-To Schools". Now, if Cardozo is so terrible, why would it even be placed on that list? Not only was it placed on the list, but it was placed pretty decently at 30 when Yale was placed at 18. Not that far off, so I'm not sure why there is so much negativity aimed at Cardozo.

Regarding my question of Brooklyn compared to Cardozo, Brooklyn wasnt even on that list so I guess it answers my question. I also wanted to mention that I happen to know 3 Brooklyn graduates, and all 3 work at big successful firms and that seems like too much of a coincidence in spite of the overall viewpoint here.

It is very possible that you guys are right, so thanks for giving me your honest opinions. I know you only mean well.

1) the stats are old, and Dozo, which places in really only 1 (very saturated and desirable) market, was hard hit
2) these states ignore clerkships (which bumps up Yale a TON)
3) as to the bold, lol wut
4) 20% of grads is not good, considering how much Cardozo costs and how easy it is to break into the NYC biglaw market, comparatively (firms recruit at lots of schools, no ties to NYC required)

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:43 pm

lawfreak wrote:I checked out the NLJ250 stats which I'm assuming is referring to big law firms (not to mention other decent frims that are hiring) and the first thing I noticed was that at the top of the list it said "The Go-To Schools". Now, if Cardozo is so terrible, why would it even be placed on that list? Not only was it placed on the list, but it was placed pretty decently at 30 out of 50, when Yale was placed at 18. Not that far off, so I'm not sure why there is so much negativity aimed at Cardozo.

lol

Yeah, man, it's right up there with Yale.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:45 pm

rad law wrote:
lawfreak wrote:

Thanks. I checked out the NLJ250 stats which I'm assuming is referring to big law firms (not to mention other decent frims that are hiring) and the first thing I noticed was that at the top of the list it said "The Go-To Schools". Now, if Cardozo is so terrible, why would it even be placed on that list? Not only was it placed on the list, but it was placed pretty decently at 30 when Yale was placed at 18. Not that far off, so I'm not sure why there is so much negativity aimed at Cardozo.

It is very possible that you guys are right, so thanks for giving me your honest opinions. I know you only mean well.

1) the stats are old, and Dozo, which places in really only 1 (very saturated and desirable) market, was hard hit
2) these states ignore clerkships (which bumps up Yale a TON)
3) as to the bold, lol wut
4) 20% of grads is not good, considering how much Cardozo costs and how easy it is to break into the NYC biglaw market, comparatively (firms recruit at lots of schools, no ties to NYC required)

I thought I'd stick this in from the article over there:

"Remember, the list consists of the very top performing schools, where job prospects in years past have proven recession-proof. Not so in 2009."

In 2009 the economy was a lot worse then what it looks like it will be in coming years, like I stated above.
Last edited by lawfreak on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ect88

Postby ect88 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Laughing at OP's posts (or anyone else's for that matter) is unproductive and disrespectful. Let's discuss things maturely like the pre-law students we supposedly are.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:47 pm

lawfreak wrote:I thought I'd stick this in from the article over there:
"Remember, the list consists of the very top performing schools, where job prospects in years past have proven recession-proof. Not so in 2009." and the 2009 the economy was a lot worse then what it looks like it will be in coming years, like I stated above.

2009 = 2007 OCI = recruitment before the crash (2008), so we really don't know what it looks like now.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:47 pm

ect88 wrote:Let's discuss things maturely like the pre-law students we supposedly are.

lolololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Been here long?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:50 pm

ect88 wrote:Laughing at OP's posts (or anyone else's for that matter) is unproductive and disrespectful. Let's discuss things maturely like the pre-law students we supposedly are.

+1

Pre-law students need to learn some respect.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:53 pm

rad law wrote:
ect88 wrote:Let's discuss things maturely like the pre-law students we supposedly are.

Been here long?

Rad law...it seems like you've got some serious ego/maturity issues or something. May i ask where you're going to law school (or went)?

Oh, and you didn't bother backing up your #3 thing over there, which makes me think you have nothing to say to counter it.
Last edited by lawfreak on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:58 pm

lawfreak wrote:
rad law wrote:

Been here long?

