What is your opinion on Cardozo Law School? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bk1

Diamond

Re: What is your opinion on Cardozo Law School?

Post by bk1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:32 pm

lawfreak wrote:"You don't have to look that far, there are Columbia, Northwestern, UT grads here on TLS that did not get ANY callbacks, that's right, they are currently unemployed."

I don't know how to quote specific parts of your text so i did it this way.

In regards to the other guy who said if you don't get a biglaw job after 2L, you're shut out forever - I can think of at least 1 person off the top of my head that started with a government job, and got biglaw later on in life. I know I used only 1 person, but I don;t know that many lawyers so it's a large percentage for me.
Even if somebody got biglaw later in life (btw, it is really really rare) that isn't very relevant to someone paying sticker for Cardozo. You have to start paying that 180k in loans off right away once you leave school and you are going to be suffering under that debt for a long time with a 50k or worse salary.

Yes there are even some kids out of top schools that are screwed, but the point is that it is 10 times worse at lower ranked schools.

cmraider

Bronze

Post by cmraider » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:33 pm

lawfreak wrote:I don't know how to quote specific parts of your text so i did it this way.
lawfreak wrote:First of all, who ever said there's anything wrong with buying lotto tickets? People doing that are probably not putting themselves in any risk of financial hell. It actually makes a lot of sense.

Aside from that, I'm not just talking about a few hundred people. I'm talking about crazy numbers of people making "stupid" decisions according to you. Oh, and by the way, didn't YOU and all you guys on this forum choose law school? If it's such a bad idea even for harvard students then why are you people in law school?
lawfreak wrote:Thanks guys for the encouragement on my GPA! Unfortunately, I just suck at taking standardized tests so there is really nothing I can do to change that LSAT score. I already applied to schools and I'm just gonna hope for the best. Maybe if I get really lucky Fordham will accept me to their night program :cry:
I'm starting to wonder whether OP is a flame or that uGPA is a fluke.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:38 pm

cmraider wrote:
lawfreak wrote:I don't know how to quote specific parts of your text so i did it this way.
lawfreak wrote:First of all, who ever said there's anything wrong with buying lotto tickets? People doing that are probably not putting themselves in any risk of financial hell. It actually makes a lot of sense.

Aside from that, I'm not just talking about a few hundred people. I'm talking about crazy numbers of people making "stupid" decisions according to you. Oh, and by the way, didn't YOU and all you guys on this forum choose law school? If it's such a bad idea even for harvard students then why are you people in law school?
lawfreak wrote:Thanks guys for the encouragement on my GPA! Unfortunately, I just suck at taking standardized tests so there is really nothing I can do to change that LSAT score. I already applied to schools and I'm just gonna hope for the best. Maybe if I get really lucky Fordham will accept me to their night program :cry:
I'm starting to wonder whether OP is a flame or that uGPA is a fluke.
I wouldn't blast my level of intelligence if I were you. In effect your putting yourself down cuz you have the same LSAT score as me and a worse GPA.

cmraider

Bronze

Post by cmraider » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:41 pm

lawfreak wrote:I wouldn't blast my level of intelligence if I were you. In effect your putting yourself down cuz you have the same LSAT score as me and a worse GPA.
But my quoting skills are far superior.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:43 pm

cmraider wrote:
lawfreak wrote:I wouldn't blast my level of intelligence if I were you. In effect your putting yourself down cuz you have the same LSAT score as me and a worse GPA.
But my quoting skills are far superior.
Lol, I'll give you that one. Instead of making fun of my quoting skills, why don't you do something useful and help me out. How do you quote specific portions of another guys post?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cmraider

Bronze

Post by cmraider » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:44 pm

There is a button that says, "quote" in the bottom right-hand corner of each post, click it.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:46 pm

cmraider wrote:There is a button that says, "quote" in the bottom right-hand corner of each post, click it.
Dude, you didn't get my question. When you click quote, it quotes all of that guys previous quotes. How do I quote a SPECIFIC portion of a guys post without quoting the whole thing?
Last edited by lawfreak on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmraider

