Maryland vs. American

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
laurencita7

Maryland vs. American

Postby laurencita7 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:47 am

Scholarship info still hasn't come out yet, but any thoughts on comparing these two schools? Very interested in public interest/government work in DC, don't care about biglaw. Thanks!

Aqualibrium

Re: Maryland vs. American

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:57 am

laurencita7 wrote:Scholarship info still hasn't come out yet, but any thoughts on comparing these two schools? Very interested in public interest/government work in DC, don't care about biglaw. Thanks!

Assuming similar price:

1. If that price is sticker, neither. If that price still puts you in six figure debt, neither. (though I suppose that depends on your own aversion to debt)

OR

2. Visit and see which one you like the most. Neither is going to make your path to public interest/government work substantially "easier" than the other. There's honestly no need to hear a real comparison of these school as a result. You'll hear that American is liberal, is a little out there in relation to the heart of DC, etc... You'll hear that Maryland has good clinics etc... In the end, none of that really matters. They are two schools in the same region that do not traditionally enjoy any substantial advantage over one another in terms of jobs in the region. That means that if they are your final two choices, you need to visit both and see which one you feel the most comfortable at.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:44 pm

Doesn't UMd not do as well in DC in general as WCL? UMd's main market is Baltimore.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:06 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Doesn't UMd not do as well in DC in general as WCL? UMd's main market is Baltimore.

Yeah, and the MD areas surrounding DC. Obviously, American puts more people in DC but I think UMD might be better for the area as a whole and especially with in state tuition and other savings. UMD is really we regarded in the state while American isn't really well regarded anywhere.

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Anyone able to offer information as to whether or not instate tuition is available after 1L at Maryland? I would imagine this would be a huge selling point for UMD.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:16 pm

DC = Awesome
Baltimore = Worst City Ever

ach24

Postby ach24 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:17 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:25 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:DC = Awesome

FALSE! There are way worse cities than Baltimore -- Detroit, Philly, Oakland, Baghdad, Camden -- and at least it has a great nightlife. Hell, if it wasn't for the Anacostia, DC would be too.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:30 pm

I wouldn't take either for PI work in DC (or any work in DC for that matter).

At American you are low man on the DC totem pole, not a fun place to be in. At Maryland you are even further behind American.

That being said, I would give up your DC dreams and go to Maryland (assuming it will be cheaper, but I think it probably will be). You will be the top school with little competition fighting for jobs in Maryland and that isn't the worst place to be.

If you really want DC, retake the LSAT and at least swing GW (preferably a T14) or at least a hefty scholarship to a lower school.

AreJay711 wrote:

FALSE! There are way worse cities than Baltimore -- Detroit, Philly, Oakland, Baghdad, Camden -- and at least it has a great nightlife. Hell, if it wasn't for the Anacostia, DC would be too.

Baltimore is way worse than Oakland if only for the former's oppressive summer heat.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 pm

yeah, I recommend getting an apartment in Anacostia.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:12 pm

Yeah, OP, I would choose Maryland as well. Baltimore isn't THAT bad.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:14 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Yeah, OP, I would choose Maryland as well. Baltimore isn't THAT bad.

And the Chevy Chase/Bethesda areas (pretty much up to Rockville) might as well be part of DC and likely would be if DC was an organic city.

Autoaccept

Postby Autoaccept » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Baltimore really isn't that bad, it's actually really fun and much cheaper than DC. I'm from DC but my sister lives in Baltimore (West Baltimore, so it's not like I'm jaded by visiting a nice area). Also, while there are plenty of drug murders I doubt there's any more danger for those outside of "the game" than there is in DC. And though I doubt I'll end up at Maryland that building is seriously impressive.

androstan

Postby androstan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:03 pm

My wife is a PharmD student at UMD. She got in-state residency after her first year (also first year of living in MD).

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:06 pm

I tend to agree with this. I hate Baltimore (save for the Ravens) and adore DC. IDK if its the worst city ever, but it sucks pretty bad IMO

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:39 am

Baltimore is a cool city. I went to undergrad there and at first I didn't really like it, but it really grew on me. There are tons of cool bars, it is pretty cheap, there are actually some good restaurants, and it is a pretty young city. Once you spend some time there and get to know it, it gets a lot better.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:43 am

Baltimore def has a lot to offer in entertainment and food. It's not nearly as bad as people say it is. There's good and bad parts like any city. The law school is next to the harbor and Camden Yards so it's def not as bad there.

American isn't really even in DC. Yea, it's within the borders but American is more MD than DC and you def won't get the DC experience going to American. The metro gets you all over DC but it's not exactly that convenient to go from American to downtown.

Autoaccept

Postby Autoaccept » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:41 pm

How is it inconvenient to take the Metro 5-6 stops without transferring? American is definitely in DC. It's about a 5 minute Metro ride from Tenley into downtown.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:45 pm

AreJay711 wrote:

FTFY

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:56 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

I tend to agree with this. I hate Baltimore (save for the Ravens) and adore DC. IDK if its the worst city ever, but it sucks pretty bad IMO

Baltimore has the inner harbor. And crab cakes. And exceedingly high crime rates. Detroit may be a shit hole, but Oakland County, Michigan is home to some of the nation's most beautiful suburbs. Pikesville and Towson are about as nice as greater Baltimore gets (and that ain't saying much).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”