GW ED Worth it? (next cycle)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ialdabaoth

GW ED Worth it? (next cycle)

Postby Ialdabaoth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:14 pm

Looking at my numbers (168, ~3.94, 4.0) and LSN, it seems I would have a good shot at GW's ~$105k scholarship next year. (I'm really not being trying to be presumptuous or arrogant, I swear.) Do you think it's worth applying ED to have a shot at the full tuition scholarship, which I believe would amount to ~$135k (one LSN post says $132k)? I'm thinking not, since the COA at GW is really high with its DC COL, and I feel I'll have a decent shot at Berk and NYU ED, my two first choices. Still, I would really appreciate some feedback on my thinking here. I'm interested in PI/government environmental (but am not totally against working at a firm first to gain experience since this is often more realistic), and GW does have good environmental offerings/opportunities. Yes, I know you shouldn't choose a school based solely on specialty strength, and I'm not doing that. Also, yes, I might retake but have discussed this elsewhere and would prefer to not get into that discussion at the moment, haha.

Thanks so much for any input you may have on what would be the overall best ED application strategy for me next cycle with these numbers!

jwrash

Re: GW ED Worth it? (next cycle)

Postby jwrash » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Pretty much a lock at UVA if you ED early next cycle.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:26 pm

jwrash wrote:Pretty much a lock at UVA if you ED early next cycle.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I've thought about that as well, and UVA is probably my next highest choice after NYU/Berkeley, but I'm just really hesitant to lock myself into somewhere I'm not crazy about and that would most almost certainly be at sticker. Thanks for the encouragement with UVA ED though--I was under the impression that my chances still wouldn't be particularly good there.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:28 pm

Also, is the O'Reilly 'tar in support or mocking of? haha Not trying to start a political argument here, just curious.

ETA: You just gave me an idea for one of my "favorite" talk show hosts.

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:47 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:Also, is the O'Reilly 'tar in support or mocking of? haha Not trying to start a political argument here, just curious.

Haha a little bit of both. I don't particularly agree with most of what he says, but I do like his show. Don't get me started on 'ole Pat Robertson though.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:49 pm

jwrash wrote:
Ialdabaoth wrote:Also, is the O'Reilly 'tar in support or mocking of? haha Not trying to start a political argument here, just curious.

Haha a little bit of both. I don't particularly agree with most of what he says, but I do like his show. Don't get me started on 'ole Pat Robertson though.

Okay, gotcha. Man, I love that guy. The 700 Club just makes my day.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Anybody else have thoughts on the OP? TIA!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:08 pm

If enviro is your number one thing then I wouldn't do GW.

If you are mainly focused on PI, I'd take a better school than GW that has a good LRAP.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:11 pm

bk1 wrote:If enviro is your number one thing then I wouldn't do GW.

If you are mainly focused on PI, I'd take a better school than GW that has a good LRAP.

Thanks!

So GW's lack of a LRAP comparable to those of most of the T14 is what makes you say no go on GW, or are you thinking of other factors also? (e.g. prestige whoring of top PI orgs)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:Thanks!

So GW's lack of a LRAP comparable to those of most of the T14 is what makes you say no go on GW, or are you thinking of other factors also? (e.g. prestige whoring of top PI enviro orgs)

GW's LRAP is irrelevant if you're on a full tuition scholarship.

From what has been said by TLS 2L's who have gone through OCI, the feeling I get is that PI orgs seem to care a lot about a history of commitment and prestige as well. If the school has a good LRAP then that LRAP will cover you if you go into PI. The thing is, this is of course a riskier strategy (if you strike out of PI, because of the debt) but it is a far better choice if PI is what you want to do.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
Ialdabaoth wrote:Thanks!

So GW's lack of a LRAP comparable to those of most of the T14 is what makes you say no go on GW, or are you thinking of other factors also? (e.g. prestige whoring of top PI enviro orgs)

GW's LRAP is irrelevant if you're on a full tuition scholarship.

From what has been said by TLS 2L's who have gone through OCI, the feeling I get is that PI orgs seem to care a lot about a history of commitment and prestige as well. If the school has a good LRAP then that LRAP will cover you if you go into PI. The thing is, this is of course a riskier strategy (if you strike out of PI, because of the debt) but it is a far better choice if PI is what you want to do.

Well, I'm thinking if I only got the partial tuition scholarship + the very high COL for GW/DC. You can use total COA for LRAPs, right?

And I should have the PI environmental commitment covered (especially by the time I graduate from law school). So, basically what you're saying is that EDing at a T14, attending at sticker and relying on its LRAP is probably still a better strategy than an ED and/or partial scholarship to GW if I'm most interested in PI?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:Well, I'm thinking if I only got the partial tuition scholarship + the very high COL for GW/DC. You can use total COA for LRAPs, right?

And I should have the PI environmental commitment covered (especially by the time I graduate from law school). So, basically what you're saying is that EDing at a T14, attending at sticker and relying on its LRAP is probably still a better strategy than an ED and/or partial scholarship to GW if I'm most interested in PI?

Yes and yes.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Okay. Thanks for your input!

Of course, I still can't make up my mind about doing any ED since Berkeley is my tied-for-number one choice, haha.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”