Bigger difference btwn t14 and t20 or t20 & rest tier-one? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jarofsoup

Gold

Re: Bigger difference btwn t14 and t20 or t20 & rest tier-one?

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:45 pm

bk187 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:So Harvard graduates only work in Mass? Yale grad's only work in Conn, Standford grades only work in California?

That is not really reflected in reality.
Are you fucking dumb?
No are you cocky? I am entitled to an opinion aint I?
Last edited by jarofsoup on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:46 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
bk187 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:So Harvard graduates only work in Mass? Yale grad's only work in Conn, Standford grades only work in California?

That is not really reflected in reality.
Are you fucking dumb?
No are you cocky?
Yes.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:53 pm

I am really looking into attending UNC (I'm in-state). I believe it's ranked 28th. Are they really a T30 school as their ranking suggests? Prestige and employer wise, are they a pretty legit school for someone looking to get a job in the NC to DC area? Is the UNC name portrayed significantly different than say, Vandy, or GW, as the rankings suggest?
Last edited by DeeCee on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:53 pm

jarofsoup wrote: No are you cocky? I am entitled to an opinion aint I?
And we are entitled to call you out for having a really, really stupid opinion.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:59 pm

rad law wrote:
jarofsoup wrote: No are you cocky? I am entitled to an opinion aint I?
And we are entitled to call you out for having a really, really stupid opinion.
That being said, the question he had to reply to isn't the easiest one to answer lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:02 pm

DeeCee wrote:I am really looking into attending UNC (I'm in-state). I believe it's ranked 28th. Are they really a T30 school as their ranking suggests, or prestige and employer wise, are they a pretty legit school for someone looking to get a job in the NC to DC area? Is the UNC name portrayed significantly different than say, Vandy, or GW, as the rankings would suggest?
Holy Jeezus, what the fuck, T30 is not a tier. UNC is a T30 school because it is ranked 28th. That's all that means. DO NOT count on getting a DC job from UNC. They are a "pretty legit" school for someone who want to work in NC. That's about it.

Statistics bear out that GW and Vandy have historically done better for biglaw. Vandy much better, GW quite so. Use your head for a second.

This poast reeks of failure.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:02 pm

DeeCee,
UNC is a great law school, especially if you can get it at an in-state discounted rate. It does well in NC, but it does not do well outside of the state.

You can see how well it does in employment placement with large law firms:
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2443758843

The low ranking is largely based on the fact that its largest market is Charlotte, which while growing due to BofA, does not have a significant legal market with major players headquartered in town (other than banking).

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:03 pm

Rad Law,
Chill out buddy. She was just asking a question. Give her the NLJ study and move on. No need to be so hostile.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:04 pm

rad law wrote:
DeeCee wrote:I am really looking into attending UNC (I'm in-state). I believe it's ranked 28th. Are they really a T30 school as their ranking suggests, or prestige and employer wise, are they a pretty legit school for someone looking to get a job in the NC to DC area? Is the UNC name portrayed significantly different than say, Vandy, or GW, as the rankings would suggest?
Holy Jeezus, what the fuck, T30 is not a tier. UNC is a T30 school because it is ranked 28th. That's all that means. DO NOT count on getting a DC job from UNC. They are a "pretty legit" school for someone who want to work in NC. That's about it.

Statistics bear out that GW and Vandy have historically done better for biglaw. Vandy much better, GW quite so. Use your head for a second.

Be careful Rad Law is very informed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:04 pm

rad law wrote:

Whoa WTF. I think that's a little rude. I meant top 30, and I don't want big law. I'm just asking an honest question, you don't have to get all offended because I'm making a comparison to your school.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:05 pm

Informative wrote:Rad Law,
Chill out buddy. She was just asking a question. Give her the NLJ study and move on. No need to be so hostile.
How can one spend a bunch of time on TLS researching prospective schools and not have seen it?

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:12 pm

bk187 wrote:
Informative wrote:Rad Law,
How can one spend a bunch of time on TLS researching prospective schools and not have seen it?
Again, just asking a question, I don't need to be preached at, as I'm just feeling out where UNC stands. Not all of us care about biglaw, either (shocker!). I would be happy getting a job working in NC, up to DC. I am evaluating my options--that is all.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:18 pm

rad law wrote:

I don't see why you're so angry. If you don't want to waste your time responding to a "poast [that] reeks of failure" just don't respond. This is a lot like the homeless guy near the train station who screams at passersby for being in a hurry. Stop going out of your way to be an asshole. Someone else will answer the question and tell DeeCee that UNC has very little placement power in DC, or anywhere outside of the state. Chill, Dude.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:21 pm

DeeCee wrote:
rad law wrote:

Whoa WTF. I think that's a little rude. I meant top 30, and I don't want big law. I'm just asking an honest question, you don't have to get all offended because I'm making a comparison to your school.
Sorry, that was rude, but did you read the thread? If you did, you would find:

1) Top 30 is still not a meaningful category for comparison
2) References to NLJ250 statistics (and indeed all over TLS; you're not a newb)

Also, in general:

1) UNC has never been viewed as a regional school; basically it's an NC school, along with Wake
2) NLJ250 stats are the best approximation of placement, not just biglaw, that we have. It is still relevant even if you don't want biglaw
3) Charlotte as a financial center tanked and has not returned to the extent, say, NYC has returned. People who would have gotten biglaw will trickle down and attempt to take your jerbs

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Nogameisfair wrote: I don't see why you're so angry. If you don't want to waste your time responding to a "poast [that] reeks of failure" just don't respond. This is a lot like the homeless guy near the train station who screams at passersby for being in a hurry. Stop going out of your way to be an asshole. Someone else will answer the question and tell DeeCee that UNC has very little placement power in DC, or anywhere outside of the state. Chill, Dude.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:24 pm

I have a question that is a bit off topic, but what Bar exam do lawyers usually take to work in DC?

It seems like a majority of them take the bar in Maryland and Virginia.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:24 pm

rad law wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote: I don't see why you're so angry. If you don't want to waste your time responding to a "poast [that] reeks of failure" just don't respond. This is a lot like the homeless guy near the train station who screams at passersby for being in a hurry. Stop going out of your way to be an asshole. Someone else will answer the question and tell DeeCee that UNC has very little placement power in DC, or anywhere outside of the state. Chill, Dude.
Chuckle... People come here for answers to their questions, not for you to masturbate on their face. There are sites for that. I realize that this field is full of assholes, like yourself, but I feel like we can at least pretend to be civil.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:24 pm

DeeCee wrote:Again, just asking a question, I don't need to be preached at, as I'm just feeling out where UNC stands. Not all of us care about biglaw, either (shocker!). I would be happy getting a job working in NC, up to DC. I am evaluating my options--that is all.
I'm not pumped about biglaw either, but paying off sticker price debt is quite difficult without it.

If you want to work in NC, go to UNC. It's a great deal. But don't got to UNC expecting you have more than a snowball's chance in hell of working in DC.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:25 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I have a question that is a bit off topic, but what Bar exam do lawyers usually take to work in DC?

It seems like a majority of them take the bar in Maryland and Virginia.
I would recommend NY. It gives you another major market, and people move between the two relatively frequently.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:31 pm

Rad Law, I'm not sure why you're so angry when where I attend school won't affect you.

The reason I am asking the UNC question is because I have several options throughout the top 50 and I am trying to figure out which school would meet my personal goals. I am also wait listed at two places within the top 20 and I'm trying to decide if I should stay on and have a slight chance of getting in at sticker, versus taking UNC at 17k per year.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:33 pm

bk187 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:Again, just asking a question, I don't need to be preached at, as I'm just feeling out where UNC stands. Not all of us care about biglaw, either (shocker!). I would be happy getting a job working in NC, up to DC. I am evaluating my options--that is all.
I'm not pumped about biglaw either, but paying off sticker price debt is quite difficult without it.

If you want to work in NC, go to UNC. It's a great deal. But don't got to UNC expecting you have more than a snowball's chance in hell of working in DC.
Point taken, thank you for your thoughts. This is more of what I was looking for in terms of understanding UNC's reach.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:33 pm

DeeCee wrote:Rad Law, I'm not sure why you're so angry when where I attend school won't affect you.

The reason I am asking the UNC question is because I have several options throughout the top 50 and I am trying to figure out which school would meet my personal goals. I am also wait listed at two places within the top 20 and I'm trying to decide if I should stay on and have a slight chance of getting in at sticker, versus taking UNC at 17k per year.
Stay on the waitlist, there is no benefit to pulling out of it. You can put a seat deposit down at UNC and still be on the waitlist at other schools.

UNC is probably one of the best deals in the T1 due to cost and lack of competition. However, it requires you be okay with practicing in NC.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:34 pm

Just got into UNC!!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:35 pm

DeeCee wrote:Point taken, thank you for your thoughts. This is more of what I was looking for in terms of understanding UNC's reach.
DC is super competitive. I'd honestly expect you to have a better chance in NYC than DC coming out of UNC if you were high in the class.

Ialdabaoth

Bronze

Post by Ialdabaoth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Rad law and others, do any of you know if there is an up-to-date version of this post: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108528, which combines the NLJ250 rankings with data on federal clerkships? IMO, this combination offers a much better overall view of schools' placement abilities than does the NLJ250 by itself. In fact, if someone doesn't know much about law schools, they would be extremely confused by the NLJ 250 since, e.g., Yale is ranked 18th. Also, should the 2010 rankings be available approximately the same time this year as they were last year (late Feb.)? TIA!

ETA: I would be happy to work on compiling new clerkship data for the T14 (or T1) if a few other people wanted to also work on it. I have loads of free time on my hands this semester, haha.
Last edited by Ialdabaoth on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”