William & Mary Employment #'s question

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JakeL

William & Mary Employment #'s question

Postby JakeL » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:28 pm

I hadn't really given this school too much consideration due to it currently being $20k/year more expensive than a couple of my other options (Bama, IUB), but have always been intrigued by it due to location, beauty of school, tradition, etc.

Anyways, I noticed that the reported salary data(I know this must be taken with grain of salt) for W&M seems to be very high compared to the other schools I mentioned. Is this because most of W&M are practicing in urban areas with higher COL, or are they just getting way better jobs?

Capitol A

Re: William & Mary Employment #'s question

Postby Capitol A » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:36 pm

JakeL wrote:I hadn't really given this school too much consideration due to it currently being $20k/year more expensive than a couple of my other options (Bama, IUB), but have always been intrigued by it due to location, beauty of school, tradition, etc.

Anyways, I noticed that the reported salary data(I know this must be taken with grain of salt) for W&M seems to be very high compared to the other schools I mentioned. Is this because most of W&M are practicing in urban areas with higher COL, or are they just getting way better jobs?

My guess would be the placement of grads. Many people go to WM hoping to crack the DC market, and That salary data is for medians, and 75ths. The part of the class that stays in Richmond or other smaller southern towns could make significantly less without changing the median.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:37 pm

I think W&M's higher salary could have to do with reporting bias as well as location bias. If you don't mind living in the south or the midwest, I would choose one of the other two. IU is a great option for Indianapolis, which is not a bad city to live in (very low COL, the winters don't get too horrible (at least compared to South Bend :D ), and Bloomington is a great college town if that's what you like.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:35 pm

JakeL wrote:I hadn't really given this school too much consideration due to it currently being $20k/year more expensive than a couple of my other options (Bama, IUB), but have always been intrigued by it due to location, beauty of school, tradition, etc.

This is purely anecdotal, but the most successful lawyer I know personally attended W&M for law school. She works for a boutique firm in Atlanta. She is in her mid-30s and makes over a million a year.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:17 pm

Interesting thoughts everyone. Thanks!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”