(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ialdabaoth

Re: Berkeley vs. UCLA

Postby Ialdabaoth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Sinra wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:
profizzle wrote:Lolwut. Idk what OCI stats your looking at brother, but median at Boalt is NOT secure for LA biglaw ITE. Boalt barely placed 50% in BigLaw total in OCI 2007 (see 2009 NLJ 250 numbers) and that was before ITE, dawg. Closer to 30-40% now, Bro Montana. I love Berkeley but your statements simply aren't true, mango.

This is a very common logical fallacy that appears on TLS over and over again. Simply because a school places x% in Biglaw does not mean that only the top x% of a class can find employment in Biglaw. There are many reasons why this is poor reasoning, here are a few:

a) Many people in the top 50% of a given class at Boalt choose not to go Biglaw.
b) Many people at Boalt choose to go to market or near-market boutique firms that don't show up as Biglaw/NLJ 250.
c) A moderate amount of people who are below median get Biglaw jobs due to market selection and performance at interviews.

Also, the weird slang isn't very funny.

Not to mention that the same report these posters keep referencing show that the difference between Boalt and NYU is 0.1%. It's ludicrous that it keeps being regurgitated as a negative fact regarding Boalt Biglaw placement.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

---

Thanks for all your thoughts, everyone.

+10000000000000 to the bolded.

I really don't understand the obsession with a less than 6% difference between Boalt and the number one school, Northwestern (and the other varying, tiny differences among the rest). I think it's the anti-hippie vibe around here, haha.

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:20 pm

LA is regional to SoCal, while Berk will give you a shot all along the west coast.

lawmantentwo

Postby lawmantentwo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:23 pm

this whole schools being regional or national or statewide...its all BS. No one cares that you went to UCLA, Berkeley or USC...it's all about the person, your grades, your experience.

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:46 pm

lawmantentwo wrote:this whole schools being regional or national or statewide...its all BS. No one cares that you went to UCLA, Berkeley or USC...it's all about the person, your grades, your experience.

This is precisely why it is regional, lol.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:52 am

lawmantentwo wrote:this whole schools being regional or national or statewide...its all BS. No one cares that you went to UCLA, Berkeley or USC...it's all about the person, your grades, your experience.

Umm....what?

westcoastcentric

Postby westcoastcentric » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:18 pm

If it makes a difference, Boalt campus is a mess right now. Construction on the law school itself and long-term construction on the stadium right across the street.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:21 pm

westcoastcentric wrote:If it makes a difference, Boalt campus is a mess right now. Construction on the law school itself and long-term construction on the stadium right across the street.

The law school construction is going to be done this spring, which just means next year's 1Ls will have access to a brand new part of the building.
The stadium has no impact on the law school.

aesis

Postby aesis » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:15 pm

UCLA is renowned for its Philosophy program so I can understand your hesitation, but please please don't go to UCLA over Berkeley at sticker. I wouldn't even go to UCLA at half-scholarship over Berkeley. And if you're interested in entertainment law I really don't think the program would outweigh the strength of the IP program at Berkeley. Berkeley just beats UCLA hands-down in this realm. Environment/weather, not so much IMO, but the difference isn't enough to warrant turning down Berkeley.

Disclaimer: I've lived in West LA for 5 years and from SoCal. I hope to return to LA after law school. If you haven't experienced LA it's a great place to be as long as you have a car, but even if you were from NorCal and were sick of the Bay I'd still pick Berkeley for its overall academic superiority.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 pm

aesis wrote:UCLA is renowned for its Philosophy program so I can understand your hesitation, but please please don't go to UCLA over Berkeley at sticker. I wouldn't even go to UCLA at half-scholarship over Berkeley. And if you're interested in entertainment law I really don't think the program would outweigh the strength of the IP program at Berkeley. Berkeley just beats UCLA hands-down in this realm. Environment/weather, not so much IMO, but the difference isn't enough to warrant turning down Berkeley.

Disclaimer: I've lived in West LA for 5 years and from SoCal. I hope to return to LA after law school. If you haven't experienced LA it's a great place to be as long as you have a car, but even if you were from NorCal and were sick of the Bay I'd still pick Berkeley for its overall academic superiority.

Thanks for your thoughts. I figure that going to Berkeley would open up LA long-term anyway and it's overall a better decision--especially if I ever choose to come back to NY.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:44 pm

aesis wrote:UCLA is renowned for its Philosophy program so I can understand your hesitation, but please please don't go to UCLA over Berkeley at sticker. I wouldn't even go to UCLA at half-scholarship over Berkeley. And if you're interested in entertainment law I really don't think the program would outweigh the strength of the IP program at Berkeley. Berkeley just beats UCLA hands-down in this realm. Environment/weather, not so much IMO, but the difference isn't enough to warrant turning down Berkeley.

This is the one reason I was thinking of UCLA over Berkeley. I'm in a little different situation than the OP because if I get into UCLA I go for free and at Berkeley I'm in and it's looking like I'm going to pay 5000 or less/yr. So for me the price isn't the issue but the entertainment law program at UCLA just seemed spectacular, although after further review the IP law program at Berkeley probably opens more doors even in Socal.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:47 am

You probably need to be top 1/3 to get LA biglaw out of Boalt, but I think it'd be easier to get any job/an OOS job out of Boalt than UCLA. Assuming similar costs, I would go to Boalt.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:18 am

cornellbeez wrote:You probably need to be top 1/3 to get LA biglaw out of Boalt, but I think it'd be easier to get any job/an OOS job out of Boalt than UCLA. Assuming similar costs, I would go to Boalt.

Wrong, per usual. It's easily top half as long as you can interview.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:34 am

Last edited by profizzle on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:What is UCLA's Law and Philosophy program? It sounds worthless. Berkeley will give you better employment prospects, so if neither gives you money then I'd recommend Berkeley.

Lol. not to get off track but I'm telling you every time I look at dual degree programs I think of this quote. Not sure if it's true or not but it sure is funny!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”