Going to a school with no ties in the region

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dr123

Re: Going to a school with no ties in the region

Postby dr123 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:58 pm

f0bolous wrote:
dr123 wrote:Could someone better define what "ties to a region" are? I have lived in 7 different states, do I have "ties" to all of these regions?

not sure how to define it, but it could range from a "strong tie" of being born/growing up some place to a "weak tie" of having family some place.

so yeah, arguably you'd have ties to all 7 places, but there will only be maybe 2 or 3 where they'd be strong enough to matter. general rule of thumb, if you can talk intelligently about a place, show a connection, and know things about the place that only a local would know, then it would count.

I split most of my childhood between 2 of them, went to ug in another, and moved to 2 of them for work. Would those would be strong enough to matter, yea?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:05 pm

dr123 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
dr123 wrote:Could someone better define what "ties to a region" are? I have lived in 7 different states, do I have "ties" to all of these regions?

not sure how to define it, but it could range from a "strong tie" of being born/growing up some place to a "weak tie" of having family some place.

so yeah, arguably you'd have ties to all 7 places, but there will only be maybe 2 or 3 where they'd be strong enough to matter. general rule of thumb, if you can talk intelligently about a place, show a connection, and know things about the place that only a local would know, then it would count.

I split most of my childhood between 2 of them, went to ug in another, and moved to 2 of them for work. Would those would be strong enough to matter, yea?

yea, if you can talk about it, sure. it's about how well you communicate it in your cover letter and then how you convey it during the interview. since you've lived in these places, you pass the first test and probably won't get outright dinged from the get-go.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:15 pm

do texans have enough of an advantage in texas to make UT not really worth it for out of staters? i mean if out of staters are only 35% of the class and all the firms would rather hire texans it seems like a hard move for an out of stater to justify.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:45 pm

FlanAl wrote:do texans have enough of an advantage in texas to make UT not really worth it for out of staters? i mean if out of staters are only 35% of the class and all the firms would rather hire texans it seems like a hard move for an out of stater to justify.

for the major markets in TX (ie, Dallas or Houston), direct ties won't matter as much as grades, but the question will always come up if you're not from the area "Why City X?" The advantages of being a local are that you can give a more persuasive answer and will be looked at more favorably when you're tied completely equally with someone w/r/t grades and interview skills (which to be honest, probably doesn't happen all that often). however, where being local really does matter are the more insular markets, but then it's not so much "texas" ties as it is ties to the specific city (like San Antonio, El Paso, Midland, etc)

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 am

thanks!!! i think UT is probably a good case study for this type of question.

idoubtit

Postby idoubtit » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:15 am

I live in Boston and I have to say, Boston is a really tough city.
My friend studying at Harvard Law calls me consistantly to complain that even Harvard law is not a golden ticket anymore. Last year all his classmates struggled to find internships in Boston,and many had to go to NYC and worked for non-profit organizations over the summer. He warned me for many times that there are too many lawyers already in this country, and if u cannot get in HYS, it's not worthwhile to go to law school anymore. Even Harvard graduates are struggling a lot, that's what he told me.
I have a bunch of lawyer friends who graduated from BU/BC, they are all having a hard time making a living in Boston. If you look at the profiles of partners in big law firms here, u rarely see graduates from BU/BC, and it should tell u something.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:16 pm

2011Law wrote:
bk1 wrote:
2011Law wrote:Wow, so who is right about BU, since it is one of the main places I am thinking about going? BU is obviously not NYC (which is in its own world) or DC, but I was under the impression that it's still fairly large and biglaw pays the same there as in DC or NYC.

Informative is generally wrong about everything he posts.

That's good to know.

Anyone have experience with Boston?

Actually, Informative was right (generally) about Boston. It's extremely difficult to get into Boston without ties to New England, even from a Top 10 school. Boston, I think, is different from most other markets in that they will place value on the fact that you attended law school in Boston. They love the Boston-area schools. Of course, in this market, it's hard for anyone from BC/BU to get a job in Boston without good grades.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:52 pm

idoubtit wrote:I live in Boston and I have to say, Boston is a really tough city.
My friend studying at Harvard Law calls me consistantly to complain that even Harvard law is not a golden ticket anymore. Last year all his classmates struggled to find internships in Boston,and many had to go to NYC and worked for non-profit organizations over the summer. He warned me for many times that there are too many lawyers already in this country, and if u cannot get in HYS, it's not worthwhile to go to law school anymore. Even Harvard graduates are struggling a lot, that's what he told me.
I have a bunch of lawyer friends who graduated from BU/BC, they are all having a hard time making a living in Boston. If you look at the profiles of partners in big law firms here, u rarely see graduates from BU/BC, and it should tell u something.

this is really depressing.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”