UChicago vs. Cornell (JD/LLM)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DClawyer

UChicago vs. Cornell (JD/LLM)

Postby DClawyer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:31 am

Got accepted into both and trying to figure out which one to go to. I got into the JD/LLM in International law at Cornell, while at UChicago I'm in the normal JD program. I want to end up working for the government in DC. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

What are the merits of both JD programs? Is an LLM in International law useful/necessary?

Thanks!

DorianGray89

Re: UChicago vs. Cornell (JD/LLM)

Postby DorianGray89 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:21 pm

DClawyer wrote:Got accepted into both and trying to figure out which one to go to. I got into the JD/LLM in International law at Cornell, while at UChicago I'm in the normal JD program. I want to end up working for the government in DC. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

What are the merits of both JD programs? Is an LLM in International law useful/necessary?

Thanks!

+1

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Chiacago. Almost all of Cornell winds up in NYC practicing in large law firms.

Check out their career statistics, only one to three graduates per year go into Federal Government positions and not all of those are necessarily in DC.

--LinkRemoved--

Chicago has some detailed info on where their grads are working. There are 418 in DC.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/alumni/wherearetheynow2010

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 pm

I'm interested in whether or not the LLM is worth it.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:40 pm

I'd go to Chicago for anywhere but NYC. Also, TLS consensus is that LLMs are worthless so you might want to save some money if you get a scholarship packet at Cornell that makes the slightly lesser mobility worth it.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:44 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I'd go to Chicago for anywhere but NYC. Also, TLS consensus is that LLMs are worthless so you might want to save some money if you get a scholarship packet at Cornell that makes the slightly lesser mobility worth it.

I have heard that an LLM in anything other than tax is worthless, for tax it is almost a necessity.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”