UGA Biglaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pricer

Re: UGA Biglaw

Postby Pricer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:14 pm

rad law wrote:
Pricer wrote:
rad law wrote:
Enjoy Vanderbilt bro.

According to LSN and the acceptance thread, I'm looking at a WL. If I get WLed, I will probably withdraw my application, because most of the time WL -- > no $. I don't know that I would be willing to attend Vandy and live in Nashville on nothing but loans.

You could get WL or in, depending on how good your other admissions stuff is. That's just how Vandy works.

My pre-law advisor offered me very little advice, and, upon doing my own research, most of that was wrong. Therefor, my PS has only been proof read by my mom and a couple of people on TLS, so it is mediocre at best. I was involved in a few clubs., but held no positions and did not participate much. The only community service I did was because I got arrested freshman year. My numbers are the strongest part of my application. I am going to submit a Why Vandy? essay on Friday if I have not heard back, and possibly a UVA one just to see if it helps.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Pricer wrote:
rad law wrote:
Pricer wrote:
rad law wrote:
Enjoy Vanderbilt bro.

According to LSN and the acceptance thread, I'm looking at a WL. If I get WLed, I will probably withdraw my application, because most of the time WL -- > no $. I don't know that I would be willing to attend Vandy and live in Nashville on nothing but loans.

You could get WL or in, depending on how good your other admissions stuff is. That's just how Vandy works.

My pre-law advisor offered me very little advice, and, upon doing my own research, most of that was wrong. Therefor, my PS has only been proof read by my mom and a couple of people on TLS, so it is mediocre at best. I was involved in a few clubs., but held no positions and did not participate much. The only community service I did was because I got arrested freshman year. My numbers are the strongest part of my application. I am going to submit a Why Vandy? essay on Friday if I have not heard back, and possibly a UVA one just to see if it helps.

Yeah get the Why Vandy in bro

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:47 am

Pricer wrote:Texas and Vandy are my top choices at the moment. Vandy would set me up for NYC or Atlanta, and UT would set me up in Houston or Dallas.

You're likely going to get Texas w/ in-state waiver and $, and assuming you forego Vanderbilt for the above reason, that would probably put you in a better position for Atlanta firms than either UGA or Emory since you have ties to the city

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:01 am

f0bolous wrote:
Pricer wrote:Texas and Vandy are my top choices at the moment. Vandy would set me up for NYC or Atlanta, and UT would set me up in Houston or Dallas.

You're likely going to get Texas w/ in-state waiver and $, and assuming you forego Vanderbilt for the above reason, that would probably put you in a better position for Atlanta firms than either UGA or Emory since you have ties to the city

I actually wouldn't mind living in Texas for a while. If I could get biglaw in Texas for a few years, I could come back to Atlanta later.

treeey86

Postby treeey86 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:52 am

I would not be surprised if Emory tossed you $82-96k scholly. Great deal, even if you are in-state. Emory's 2L OCI was not great, but it was about the norm for most T20-30 schools. It just so happens that Emory's 3L OCI was horrible, and widely published. But 3L OCI is notoriously terrible, and no 3L expects to rely on 3L OCI when attending a T20-30 school. It is true there are top 20% students struggling to get NYC SA. It is also true there are top third students who did get NYC SA. Given the smaller SA classes, firms now look for more particular things when hiring, so it really is a crap shoot. Grades do get you interviews, but other factors are the main focus for callbacks and offers.

As an Emory student, I have made these observations:

Emory will place you in Atlanta and up and down the coast. Emory has a strong showing in NY as well.

UGA has an advantage in Georgia as a whole. In Atlanta itis probably even between Emory and UGA.

Vandy or Duke is better than both Emory and UGA for Atlanta. Though there are way more UGA and Emory alums in Atlanta than Duke or Vandy.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:38 pm

treeey86 wrote:I would not be surprised if Emory tossed you $82-96k scholly. Great deal, even if you are in-state. Emory's 2L OCI was not great, but it was about the norm for most T20-30 schools. It just so happens that Emory's 3L OCI was horrible, and widely published. But 3L OCI is notoriously terrible, and no 3L expects to rely on 3L OCI when attending a T20-30 school. It is true there are top 20% students struggling to get NYC SA. It is also true there are top third students who did get NYC SA. Given the smaller SA classes, firms now look for more particular things when hiring, so it really is a crap shoot. Grades do get you interviews, but other factors are the main focus for callbacks and offers.

As an Emory student, I have made these observations:

Emory will place you in Atlanta and up and down the coast. Emory has a strong showing in NY as well.

UGA has an advantage in Georgia as a whole. In Atlanta itis probably even between Emory and UGA.

Vandy or Duke is better than both Emory and UGA for Atlanta. Though there are way more UGA and Emory alums in Atlanta than Duke or Vandy.

Thanks for the input. I am completely broke, so I can't really afford the app fee for Emory. I may email them and see about a fee waiver.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”