NYU vs Columbia comparison

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
angua

Re: NYU vs Columbia comparison

Postby angua » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:21 pm

How well does NYU place outside of NYC? I'm guessing CLS has a slightly wider net. Y/N?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:24 pm

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
The Stig wrote:
ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:this is the difference

students at NYU compare themselves to CLS

students at CLS don't compare themselves to NYU

that should tell you something

A lot of what you have been posting is about how much CLS is better than NYU...from your actions it seems more like CLS is insecure about its position at #4 (which it only got back from NYU in the 2010 rankings) so you feel obliged to come on this thread and boast about its "prestige" etc.

So if you were to act in the manner that your quoted post describes, you wouldn't be posting like that, and you'd just be focusing on why CLS is great (hint: 0Ls would like to hear more in-depth answers than just "prestige prestige prestige")...

ETA: exactly what glitched said!

I've already said why CLS is great. All 0L's have to do is look at Cravath's website

http://www.cravath.com/lawyers/list.asp ... ace34c3217

vs.

http://www.cravath.com/lawyers/list.asp ... 8b67dc0120

CLS lawyers at Cravath = 97 (77 associates)
NYU lawyers at Cravath = 45 (28 associates)

so pretty much a student at CLS has a 2x greater chance of getting into Cravath than an NYU student...

I'm assuming you didn't take statistics.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
The Stig wrote:
ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:this is the difference

students at NYU compare themselves to CLS

students at CLS don't compare themselves to NYU

that should tell you something

A lot of what you have been posting is about how much CLS is better than NYU...from your actions it seems more like CLS is insecure about its position at #4 (which it only got back from NYU in the 2010 rankings) so you feel obliged to come on this thread and boast about its "prestige" etc.

So if you were to act in the manner that your quoted post describes, you wouldn't be posting like that, and you'd just be focusing on why CLS is great (hint: 0Ls would like to hear more in-depth answers than just "prestige prestige prestige")...

ETA: exactly what glitched said!

I've already said why CLS is great. All 0L's have to do is look at Cravath's website

http://www.cravath.com/lawyers/list.asp ... ace34c3217

vs.

http://www.cravath.com/lawyers/list.asp ... 8b67dc0120

so pretty much a student at CLS has a 2x greater chance of getting into Cravath than an NYU student...

I'm assuming you didn't take statistics.
I'm assuming he's not really at Columbia....or he's doing really poorly.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I'm assuming you didn't take statistics.

Why is this a stock response for everyone on TLS whenever someone mentions data?

Even though ShakeDemHatersOff might not have much tact, he does have a point. Wachtell and Cravath are basically the cream of the crop and CLS is much better represented within those firms than NYU is (despite NYUs larger student body).

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:35 pm

bdubs wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:I'm assuming you didn't take statistics.

Why is this a stock response for everyone on TLS whenever someone mentions data?

Because he made a horrible statistically-based argument. He could have just said "CLS has about twice as many associates as NYU @ Firm XXX" that would've been enough.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:42 pm

This guy has GOT to be a flame. There are definitely some NYU students with an inferiority complex about CLS; sure, it's a little sad, but lay prestige speaks to some people and that's their right. But a CLS student with a superiority complex about NYU?? just freaking creepy. Get off the computer for a while dude.

ShakeDemHatersOff

Postby ShakeDemHatersOff » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:44 pm

--LinkRemoved--

more salt on the wounds

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:55 pm

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:https://www.sullcrom.com/ataglance/?view=schools

more salt on the wounds

I don't go to either school, so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but you are probably the most insufferable toolshed on this entire site. I'm going to go ahead and be a "hater" so, shake me off if you'd like, but I hope you get median pwned this semester so you'll stfu.

twistedwrister

Postby twistedwrister » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:18 pm

Two reasons why NYU **appears** to place slightly less well in NYC biglaw than Columbia:

(1) NYU sends 10% or so of every class, many of whom are top students, to PI/Gov. Columbia sends 3-4%. This difference is large enough to account for the lower % of NYU in, e.g., the NLJ 250.

(2) CLS students tend to be more prestige obsessed than NYU students, so the top students at CLS choose the top Vault firms (Cravath, S&C, etc.) Top NYU students are generally less predictable with their choices. For example, more than 10 students in my class (NYU 3L) had SA offers from Cravath and NONE took the offer. I had offers at most of the V10 and turned them all down.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:23 pm

twistedwrister wrote:Two reasons why NYU **appears** to place slightly less well in NYC biglaw than Columbia:

(1) NYU sends 10% or so of every class, many of whom are top students, to PI/Gov. Columbia sends 3-4%. This difference is large enough to account for the lower % of NYU in, e.g., the NLJ 250.

(2) CLS students tend to be more prestige obsessed than NYU students, so the top students at CLS choose the top Vault firms (Cravath, S&C, etc.) Top NYU students are generally less predictable with their choices. For example, more than 10 students in my class (NYU 3L) had SA offers from Cravath and NONE took the offer. I had offers at most of the V10 and turned them all down.

This makes me happy

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:43 pm

FWIW I lived in Morningside Heights for years and loved it. The park and the river are right there and they can be beautiful places of respite in the city. And, it is so easy to jump on a train and be anywhere. I prefer that kind of a neighborhood to the NYU area - but that is just me. I think it may be cheaper to live near Columbia in terms of going out, etc but I am not familiar enough with NYU to compare.

