Need Help. Liberty, Mississippi College, Ave Marie Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ginj

Silver

Re: Need Help. Liberty, Mississippi College, Ave Marie

Post by Ginj » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:04 pm

rad law wrote:
Ginj wrote:
rad law wrote:
cartercl wrote:Actually, Mississippi College is not a bad school to go to if you don't mind practicing in Jackson, MS forever. That's the good news. Now for the bad news: it's Mississippi.
Ummm how many jobs are there in Jackson herp derp.
Mississippi College is the second best law school in the state. Out of two. ALSO, ridiculously expensive. ALSO ALSO, in the middle of the ghetto.

Just sayin'.
I could also say "Ummm how many jobs are in MS."

For the record one of my buddies who goes there says its bad bad bad.
Seconded.

I also have quite a few friends who go/went there.

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:10 pm

Mississippi College would be the "cheapest" at sticker. Note that all have horrific attrition rates: Liberty is 1/3 over two years; Ava Maria nearly 1/3 after 1st year; Mississippi College at 15%.

Think about this: I have a 3.5 and a 160 and I am considering not going to law schools with T2 acceptances and a T3 that would cost 40k overall debt. And I have enough money saved to ride out a year of looking for a job, plus pay bar studying/loan expenses. Again, I have a 3.5 and a 160 and am 50/50 on law school right now. There are people with better stats than me considering not attending. What should this tell you?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:10 pm

cartercl wrote:
rad law wrote:
cartercl wrote:Actually, Mississippi College is not a bad school to go to if you don't mind practicing in Jackson, MS forever. That's the good news. Now for the bad news: it's Mississippi.
Dude... don't start with me. You're a loser and you spend far too much time on this board. Get a life, and get laid man...

Oh, and BTW: Don't try to put that question off on me when it's clear that you don't know the answer. How about you find out and let us all know.
he's right. it's dumb to go deeply into debt for a MC JD. You are going to be making ~40k, and you'll be lucky to get a job requiring a law degree. You can open your small firm, but the ones I know of in MS doing that started off making ~20-30k in the first few years.

Is it worth 3 years of suffering through classes, foregoing a salary, and going deeply into debt?

People from Ole Miss are doing bad right now. Only the top TEN students got to participate in on campus interviews this past fall, and it's unlikely they all got offers.

Don't take it as a personal attack when someone advises you about bad school, or a bad career route. It is not at all personal...has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the state of the economy and the cost/benefit of attending law school.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:12 pm

General Tso wrote:
cartercl wrote:
rad law wrote:
Dude... don't start with me. You're a loser and you spend far too much time on this board. Get a life, and get laid man...

Oh, and BTW: Don't try to put that question off on me when it's clear that you don't know the answer. How about you find out and let us all know.
he's right. it's dumb to go deeply into debt for a MC JD. You are going to be making ~40k, and you'll be lucky to get a job requiring a law degree. You can open your small firm, but the ones I know of in MS doing that started off making ~20-30k in the first few years.

Is it worth 3 years of suffering through classes, foregoing a salary, and going deeply into debt?

People from Ole Miss are doing bad right now. Only the top TEN students got to participate in on campus interviews this past fall, and it's unlikely they all got offers.

Don't take it as a personal attack when someone advises you about bad school, or a bad career route. It is not at all personal...has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the state of the economy and the cost/benefit of attending law school.
Just to emphasize this:
General Tso wrote:It is not at all personal...has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the state of the economy and the cost/benefit of attending law school.

Plan2008

New

Post by Plan2008 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:14 pm

hhicks18 wrote:3.43/146

I have taken it twice an also took a princeton review prep course. I have been accepted to all three, I just dont know which one to go to. Also my fiancee is going to be attending one of the three as well. These are the best three for BOTH of us and that is why I am inquiring about these three.
You need better prep. If you look into Powerscore or Atlas, eventhough designed for 165+, you will do much better. I would do that and retake in June even if you are going to a T4. Your score will go up, I bet to about 155-160 and you may be able to transfer to a OU or FSU type program

I self studied, but looked at the pr and found ir wanting

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:17 pm

General Tso wrote:
cartercl wrote:

