GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yasafener1907
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:19 pm

GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby yasafener1907 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:21 am

I'm in at both GW and Minnesota, but Minn is giving me 20k a year. I'm not really interested in practicing in the northern Midwest, but based on my calculations, 3 years at Minn will cost me about 120,000 after scholly compared to about 225k at GW paying sticker- a big difference. Thoughts?

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:10 am

Minn if you want the Midwest.

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby Lonagan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:25 am

I'm not sure where you get 120K from. I anticipate around 90K with my financial aid, which is comparable to your offer.

I like the U. If you just don't want to be in the upper midwest you should hesitate before coming here, but it is a wonderful school with wonderful students. This place is not cut-throat at all.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:38 pm

yasafener1907 wrote:I'm in at both GW and Minnesota, but Minn is giving me 20k a year. I'm not really interested in practicing in the northern Midwest, but based on my calculations, 3 years at Minn will cost me about 120,000 after scholly compared to about 225k at GW paying sticker- a big difference. Thoughts?


I'm wondering the same thing, as someone who may be in your shoes. I haven't gotten the call from Minnesota yet, but having gotten into GW I hope I have a decent shot here as well. OOS sticker at Minnesota is still at least $10k less than GW sticker to begin with. I think if you are absolutely set on working in DC, GW is probably the better option. If you have no interest in the upper Midwest (or the Midwest in general), I think that's another point for GW.

I personally had little interest in GW and applied there at a friend's cajoling. Since it's the first and thus far only place I've heard from, I've been researching it. I'm not set on working in DC, but it seems like a great opportunity. However, I also like the Midwest, especially Minneapolis, unlike you.

If you just want a JD from a T25, and to be able to get a good job (not necessarily biglaw or fed government), go with the lower price. I'm inclined to say that GW is not worth sticker ITE, but Minnesota's not going to help you get a job in DC

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:41 pm

NOT the financial suicide that is GW at sticker.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Neither.

GW at sticker is an awful risk and Minn will place you in Minnesota or the midwest, places you don't want to be.

The best thing to do would be go somewhere better than these schools (which is less of a risk) or go somewhere for cheap that places where you want to place. To achieve either of those things you may have to retake/reapply.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:48 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
yasafener1907 wrote:I'm in at both GW and Minnesota, but Minn is giving me 20k a year. I'm not really interested in practicing in the northern Midwest, but based on my calculations, 3 years at Minn will cost me about 120,000 after scholly compared to about 225k at GW paying sticker- a big difference. Thoughts?


I'm wondering the same thing, as someone who may be in your shoes. I haven't gotten the call from Minnesota yet, but having gotten into GW I hope I have a decent shot here as well. OOS sticker at Minnesota is still at least $10k less than GW sticker to begin with. I think if you are absolutely set on working in DC, GW is probably the better option. If you have no interest in the upper Midwest (or the Midwest in general), I think that's another point for GW.

I personally had little interest in GW and applied there at a friend's cajoling. Since it's the first and thus far only place I've heard from, I've been researching it. I'm not set on working in DC, but it seems like a great opportunity. However, I also like the Midwest, especially Minneapolis, unlike you.

If you just want a JD from a T25, and to be able to get a good job (not necessarily biglaw or fed government), go with the lower price. I'm inclined to say that GW is not worth sticker ITE, but Minnesota's not going to help you get a job in DC


That said, Minnesota is supposed to send a lot of grads to federal clerkships. They are fairly competitive to get (i.e. no guarantees you'll do well enough anywhere) but that might help you break into the DC market. But you might want to research that. I think UMN does send a fair amount to the NLJ250. I don't know how easy or difficult it is to move laterally across markets in biglaw without a name-brand degree, though.

Also look at it this way. Both are fairly regional. But if you do poorly (below median) at GW at full price, you're done. Even if you find work, you won't get a job conducive to paying off $225k in loans and living comfortably. Sure, there's loan forgiveness for public interest, but PI in DC is insanely competitive, and you'd have to begin pursuing that as a 2L I'd imagine, and even then you'd have to well, so that would NOT be a safe backup. Full or even half at GW I'd say eff it, go for it.

At Minnesota, having some money might take the edge off of law school. You'd still have loans, but not crippling loans. If you don't do well enough for biglaw, you still have good options in a handful of midsize markets. But I don't know that's just me.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:52 pm

yasafener1907 wrote:I'm in at both GW and Minnesota, but Minn is giving me 20k a year. I'm not really interested in practicing in the northern Midwest, but based on my calculations, 3 years at Minn will cost me about 120,000 after scholly compared to about 225k at GW paying sticker- a big difference. Thoughts?


But my responses are not really fair. If you don't like a region, no point in going to a regional school. And no point paying out the ass for a nonprestigious school. GW is good, but not $200k good. Visit Minneapolis if you've never been. If you still don't like it reapply.

Also, what were your stats at UMN to get $$? That's one of my hopefuls.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:58 pm

Are these your only options ? Actually, GWU at $225,000 is not much of an option, so I'll rephrase my question to "Is Minnesota your only option ?".

yasafener1907
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby yasafener1907 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks for your help!

My stats are 169/3.35 (economics major at top 20 school)

Ive been accepted at OSU, WL at Vandy and denied at UVA. I'm still waiting on BU, BC, W&M, GULC, and a few others.

I'm not saying I hate the midwest or could never see myself there, but I'm not sure if I want to limit myself to the midwest quite yet... Does anyone have any information about the job prospects of attending Minn and then trying to work east coast? My buddy read that 99% of Minn grads take the Minn bar, which is kinda a scary figure.

