The Texas T4 Face Off

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JakeL

Re: The Texas T4 Face Off

Postby JakeL » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:48 pm

afrogod3@yahoo.com wrote:Yes it is my only score, and no I do not intend on retaking. Nor do I plan to pay some one a grand or two to help me study. I simply do not have the time as a full time student, part time worker, and father of three. I also have doubts as to the effectiveness of these review courses.

Even if I did ace the LSAT, a 3.05 GPA will still hold me back, and there is not much I can do about that. I have resigned to accept the 155 and the limitations to my choice of school as a result.

Dude, hold on.... I have a 3.05, took a practice test cold, got a 153, took a course, and hit 166 last june. Only a couple months of studying. You seriously need to look at my situation. I now have near full ride offers to Alabama and Indiana-Bloomington, with lesser scholarships all over the place. You being a veteran, plus even a few more points on the LSAT will open an incredible amount of doors. Spend $1k now to save $100K in the long run. The return on investment is huge in this case.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:35 pm

afrogod3@yahoo.com wrote:Even if I did ace the LSAT, a 3.05 GPA will still hold me back, and there is not much I can do about that. I have resigned to accept the 155 and the limitations to my choice of school as a result.

Not near as much you seem to think it will.

I had a 3.23, and got money and offers at good schools.

ladyj

Postby ladyj » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I think that you mean Texas Southern's Marshall School of Law. Of almost 200 ABA accredited law schools in the US, Texas Southern's Thurgood Marshall has the lowest or second lowest standards of admission. Comparatively speaking between the two law schools, St. Mary's bar passage rate is significantly higher than Texas Southern's. A reasonable argument could be made that Texas Southern's Thurgood Marshall School of Law may be the worst in the nation among ABA accredited law schools. St. Marys bar passage rate is above average for Texas at over 87% compared to Texas Southern's 59%.

Thurgood Marshall is by far not the worst school. There are wonderful professors that teach well. Some students are more prepared in certain subjects that others from other schools are clueless about when it comes time to study during bar prep.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:23 am

Attn: no one cares about bar passage, only employment counts and all of these schools fail

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:34 am

ladyj wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:I think that you mean Texas Southern's Marshall School of Law. Of almost 200 ABA accredited law schools in the US, Texas Southern's Thurgood Marshall has the lowest or second lowest standards of admission. Comparatively speaking between the two law schools, St. Mary's bar passage rate is significantly higher than Texas Southern's. A reasonable argument could be made that Texas Southern's Thurgood Marshall School of Law may be the worst in the nation among ABA accredited law schools. St. Marys bar passage rate is above average for Texas at over 87% compared to Texas Southern's 59%.

Thurgood Marshall is by far not the worst school. There are wonderful professors that teach well. Some students are more prepared in certain subjects that others from other schools are clueless about when it comes time to study during bar prep.

i think they might have meant when it comes to post-grad employment

advice in this thread seems solid (cursory glance); while you cant change the 3.05, you can change the LSAT though OP. it isnt as if the 3.05 makes gains on your LSAT pointless -- higher LSAT = better chances = better schools. as someone else said, if you can muster the time, $1k now saves $100k in the long run ;)

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:51 pm

i hope you opted to retake. smu pt could be a possibility with a few more points.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”