Please help me choose for NYC (poll)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I go to if I want NYC?

GWU (no scholarship)
11%
Rutgers - Newark (in-state tuition, $8k/year scholarship)
10%
Seton Hall ($35k/year scholarship)
10%
Ride out the Fordham WL, hoping and pleading for the best
24%
Ride out the U. Virginia WL, hoping and pleading for the best
32%
Forego law school
14%

Total votes: 72

TLSNYC

Re: Please help me choose for NYC (poll)

Postby TLSNYC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Retake is TCR. No matter what, though, DO NOT take the Seton Hall deal -- I had a friend who was offered the same deal and lost it because she was put in a stacked section! Seton Hall is a ripoff toilet.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:50 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Retake is TCR. No matter what, though, DO NOT take the Seton Hall deal -- I had a friend who was offered the same deal and lost it because she was put in a stacked section! Seton Hall is a ripoff toilet.

Yea, $10k/year in tuition is tempting (after $35k/year scholly), but I've heard similar cautionary stories about Seton Hall and stacking. Just seems like such a scam...

bakerka2

Postby bakerka2 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:03 pm

I almost went to Seton Hall last year, thank God I didn't. DO NOT GO THERE! I'm not sure what's more shitty, Newark or SHU.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:44 pm

With your lsat, youre luck to even have GWU. Its not a bad school. If you want to go to law school now, take that. Otherwise, fordham is not a bad option for NYC and you probably have a decent shot of getting off the WL with your GPA. Of course wait on UVA, but theyre usually over enrolled, so getting off the waitlist probably isnt going to happen (especially with your lsat).

If you want to go to school now, go to GWU or Fordham and do your best. If you want to wait or think you can do better on the LSAT retake. If not, do your best in law school and hopefully all will work out. Good luck

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:19 pm

people are hilarious. go to rutgers. with the work ethic you probably have to get a 3.99 and the brains to get a 162 on the lsat (Rutgers top 25%), youre probably going to get great grades at rutgers. great grades at rutgers gets you to nyc, and graduating from rutgers with 35k debt is WAY better than gw, your second best option. seton hall is never an option, god forbid you lose that scholarship and its catastrophe.

full disclosure: im at rutgers with the same scholly, i got a 3.5 last semester, and my life is great.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:29 am

inSouthAmerica wrote:people are hilarious. go to rutgers. with the work ethic you probably have to get a 3.99 and the brains to get a 162 on the lsat (Rutgers top 25%), youre probably going to get great grades at rutgers. great grades at rutgers gets you to nyc, and graduating from rutgers with 35k debt is WAY better than gw, your second best option. seton hall is never an option, god forbid you lose that scholarship and its catastrophe.

full disclosure: im at rutgers with the same scholly, i got a 3.5 last semester, and my life is great.

If I'd be graduating with only $35k in debt I'd be sending in my seat deposit now, BUT it'd be more like $100k. $23k/year (and rising) in tuition - $8k/year scholarship = $15k/year in tuition. Multiply that by 3 and add 3 years of COL and it comes to about $100k. That's a little harder to stomach.

I totally get what you're saying though. I'm still not decided, but you make good points. Congrats on the 3.5 and your happiness in school :-).

NJPharmD2011

Postby NJPharmD2011 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:25 am

JennBNYC wrote:Okay, here's what you need to know about me:
3.99/162
NJ resident
Dream is to work in NYC (kind of NYC or bust), but I'm not naive about how difficult that may be given my school options.
Really don't see myself retaking the LSAT (already took it twice..BOMBED the first time).

Here is where my cycle stands:
GWU (no scholarship)
Rutgers - Newark (in-state tuition, $8k/year scholly if I stay above 3.0)
Seton Hall ($35k/year scholly if I stay in top half)
Waitlisted at Fordham
Waitlisted at UVa
No decision yet from Berkeley
No decision yet from Boston U.
No decision yet from Temple U.

*Didn't include Berkeley or Boston in the poll because I'm not too hopeful about those. Didn't include Temple because that's probably not the best option for NYC.

what was your undergrad major? b/c a 3.99 in some majors is not the same as a 3.99 in others...

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:31 am

NJPharmD2011 wrote:what was your undergrad major? b/c a 3.99 in some majors is not the same as a 3.99 in others...

Business (Marketing)

I agree that a 3.99 in chemistry is different than a 3.99 in finger painting, but it'll boost their #'s for US News regardless...

(edit to correct a misspelling)

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:33 am

JennBNYC wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Retake. I know it's practically a joke around here but if you can pull high 160s with that gpa you'll be a lock for a lot of great schools for NYC next cycle. In the meantime, riding the UVA waitlist is really the only good option or someone set on NYC biglaw. Good luck!

I know retaking would could be highly beneficial; it kills me to think just 5 more points could make a WORLD of a difference...

And I was actually surprised to get the WL at UVa given I'm OOS with my numbers. That being said, people who ED'ed with my numbers got in. I didn't have the nerve/decisiveness to ED though. Maybe a LOCI is in order...

Edit: To add "Thanks for your input!"

Yeah I know its awful to think about retaking it. Think about it though, if you wait a cycle, completely dedicate yourself to bodying the LSAT and get a 170, you could be looking at NYU, Columbia and money at Fordham. I think you're doing yourself a disservice by settling for the 162, especially after what seems to be a lot of hard work at school.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:36 am

rocon7383 wrote:
JennBNYC wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Retake. I know it's practically a joke around here but if you can pull high 160s with that gpa you'll be a lock for a lot of great schools for NYC next cycle. In the meantime, riding the UVA waitlist is really the only good option or someone set on NYC biglaw. Good luck!

I know retaking would could be highly beneficial; it kills me to think just 5 more points could make a WORLD of a difference...

And I was actually surprised to get the WL at UVa given I'm OOS with my numbers. That being said, people who ED'ed with my numbers got in. I didn't have the nerve/decisiveness to ED though. Maybe a LOCI is in order...

Edit: To add "Thanks for your input!"

Yeah I know its awful to think about retaking it. Think about it though, if you wait a cycle, completely dedicate yourself to bodying the LSAT and get a 170, you could be looking at NYU, Columbia and money at Fordham. I think you're doing yourself a disservice by settling for the 162, especially after what seems to be a lot of hard work at school.

You're right. I think that's the way I'm leaning right now. Welcome back PS Bibles, sigh....

Return to “Choosing a Law School”