What would be your school choice?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you choose?

Northwestern - @ 190k debt
65%
BC - @ 150k debt
8%
Wake - @ 75k debt
7%
UF - @ 60k debt
9%
Baylor - @ 15k debt
11%

Total votes: 130

berkeleykel06

Re: What would be your school choice?

Postby berkeleykel06 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:23 pm

whereto4law wrote:You are right bk, so let me try that again: retaking is not an option for me as I am starting law school this August no matter what and have commitments leading up to that time.

This is a stupid attitude to have.

As a reverse splitter paying sticker at a T14 (with great grades so far, making biglaw a very realistic probability), I still regret not waiting a year, retaking, and reapplying, to have the option of saving A HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS + INTEREST by getting a scholarship. That way, you can both go to a good school to benefit from the better employment prospects, while not having to take on such burdensome debt.

It is February. You cannot tell me that your plans for August are so set that you can't even entertain the option of doing anything but law starting school.

Defer, Retake, Reapply.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:33 pm

whereto4law wrote:Any other thoughts or feelings out there? Know anyone who faced a similar situation?

Seriously consider bk's advice above. Waiting a year and retaking could dramatically effect the rest of your life.

mez06

Postby mez06 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:38 pm

NW or UF.

Employment is strong at BC but if you're going to shell that type of cash out, might as well go for the big fish in NW.

Please forget about Baylor

UF is low tuition and good prospects from the best school in the state. And did I mention low tuition. Def the conservative choice. I'd praise the lord and buy a ticket to the Chi though, FWIW.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:50 am

Im surprised at so many people saying Baylor - the 4th best LS in Texas over UF which is the highest ranked school in FL and is held in much more esteem than Baylor ever could be in TX. Plus you don't hear tons of negative stuff about UF on TLS all day.

whereto4law

Postby whereto4law » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:38 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:
whereto4law wrote:You are right bk, so let me try that again: retaking is not an option for me as I am starting law school this August no matter what and have commitments leading up to that time.

This is a stupid attitude to have.

As a reverse splitter paying sticker at a T14 (with great grades so far, making biglaw a very realistic probability), I still regret not waiting a year, retaking, and reapplying, to have the option of saving A HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS + INTEREST by getting a scholarship. That way, you can both go to a good school to benefit from the better employment prospects, while not having to take on such burdensome debt.

It is February. You cannot tell me that your plans for August are so set that you can't even entertain the option of doing anything but law starting school.

Defer, Retake, Reapply.

I understand and appreciate the reasoning behind your suggestion. However, one critical piece of information that makes me hesitant about a retake is the fact that I took a prep course before taking the LSAT. I studied very hard, and my score ended up being pretty high relative to my PT's. As a result, I think it is unlikely that my score would go up enough to get significant scholarships and make it worth taking a year off.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:12 pm

whereto4law wrote:I understand and appreciate the reasoning behind your suggestion. However, one critical piece of information that makes me hesitant about a retake is the fact that I took a prep course before taking the LSAT. I studied very hard, and my score ended up being pretty high relative to my PT's. As a result, I think it is unlikely that my score would go up enough to get significant scholarships and make it worth taking a year off.

Then go to NW.

I am pretty much the biggest proponent of re-taking this side of radlaw, but if you can't get it up, you can't get it up. I agree, no use fighting it. Take the NW offer and run with it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:
whereto4law wrote:I understand and appreciate the reasoning behind your suggestion. However, one critical piece of information that makes me hesitant about a retake is the fact that I took a prep course before taking the LSAT. I studied very hard, and my score ended up being pretty high relative to my PT's. As a result, I think it is unlikely that my score would go up enough to get significant scholarships and make it worth taking a year off.

Then go to NW.

I am pretty much the biggest proponent of re-taking this side of radlaw, but if you can't get it up, you can't get it up. I agree, no use fighting it. Take the NW offer and run with it.

Then I amend my answer to say go to NU and gun for biglaw to pay off that debt.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:20 pm

bk1 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Then go to NW.

Then I amend my answer to say go to NU and gun for biglaw to pay off that debt.

Fine fine fine. If you really think you've peaked then NU is a great feat.

whereto4law

Postby whereto4law » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:42 pm

What would you choose if NU and BC were out of the picture?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:45 pm

whereto4law wrote:What would you choose if NU and BC were out of the picture?

UF. Actually I probably wouldn't even go to law school. Why are NU and BC out of the picture?

Go to NU.

Informative

Postby Informative » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:51 pm

Northwestern and BC are the only two schools on your list that place well in BigLaw and clerkships. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108528

If that is something you want, you should only really evaluate those schools. Northwestern is the better school with better stats. Northwestern is going to place better in the midwest, while BC is going to place better in the northeast.

If you don't want BigLaw, don't take either NU or BC. The debt will hold you back from taking gov't or PI jobs. The rest of the schools on your list are all very regional and fairly mediocre. I would pick the school in the market you would like the most to live in, while keeping your total debt under 50k at graduation (keeping interest build-up in mind, if necessary).

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:

if you can't get it up, you can't get it up. I agree, no use fighting it.

It's no big deal and it happens to lots of guys.

Sean1269

Postby Sean1269 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Go to the school that minimizes debt most. Baylor is not a bad choice. The others are great schools, better schools, but 150K-190K is debt is not worth it. That's like buying a house (depending on where you live and housing prices). By the time you graduate you will basically owe a mortgage, so if you want to buy a house, you will owe two mortgages assuming anyone would give you a line of credit with 150K of debt and a law degree in a sub-par market. Keep in mind interest as well, If i remember correctly the federal loans have interests rates of 6.5+ percent (correct me if I'm wrong), although not compounding, this is still a series chunk of $$$$!

That being said, have you tried negotiating scholly's? I'm sure if you got into Northwestern you could go to a t30 with a scholly...

my 2 cents

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Sean1269 wrote:That being said, have you tried negotiating scholly's? I'm sure if you got into Northwestern you could go to a t30 with a scholly...

This is a false assumption.

Certain schools are stingy with scholarship money (i.e. Fordham) and certain schools wouldn't necessarily let in a splitter whereas NU would (i.e. BC). On top of that, full tuition scholarships at most places are really rare so if you want to work in let's say DC/NYC/SF/Boston, a 30k/year scholarship to the top regional school in the area is still leaving you with around 100k in debt after total CoA is factored in.

So yes, it could be true, but the top regional in the area you want to work in may not let you in or give you enough scholarship money to lessen your debt by a significant enough margin to take it over NU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”