As for re-taking and re-applying, I already took a year off after undergrad and am very ready to start school and get on with life. I don't think I could do another year at a job where I'm not learning much (and getting a better job in this market for only one year seems very tough).

I know this is a whole new topic, but it's a major factor in my decision: Long distance relationships (gf will be working in charlottesville, VA) in law school? Yes/Hell no?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:21 pm

yasafener1907 wrote:As for re-taking and re-applying, I already took a year off after undergrad and am very ready to start school and get on with life. I don't think I could do another year at a job where I'm not learning much (and getting a better job in this market for only one year seems very tough).

I know this is a whole new topic, but it's a major factor in my decision: Long distance relationships (gf will be working in charlottesville, VA) in law school? Yes/Hell no?


You should definitely retake/reapply. Don't be stubborn and let a single year hamper you with either poor prospects for where you want to go (Minn) or debt you cannot service (GW).

Retake, get a single point higher on the LSAT, reapply and probably ED to UVa if you want to stick close to your gf.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Can you send a LOCI to Vandy for the waitlist. That's probably the only non T14 I would consider paying sticker for.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Minnesota is so weird with scholarships. Maybe it's not unique, but I've seen people with lower stats get more money, and vice versa.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Maybe Minnesota adcomms actually read the applications ?

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:59 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Maybe Minnesota adcomms actually read the applications ?


That would be nice. In that case, I should get full OOS tuition, since I'm a beautiful and unique snowflake.

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby Informative » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Don't go to MN unless you absolutely want to practice in Minnesota. Likelihood of escaping the upper midwest is slim.

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby Lonagan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Informative wrote:Don't go to MN unless you absolutely want to practice in Minnesota. Likelihood of escaping the upper midwest is slim.


Things are not that grim. You can get out if you perform really well. However, given that nobody really knows how they will do going in, one should not go to Minnesota unless they would be willing to stay here.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby soullesswonder » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:41 pm

bk1 wrote:
yasafener1907 wrote:As for re-taking and re-applying, I already took a year off after undergrad and am very ready to start school and get on with life. I don't think I could do another year at a job where I'm not learning much (and getting a better job in this market for only one year seems very tough).

I know this is a whole new topic, but it's a major factor in my decision: Long distance relationships (gf will be working in charlottesville, VA) in law school? Yes/Hell no?


You should definitely retake/reapply. Don't be stubborn and let a single year hamper you with either poor prospects for where you want to go (Minn) or debt you cannot service (GW).

Retake, get a single point higher on the LSAT, reapply and probably ED to UVa if you want to stick close to your gf.


Seconded. I'm a little surprised OP didn't throw out an app to to W&L, just to see what kind of money they offered.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:51 pm

A lot of the options you are waiting on are better than either of these. I would take Vandy at sticker easily if you can get off the wait list. Send a LOCI every week haha.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby PomasThynchon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:12 pm

Informative wrote:Don't go to MN unless you absolutely want to practice in Minnesota. Likelihood of escaping the upper midwest is slim.


Yeah, such is the danger of going to law school solely based on USNWR rankings. Minnesota is a top school, sure, but not a top choice for someone who doesn't like the midwest. I'm looking at 75% from GW, but as someone who is not interested in the east coast, it's not all that tantalizing. Yes, I know BigLaw is a New York-centric field, but I don't care. I would jump on full scholly from UMN in a heartbeat. I love the hell out of Minneapolis and would live there over DC any day. Still waiting on cali schools but I would be happier at UMN.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby PomasThynchon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:36 pm

As for 99% taking the MN bar, frankly that's not surprising. Unlike so-called public ivies like UT, Cal, Mich, and UVa, I doubt most people are clamoring to get into UMN law. The contingent of OOSers who apply is probably due to it's consistent ranking as a top 20 law school. But given the lack of name recognition and location, I would imagine it's largely self-selection--unless you like the twin cities for whatever reason or don't give a hoot where you practice law, as long as you get a JD from somewhere good, I guess you go there. Granted it's scary in that there's probably much less of a national alumni network, but that seems like a buzzword tossed around by schools that lack a name brand. If you do well I'm sure you have a shot at Chicago. The one good thing is that MN does give you a built in backup market (everyone wants to go to DC, from everywhere, but you can external during the year as a GW student). I doubt most T14ers without ties to Minnesota are chomping at the but for jobs in Minneapolis, but from what I her the market there is saturated. Nt as bad as DC though.

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby Informative » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Very few coastal/Chicago firms hire from UMN. Every year there are admitted students who post and say their plan is to go to Chicago big law from UMN, and it almost never happens. Most of them end up staying in MSP or end up taking a non-biglaw job somewhere else. There is a reason UMN has an astonishingly bad biglaw placement rate.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:23 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:chomping at the but


"champing at the bit," duder

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby PomasThynchon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:23 pm

Yeah I misspoke. I'm sure Chicago is just as competitive as New York. Then again, I'm not hell bent on either, especially the overpriced shitopolis that is NYC.

Since DC is such a popular destination for lawyers though, I'd imagine just about every school has a contingent there, not that that necessarily helps.

I know it's chomping at the bit, it's the damn autocorrect on my phone. But again, I would be astounded if there were many T14ers chomping at the bit for MSP, so maybe I'll take my chances in DC.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: GW sticker vs. MINN ($$)

Postby soullesswonder » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:27 pm

rad law wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:chomping at the but


"champing at the bit," duder


Hey, ITE you gotta do what you gotta do




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests