Need Help. Liberty, Mississippi College, Ave Marie

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
applepiecrust

Re: Need Help. Liberty, Mississippi College, Ave Marie

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:09 pm

1. OP, why do you want to go to law school? (And, no, not just because you are passionate about the law).

2. Are there significant factors hindering your ability to spend 3+ months studying hard for the LSAT to take it again?

Personally, I would just not go to any of those schools even if I were paid to do so, but that is because they are so discordant with my personal beliefs and values (at least, Ave Maria and Liberty are. I don't know about MC). However, if those schools are aligned with your religious and political beliefs and you feel those are environments you would thrive in, consider going to the cheapest of those schools (however, this only holds if your answer to my second question was yes. If it was not, just study for the LSAT again and reapply next cycle. Please!)

BrianOz1

Postby BrianOz1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:33 pm

I have lived in MS and Ole Miss is highly regarded in MS, for whatever that is worth. MC is a whole different story. I'm assuming you're applying next cycle. Retake. What do you have to lose at this point?

jdl239

Postby jdl239 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:21 pm

General Tso wrote:
jdl239 wrote:Bump

Miss College with full tuition scholarship or Ole Miss at in-state Sticker?

probably MC if no GPA requirement on the $$ and if you will need to borrow to attend Ole Miss. goes without saying, but there's a 99% chance you will end up with a small firm (or out of the legal field) if you attend MC. There is about a 5% chance of getting a job at a big or medium sized firm out of Ole Miss.

personally I like small firm work, and a 40-45k job out of MC with no debt would be appealing. to me at least.

if you can afford to attend Ole Miss debt-free though, I'd attend there. the quality of life in Oxford is 10x greater than that of Jackson. and the school does have a better reputation and stronger alum network.

Thanks, I like the prospect of MC at the moment. I have been in banking for a couple of years now and just need to change. I live on the gulf coast now. My fiance is in Jackson at medical school. So that is another plus for MC, that and I would be <30K in debt coming out of school with the scholarships. I am not looking for the big law job like most people on TLS are. I would be quite happy with a small firm job.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:26 pm

jdl239 wrote:
General Tso wrote:
jdl239 wrote:Bump

Miss College with full tuition scholarship or Ole Miss at in-state Sticker?

probably MC if no GPA requirement on the $$ and if you will need to borrow to attend Ole Miss. goes without saying, but there's a 99% chance you will end up with a small firm (or out of the legal field) if you attend MC. There is about a 5% chance of getting a job at a big or medium sized firm out of Ole Miss.

personally I like small firm work, and a 40-45k job out of MC with no debt would be appealing. to me at least.

if you can afford to attend Ole Miss debt-free though, I'd attend there. the quality of life in Oxford is 10x greater than that of Jackson. and the school does have a better reputation and stronger alum network.

Thanks, I like the prospect of MC at the moment. I have been in banking for a couple of years now and just need to change. I live on the gulf coast now. My fiance is in Jackson at medical school. So that is another plus for MC, that and I would be <30K in debt coming out of school with the scholarships. I am not looking for the big law job like most people on TLS are. I would be quite happy with a small firm job.

Yes, because small firm jobs are soooooooo much easier to get, rite?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:10 pm

MC is probably not worth 30k debt. I'd probably retake the LSAT if I were you.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:54 pm

I love how the OP hasn't been on in 3 weeks yet this has taken a life of its own. I will preface this by saying I have no first or secondhand info on these schools. I can't believe I am advocating this, but if you really must pay sticker at one of these and think you can work your ass off and overachieve you might consider Ave Maria. They actually place about 4 federal clerkships per year. I have no objective evidence of the reason, but I suspect some of these might be people who could have gone to a higher ranked school but chose Ave Maria due to a hardcore Catholic background, and can as a result dominate at Ave Maria. I also suspect your target clerkship would have to be with a hardcore Catholic judge. So if you can somehow manage to be one of the top 4-6 people, I think you will have better options from there FWIW.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:58 pm

hhicks18 wrote:Before you read any further please understand this. I recognize that some of you are accepted into top 100 law schools and find responding to posts like this a ego booster, but not everyone can get into schools such the ones you have been admitted to. So please, lets take a trip back to kindergarten and be reminded...."if you do not have anything nice to say, don't say it at all". It will save both you and I time.

That being said, if you had to choose one of the three what would it be and why. I have done tons of research but dont know what to do. Any help is appreciated.

I don't know much about Liberty and MC, but do NOT go to Ave Maria.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:04 am

sanjola wrote:
hhicks18 wrote:Before you read any further please understand this. I recognize that some of you are accepted into top 100 law schools and find responding to posts like this a ego booster, but not everyone can get into schools such the ones you have been admitted to. So please, lets take a trip back to kindergarten and be reminded...."if you do not have anything nice to say, don't say it at all". It will save both you and I time.

That being said, if you had to choose one of the three what would it be and why. I have done tons of research but dont know what to do. Any help is appreciated.

I don't know much about Liberty and MC, but do NOT go to Ave Maria.

I will defer on this one. Only thing I know other than what I already said is that you can get Borked there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”