W&M v. ASU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Capitol A

W&M v. ASU

Postby Capitol A » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:24 pm

So...My current offer from WM is for the graduate fellowship-no scholly. Making my tuition about $21k/yr and I will get the $4k/yr taxable stipend as long as I mantain a B average.
I just got an offer from AZ State of $20k for the first year and $15k/yer for 2L and 3L. This makes my tuition $1600 for the first year and $6600 each year after that. All I have to do is "remain in good standing."
I was all but completely committed to attending WM, but this is making me second guess myself.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

CanadianWolf

Re: W&M v. ASU

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:26 pm

Where do you want to live & practice ?

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:31 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Where do you want to live & practice ?

Good question....I have lived in Phoenix my whole life, and my entire family is here...This makes me lean toward AZ. That being said, I'm ready for a change; at least for a little while, and I love VA, and the mid atlantic/southeast region.
Does the fact that you are asking this question imply that you think WM, even at this big price difference may be a relatively good investment depending on where I want to live?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Just means that I need more info. before offering an opinion. If you attend ASU will you incur any additional housing costs ? What are total expected costs over 3 years for each school ?

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:56 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Just means that I need more info. before offering an opinion. If you attend ASU will you incur any additional housing costs ? What are total expected costs over 3 years for each school ?

Because I currently live in phoenix in a house that I own and would rent out while in school, I actually think my housing cost will be a little higher if I go to WM.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:57 pm

What are the totals for 3 years at each school ?

mala2

Postby mala2 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:58 pm

If you think you'd move back to AZ I'd just go ASU, debt sucks. If you definitely want to leave AZ I'd go W&M.

I'm in AZ too, and really if you want to stay in Arizona I think ASU is fine. You will have a better alumni connection here.

mala2

Postby mala2 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:00 pm

also if you need to get out of town and that's it, go on a trip in the summer. You're talking 16k debt vs 80k debt. If you think you'd move back to AZ when you have kiddos just go to ASU (imo). Also, renting out your house could be fine or it could be a disaster. I rent out a house in another state and it's such a freakin headache.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:04 pm

mala2 wrote:also if you need to get out of town and that's it, go on a trip in the summer. You're talking 16k debt vs 80k debt. If you think you'd move back to AZ when you have kiddos just go to ASU (imo). Also, renting out your house could be fine or it could be a disaster. I rent out a house in another state and it's such a freakin headache.

Well, we will be renting the house to my wife's brother who I totally trust. And I'm in a position to attend WM with almost no debt, but I will have no money left in the bank in 3yrs either. If I go to ASU, that money stays where it is....If I was faced with the actual debt, this would be an easier decision.

mala2

Postby mala2 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Capitol A wrote:
mala2 wrote:also if you need to get out of town and that's it, go on a trip in the summer. You're talking 16k debt vs 80k debt. If you think you'd move back to AZ when you have kiddos just go to ASU (imo). Also, renting out your house could be fine or it could be a disaster. I rent out a house in another state and it's such a freakin headache.

Well, we will be renting the house to my wife's brother who I totally trust. And I'm in a position to attend WM with almost no debt, but I will have no money left in the bank in 3yrs either. If I go to ASU, that money stays where it is....If I was faced with the actual debt, this would be an easier decision.

hmm yeah. having a good renter takes that out of the equation. It's still money gone, but that makes it easier. I think it comes down to where do you and your wife want to build your life and live? If you think you would come back to AZ pick ASU. Maybe take a weekend trip out there together and think about it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Seems as if it's about $32,000 over 3 years for ASU versus $120,000 for 3 years at Wm. & Mary when adding up tuition, fees, books, housing & expenses.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:26 pm

mala2 wrote:
Capitol A wrote:

hmm yeah. having a good renter takes that out of the equation. It's still money gone, but that makes it easier. I think it comes down to where do you and your wife want to build your life and live? If you think you would come back to AZ pick ASU. Maybe take a weekend trip out there together and think about it.

We have visited Williamsburg recently and we love it, and like I said, we are ready for a little bit of a break from AZ.
I do think I will want to come back here eventually, but it doesn't have to be immediately upon graduation. I want to go to the school that allows me the most options.
In addition, the history of WM and of the area really appeals to me. While I admit that this is completely irrelevant to my education, it certainly effects the way I feel about the school and about the experience; and I believe this can effect my passion for school and benefit my performance. This may sound ridiculous, but its a factor that I am considering....

mala2

Postby mala2 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:52 am

I think it's important to like where you go. It will affect your attitude.

asuusa

Postby asuusa » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm in almost your same boat- got slightly less at both schools. I'm personally choosing W&M because I haven't lived in AZ since I was a kid and don't remember it. If you want to live at all in AZ, do not go to W&M. ASU's also top dog in AZ, so that's something to consider, whereas W&M is overshadowed by UVA.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:14 pm

I would choose ASU. Seems like you like Arizona and you have ties there, and that is insanely cheap.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:21 pm

asuusa wrote:I'm in almost your same boat- got slightly less at both schools. I'm personally choosing W&M because I haven't lived in AZ since I was a kid and don't remember it. If you want to live at all in AZ, do not go to W&M. ASU's also top dog in AZ, so that's something to consider, whereas W&M is overshadowed by UVA.

Thanks. It actually turns out that I misread my scholly from ASU (RC isn't important for LS, is it?), and I don't have quite as much $ from ASU as I thought. Also, the organization that I would LOVE to work for is based in AZ, but has offices/employees across the country. I've been looking at the profiles of their attorneys, and even at the AZ office, not one of them attended ASU. Obviously this doesn't mean that going to ASU would hurt me, but I don't think it gives me a significant advantage. So, all this considered, and the fact that my personal situation will allow me to attend William and Mary (which I prefer) without incurring much debt at all, if any. So that's the plan. Thanks everyone for your input.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”