Rutgers - Newark vs. Rutgers - Camden

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dr123

Rutgers - Newark vs. Rutgers - Camden

Postby dr123 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:29 pm

So ya, whats the difference between these schools exactly? They're ranked similarly, have similar numbers, are in the same state, etc.. What makes some people choose camden over newark and vice versa

champ33

Re: Rutgers - Newark vs. Rutgers - Camden

Postby champ33 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:57 pm

Camden is much more oriented to Philly and South Jersey whereas Newark is toward New York and North Jersey, as far as I understand. I'm not sure how much success you can have trying to reverse those areas for employment, but my understanding is it's best to choose one or the other based on which of the two regions you want to work in.

keg411

Re: Rutgers - Newark vs. Rutgers - Camden

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:25 am

champ33 wrote:Camden is much more oriented to Philly and South Jersey whereas Newark is toward New York and North Jersey, as far as I understand. I'm not sure how much success you can have trying to reverse those areas for employment, but my understanding is it's best to choose one or the other based on which of the two regions you want to work in.

Basically this. Although I actually chose the school in the opposite part of NJ as where I'm from and do not regret it. From what I've learned from my 1L employment search is that no one is going to care if you are from Camden and apply in North Jersey or from Newark and apply in South Jersey.

Since neither school places very many people in large firms (I'd say maybe 10 total people each, if that), however, you are better off going to the school in the region where you want to work so that you can form relationships with area attorneys.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”