I honestly don't care if he's right. That's not the point. OP asked a direct question and I gave an answer directly related to that question. I never said that Mississippi College was a premier institution and I never guaranteed that he/she would get a job coming from there. However, I did say out of the three schools listed that's the one I would choose, and it was implied that if a job was ever obtained, it would be in Jackson and only Jackson. That's all OP asked. So yeah, I'll take it personally when someone makes a snark comment about something that was never under discussion in the first place.
Last edited by cartercl on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:19 pm

cartercl wrote:
rad law wrote:

You want to know the answer? Not enough to absorb anywhere near the number of Ole Miss and MS College grads that want to be there. And grads of other schools. To pretend otherwise is sheer ignorance, you buffoon.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:20 pm

cartercl wrote:
General Tso wrote:
cartercl wrote:

I honestly don't care if he's right. That's not the point. OP asked a direct question and I gave an answer directly related to that question. I never said that Mississippi College was a premier institution and I never guaranteed that he/she would get a job coming from there. However, I did say out of the three schools listed that's the one I would choose, and it was implied that if a job was ever obtained, it would be in Jackson and only Jackson. That's all OP asked. So yeah, I'll take it personally when someone makes a snark comment about something that was never under discussion in the first place.
You don't get it. OP is asking the wrong question.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:23 pm

rad law wrote:
cartercl wrote:
rad law wrote:

You want to know the answer? Not enough to absorb anywhere near the number of Ole Miss and MS College grads that want to be there. And grads of other schools. To pretend otherwise is sheer ignorance, you buffoon.
What is your point? Why are you telling me this? That's no different from any other legal market in the U.S. Also, I never said anything to the contrary. You're such an idiot dude.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:29 pm

cartercl wrote: What is your point? Why are you telling me this? That's no different from any other legal market in the U.S. Also, I never said anything to the contrary. You're such an idiot dude.
But the difference is, you probably won't be able to leave MS if you can't find a job in that very small market. Duh. That's the problem with TTT schools duder

I'll explain it for you, since you don't get it. Your attitude is "he asked a question, and I answered." But he asked the wrong question. Your attitude is like someone asking:

Q: "Should I commit suicide by slitting my wrists or jumping off a bridge?"
A: "Oh yeah, jumping off a bridge, I mean, it's not great, but it will get the job done with minimal grossness."

The correct question:

Q: "Should I commit suicide? If so, how?"
A: "Don't commit suicide."

If you don't get it, then you're beyond help.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:29 pm

rad law wrote:
No, you don't get it. It's not up for you to decide what questions people choose to ask and how they choose to ask them. If it bothers you so much why the hell do you bother responding? Seriously, find something better to do. And I really don't care how many of your TLS lackeys get on this forum and defend you. You're still a douche.

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:31 pm

OP, Assuming you are paying sticker price, tuition for 2010-2011 for each of those are:

Liberty: $27,836
Mississippi College: $26,700
Ave Maria: $35,948

If you are absolutely determined to go to one of these and will not consider retaking, I say go to Mississippi College (assuming you don't care where you practice). It will put you in the least amount of debt -- barely, but moreso considering COL, I assume. Also, I honestly haven't done a lot of research on these schools, but my guess would be that MC would put you at an ever-so-slight advantage compared to Liberty for job prospects since there are only two law schools in Mississippi.

Disclaimer:
a) There is no shame in re-retaking the test. I took the LSAT 3 times in one year, and am very happy that I did.
b) I know at least one successful lawyer from each of those two schools (MC & Liberty). You CAN become a lawyer and get a good job coming from these schools, it is just going to be VERY difficult.

Best of luck.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:32 pm

Rad Law and Cartercl why don't we just line you guys up next to eachother and see how far eachother can pee. Whoever pees farthest wins. Seems like the only fair way to resolve this dispute.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:32 pm

cartercl wrote:your TLS lackeys
Rad Law has lackeys?