Bronze

Post by cmraider » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:47 pm

lawfreak wrote:
cmraider wrote:There is a button that says, "quote" in the bottom right-hand corner of each post, click it.
Dude, you didn't get my question. When you click quote, it quotes all of that guys previous quotes. How do I quote a SPECIFIC portion of a guys post?
use your delete key (backspace works well too)

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:48 pm

You're starting to sound like a troll. It happens to be I did press delete, but when I do that it comes out messed up. It doesn't look like your gonna help me so I give up.

edit: Or more likely the case is that you don't know how to do it yourself! So much for calling me a flame :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 pm

lawfreak wrote:You're starting to sound like a troll. It happens to be I did press delete, but when I do that it comes out messed up. It doesn't look like your gonna help me so I give up.
Just delete the part you don't want to quote, leave everything else as is. Like this:

lawfreak wrote:I give up.

You can also use the codes for the forum to adjudicate things to posters when they actually didn't write them.
lawfreak wrote:I have a 180 and a 2.8

joshlyman

New

Post by joshlyman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:57 pm

i hate to be the lurker here but i'll give you my take.
I go to St. John's (cue the boos, hollers, and inflamed nostrils). I also got a 162 but had a horrendous GPA . I will not be able to make big law nor do I want to. I am on half tuition scholarship with a top half stip, and im making it. I will be debt free due to good luck, aka my family. I understand that my best career prospect might be a 60k private firm job doing real estate closings down the street in queens or long island. I am happy nonetheless, (note: it took me a LONG time to reach this state of [relative] happiness.)

My point here is that your decision is entirely situational. What is your potential debt situation? What are your career aspirations? be honest!
Understand the possibilities of where you go and how that will impact your career possibilities.
I think anyone blindly running into law school, with a non realistic concept of what their debt situation will be like, or what crushing debt will be like in general, and an unreasonable idea of what their career prospects are (if i came on here and went "lulz im tops third at saint jonz will I get skadden?") will always lose in this crazy law school game. Be real. If you are a big law or bust person jumping into a full price situation and youre not going to a T14 or higher you need to assess your situation in this light. If i had a 3.95 GPA, i would retake. I would not waste a 3.95 on Cardozo and I don't think anyone else here would either.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:00 pm

joshlyman wrote:i hate to be the lurker here but i'll give you my take.
I go to St. John's (cue the boos, hollers, and inflamed nostrils). I also got a 162 but had a horrendous GPA . I will not be able to make big law nor do I want to. I am on half tuition scholarship with a top half stip, and im making it. I will be debt free due to good luck, aka my family. I understand that my best career prospect might be a 60k private firm job doing real estate closings down the street in queens or long island. I am happy nonetheless, (note: it took me a LONG time to reach this state of [relative] happiness.)

My point here is that your decision is entirely situational. What is your potential debt situation? What are your career aspirations? be honest!
Understand the possibilities of where you go and how that will impact your career possibilities.
I think anyone blindly running into law school, with a non realistic concept of what their debt situation will be like, or what crushing debt will be like in general, and an unreasonable idea of what their career prospects are (if i came on here and went "lulz im tops third at saint jonz will I get skadden?") will always lose in this crazy law school game. Be real. If you are a big law or bust person jumping into a full price situation and youre not going to a T14 or higher you need to assess your situation in this light. If i had a 3.95 GPA, i would retake. I would not waste a 3.95 on Cardozo and I don't think anyone else here would either.
I agree with your general gist but I think giving catchall advice is generally credited. You are the rare minority in that most of your debt is covered (60k or so in scholarship and 100k+ from your family). If you didn't have your family covering the rest of that debt would you feel that you were in a good situation?

The thing is most people aren't in that sort of situation and barring some sort of large scholarship or family help or savings, these schools are going to be rough when you are paying it all in loans.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:01 pm

Just delete the part you don't want to quote, leave everything else as is. Like this:

I just deleted what I dont want. Lets see how it looks now

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:03 pm

retake

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:05 pm

Marionberry wrote:retake
Apparently you guys didn't see my response to the guy earlier who asked me if I studied my max and took it multiple times, to which I said I did.

joshlyman

New

Post by joshlyman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:08 pm

bk187 wrote:
joshlyman wrote:i hate to be the lurker here but i'll give you my take.