Rad law...it seems like you've got some serious ego/maturity issues or something. May i ask where you go to law school (or went)?

UCLA/Vandy/Texas tier

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:11 pm

I also feel it is very relevent to copy/paste some info from THIS websites profile on Cardozo which paints a very different picture then I'm seeing from these posts:

"Cardozo is a good law school in a great location"

"Job prospects for Cardozo Law are decent for students above median (which by the way sounds a lot better then what some people here were saying)......
"But many firms based in New York that have been forced to cut back on recruiting are still stopping at Cardozo; this is not likely to change given its choice proximity to the offices of so many firms."

"Still, students looking to find work in New York City can do very well at Cardozo. Though it lacks a long history, it is slowly cementing its reputation as a strong feeder school for the New York City market."

I do plan on working in NY by the way.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Rad Law I hope you're not paying sticker for any of those "schools"

Lololololololololol

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:27 pm

OP - 'Dozo isn't a bad school, but its tied for 4th place in its own market, not including T14s and T25ish schools like GW/BC who beat Dozo in its own market.

I know it seems like people in this thread are sensationalizing things, but they're really not. There are people at BU (a much better school than Dozo) who don't have any prospects. Hell, there are people at T14s with nothing secured post-graduation.

COL in NY + tuition means you're going to need a lucrative job to pay off the debt. Chances of getting a lucrative job from Dozo while not impossible, are slim. Sure, anyone can cite anecdotes about someone or other who works at Skadden from Dozo, but thats the exception.

Also, doing well is no guarantee. Dozo isn't easy to get into, and you'll be competing with other bright people who know the employment situation is bleak. The curve will make doing well at that school really hard.

No one wants you to mire yourself in debt with no way of paying it off. Brush it off all you want, but 1500$ a month when you make 60k a year is absolutely brutal.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:47 pm

lawfreak wrote:Regarding the economy, it is in an upward trend at the moment and I'm hoping that by the time the coming 1L's finish law schools it will be a lot better. It sure looks that way.

The state of the economy when you graduate law school will likely not be what is determining your job prospects (especially for biglaw). How the economy is doing in fall of 2012 (if you are starting Fall 2011) during your 2L OCI (or mass mails, etc) will be what most likely what determines what job you can get.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:55 pm

Stringer6 wrote:Rad Law I hope you're not paying sticker for any of those "schools"

Lololololololololol

I'm not herp derp

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Blindmelon wrote:OP - 'Dozo isn't a bad school, but its tied for 4th place in its own market, not including T14s and T25ish schools like GW/BC who beat Dozo in its own market.

THIS

NYC is one of the only markets that doesn't require ties, and the market is highly desirable. NYC biglaw firms recruit all over the place. Don't forget this.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:59 pm

lawfreak wrote:Oh, and you didn't bother backing up your #3 thing over there, which makes me think you have nothing to say to counter it.

"go-to" is very fluid.

If you do, try to go for full tuition. COL is bad enough as it is.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:49 pm

Rule11 wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
Rule11 wrote:I'm flattered that BrownBears99 audited my posting history, but it was not helpful for you that he/she did so. Anyway, please don't ask a question if you're not willing to hear the answer.

It's pretty flattering you'd help improve my argument with your recent thread rant. Stick to CNBC, Dr. Doom.

Your contributions to this thread have been toxic. I don't want to make this personal, so I'll leave it at that.

The OP wanted opinions about Cardozo. I delivered. You waddled into the thread to squawk about how gosh darn negative I am. That might even be true; even so, yours was not a helpful contribution to the discussion--worse, it appears to have given the OP the psychological comfort necessary to avoid confronting the reality that Cardozo is, as I put it in a previous post, objectively bad, and likely to remain that way for some time.

What do you have to gain from helping someone ruin his or her life? Serious question, so I'll restate it: why did you encourage the OP to ignore my advice about Cardozo, advice you haven't even deigned to controvert? I suspect the answer to that question would tell us more than my history of "negativity" about trash law schools.

"Ruin his life" is a little extreme. Cardozo is not Touro.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”