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:32 pm

rad law wrote:
But the difference is, you probably won't be able to leave MS if you can't find a job in that very small market. Duh. That's the problem with TTT schools duder
Again, my original advice:
Actually, Mississippi College is not a bad school to go to if you don't mind practicing in Jackson, MS forever. That's the good news. Now for the bad news: it's Mississippi.
Anything else?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:33 pm

cartercl wrote:
rad law wrote:
No, you don't get it. It's not up for you to decide what questions people choose to ask and how they choose to ask them. If it bothers you so much why the hell do you bother responding? Seriously, find something better to do. And I really don't care how many of your TLS lackeys get on this forum and defend you. You're still a douche.
u mad at good advice bro?

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:34 pm

Last edited by cartercl on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:35 pm

Round n round we go!

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:36 pm

rad law wrote:
cartercl wrote:
rad law wrote:
You win man. I actually have better things to do with my day.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:41 pm

cartercl wrote:
rad law wrote:
cartercl wrote:
rad law wrote:

What cartercl said:

What rad law heard:
You are awesome. Keep insulting people online; you are so good at it. You are such a winner. I wish I could be like you.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:44 pm

I feel like we scared off OP.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chuckfinley

New

Post by chuckfinley » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 pm

@@ hicks18. Follow your oppurtunities wherever they lay. Remember this about asking for advice on Tls: Most feedback you'll get is from people whose sole qualification is that they are currently enrolled in law school. What this means in terms of skills is that they have developed a functional proficiency at writing blue book exams and playing with low level legal problems. Rest assured that you probably know your financial situation and your ability to land on your feet better than most other people.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:55 pm

hhicks18 wrote:Before you read any further please understand this. I recognize that some of you are accepted into top 100 law schools and find responding to posts like this a ego booster, but not everyone can get into schools such the ones you have been admitted to. So please, lets take a trip back to kindergarten and be reminded...."if you do not have anything nice to say, don't say it at all". It will save both you and I time.

That being said, if you had to choose one of the three what would it be and why. I have done tons of research but dont know what to do. Any help is appreciated.
People bag on people who don't get into T"100" law schools for the same reason you won't want a doctor from a Caribbean D.O. school doing surgery on your dad, in a professions where life, death, or freedom is at stake the old "kindergarten" adage "you can achieve anything you can dream", no longer applies, some people just aren't good enough (or rather, didn't choose to work hard enough to cultivate the intelligence necessary to become a lawyer).

That being said, I can completely understand if, as someone who could have gotten into a "better" school you choose to attend one of these schools because of religious or geographic preference. I would probably recommend Liberty or Ave Marie because of their they have often served as feeders to government positions under conservative administrations. Although with Obama being in office, this isn't likely to help much, by the time you graduate, things might be very different.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:01 pm

chuckfinley wrote:What this means in terms of skills is that they have developed a functional proficiency at writing blue book exams and playing with low level legal problems.
The legal problems law students grapple with are actually much, much more complex than those that the vast majority of practitioners will ever encounter in their career.

Plan2008

New

Post by Plan2008 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:42 pm

Veyron wrote: People bag on people who don't get into T"100" law schools for the same reason you won't want a doctor from a Caribbean D.O. school doing surgery on your dad, in a professions where life, death, or freedom is at stake the old "kindergarten" adage "you can achieve anything you can dream", no longer applies, some people just aren't good enough (or rather, didn't choose to work hard enough to cultivate the intelligence necessary to become a lawyer).

That being said, I can completely understand if, as someone who could have gotten into a "better" school you choose to attend one of these schools because of religious or geographic preference. I would probably recommend Liberty or Ave Marie because of their they have often served as feeders to government positions under conservative administrations. Although with Obama being in office, this isn't likely to help much, by the time you graduate, things might be very different.

Here is something that is interesting. ASU (Phoenix) is ranked above 50 by USNWR and in the same city there is a T4 called phoenix u or something (being local they send me flyers). Anyway, 71% of ASu grads pass the bar while 98% of PU grads do. The ASU grads typically have far better GPA/LSAT going in. So which school is better? The up and coming state school or the TTTT.

If you want to get a job right out of school, I'd say ASU. But if you want to be prepared to make money and do good work five years down the road, the answer is not as clear. Having said that, I'd rather cut off my own arm than go to TTTT. There is something to be said for being granted the respect your hard work has earned. IMHO.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”