I agree with your general gist but I think giving catchall advice is generally credited. You are the rare minority in that most of your debt is covered (60k or so in scholarship and 100k+ from your family). If you didn't have your family covering the rest of that debt would you feel that you were in a good situation?

The thing is most people aren't in that sort of situation and barring some sort of large scholarship or family help or savings, these schools are going to be rough when you are paying it all in loans.
Right. My implied point is that if i didnt have the substantial backing I did (not literally out of pocket, but more specifically a confluence of an overflowing college savings my parents started from day one, and graduating early from a private college with insane tuition) I would not attend a T2 in an over-saturated market. But can you disagree with the fact that like my decision, OPs decision should be well thought out with all factors considered? The problem is that too many people consider it a black and white issue and dont take the time to make a mature decision.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:57 pm

lawfreak wrote:
Apparently you guys didn't see my response to the guy earlier who asked me if I studied my max and took it multiple times, to which I said I did.
I scoured the thread but didn't see it. If you haven't taken it the maximum number of times allowed, then take it again or you are throwing away money and possibly your future. If you're at the max, wait a couple of years until you can take it again and prep smarter. Or, don't go to law school or try and get good money at a TTT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:19 am

joshlyman wrote:
Right. My implied point is that if i didnt have the substantial backing I did (not literally out of pocket, but more specifically a confluence of an overflowing college savings my parents started from day one, and graduating early from a private college with insane tuition) I would not attend a T2 in an over-saturated market. But can you disagree with the fact that like my decision, OPs decision should be well thought out with all factors considered? The problem is that too many people consider it a black and white issue and dont take the time to make a mature decision.
It is a black and white picture, either you attend or you don't.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:44 am

lawfreak wrote:
Did you get a private tutor? Seriously, if I had your GPA, I'd do whatever it takes to get a decent score. You have ashot at schools like Berkeley, UVA and Northwestern even with a score in the low-mid 160's.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:40 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote: Anyone that uses "like" as a filler word when he/she types does not deserve to give advice
Anyone that does not end his/her sentences with a period when he/she types does not deserve to be able criticize anyone else's grammar. Douche.
Like, OMG, I just cannot like believe that.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:43 am

joshlyman wrote:Right. My implied point is that if i didnt have the substantial backing I did (not literally out of pocket, but more specifically a confluence of an overflowing college savings my parents started from day one, and graduating early from a private college with insane tuition) I would not attend a T2 in an over-saturated market. But can you disagree with the fact that like my decision, OPs decision should be well thought out with all factors considered? The problem is that too many people consider it a black and white issue and dont take the time to make a mature decision.
I actually have a more liberal point of view on this than a lot of people on this board. I completely advocate going to a super cheap T4 if you really want to be a lawyer. Though, those same people would often argue that even if you have savings it isn't good to go because those savings can be invested in much better ways than going to law school. Though I disagree with that as an absolute, it is a good point.

Since most people are financing law school through loans and scholarships (I'd imagine those with savings are a slim slim minority) it is often more of a black and white issue than people are willing to admit. Of course all factors should be considered, but for the most part this usually ends up black and white even if it doesn't in some cases.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:36 pm

last rant about retaking.

Op: you are literally 5-7 questions away on the lsat from getting a t14 school.

get the logic games bible. games is the easiest section to improve. I went from 10 wrong to 2-3 on gameday.

you can ask for schools to grant you an exemption to take the lsats a 4th time.

Dont waste that 3.95 gpa. I know you aren't good at standardized tests but seriously try 1 more time. Focus and study as hard as you can for the june lsat. What do you have to lose? what is 2 months of studying for a huge increase in chance of getting biglaw? think 10% carbozo vs 30-40% at uva.
At worse, a low 160s can get you into a school like fordham which will double your chances of getting biglaw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”