More importantly though, I think people should not base decisions on "what other people may think". Nor should you make a decision looking at the difference in a few percentage points in one category or another. You need to go look at both places and see where you will be happy. I also caution people against assuming they are going to go to school and end up in a certain job - biglaw or PI. You may know what you think you want but what you actually get is hard to predict before you start school.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:00 am

can we just ignore haterade?

I'd like to hear from some real students at CLS or NYU!

ShakeDemHatersOff

Postby ShakeDemHatersOff » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:13 am

twistedwrister wrote:Two reasons why NYU **appears** to place slightly less well in NYC biglaw than Columbia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q13XS_R2mU

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:46 am

^ lol

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:55 am

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:if it makes you feel better I guess you can convince yourself thats why

I however just rest on the FACTS

Ur fax got pwnd.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:03 am

Blindc1rca wrote:wow, points for ignorance & unnecessary bellicosity.

QF use of the word "bellicosity."

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:20 am

rose711 wrote:FWIW I lived in Morningside Heights for years and loved it. The park and the river are right there and they can be beautiful places of respite in the city. And, it is so easy to jump on a train and be anywhere. I prefer that kind of a neighborhood to the NYU area - but that is just me. I think it may be cheaper to live near Columbia in terms of going out, etc but I am not familiar enough with NYU to compare.

More importantly though, I think people should not base decisions on "what other people may think". Nor should you make a decision looking at the difference in a few percentage points in one category or another. You need to go look at both places and see where you will be happy. I also caution people against assuming they are going to go to school and end up in a certain job - biglaw or PI. You may know what you think you want but what you actually get is hard to predict before you start school.

Thank you for this.

glitched

Postby glitched » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:28 am

honestly, is the neighborhood around columbia really that bad? basically, i want to be in a neighborhood where i can go jogging around when i want to. also i want to be in a place where there isn't a lot of noise pollution - i'm more into the quiet, able to walk around in a pleasant neighborhood park type place. i want to also be surrounded by cafes - i can't get enough of them. some of my favorite places to study in UG were cafes. they don't have to be like a starbucks or coffee bean type nice but i'd prefer to sit in a clean desk/chair. i also don't plan on getting a car so it would be nice to be able to walk to an off-campus apt and a majority of things that i will go to (food, bars, etc.).

I don't know NY at all, so I don't know if this matches NYU more or CLS.

And also when describing the areas, could you please use NYU or CLS cause morningside, happyville, darkcornerwithrapistplace all really mean nothing to me. thanks :)

edit: i do not know if i will even get into CLS... heh. this will probably jinx me.

spondee

Postby spondee » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:52 am

CLS is definitely in a quieter, cheaper neighborhood. I like it up there. Has a neighborhood feel. Close to good parks.

Both schools will have lots of cafes. By NYU you could walk to a different cafe every day and not run out.

The blocks immediately around NYU always feel like a bad undergrad party to me -- but five blocks in any direction and you're in a better, more interesting area. NYU's advantage is its proximity to everything in NY you've ever heard about or seen on TV -- and, importantly, once you've got a life and friends beyond school, its proximity to the places you'll want to go at night and the neighborhoods your friends will live in.

If you get into both, you'll just have to visit and see how you feel.
Last edited by spondee on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:39 am

glitched wrote:honestly, is the neighborhood around columbia really that bad? basically, i want to be in a neighborhood where i can go jogging around when i want to. also i want to be in a place where there isn't a lot of noise pollution - i'm more into the quiet, able to walk around in a pleasant neighborhood park type place. i want to also be surrounded by cafes - i can't get enough of them. some of my favorite places to study in UG were cafes. they don't have to be like a starbucks or coffee bean type nice but i'd prefer to sit in a clean desk/chair. i also don't plan on getting a car so it would be nice to be able to walk to an off-campus apt and a majority of things that i will go to (food, bars, etc.).

I don't know NY at all, so I don't know if this matches NYU more or CLS.

And also when describing the areas, could you please use NYU or CLS cause morningside, happyville, darkcornerwithrapistplace all really mean nothing to me. thanks :)

edit: i do not know if i will even get into CLS... heh. this will probably jinx me.

:|
Last edited by thecilent on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:14 am

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:

You really don't understand probability.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:16 am

My main problem with the CLS v. NYU location problem is that I don't really want to live on campus or leave brooklyn (friends, good apt I have here), but the thought of commuting that long to get to CLS is daunting.

I do it once a week to babysit a nephew of mine who is in Pre-K right around CLS and it takes me a solid hour usually, 45 minutes if I'm lucky, to get to him.

rockspaperjesus

Postby rockspaperjesus » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:36 pm

Does anyone know how on-campus housing works at either NYU or Columbia if you plan on living with a significant other (not married) who is not also attending the school? Is it possible or should I assume that I will have to look elsewhere for housing? I've been out of school for a couple years and am not really up for living with strangers again...
Last edited by rockspaperjesus on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:50 pm

rockspaperjesus wrote:Does anyone know how on-campus housing works at either NYU or Columbia if you plan on living with a significant other who is not also attending the school? Is it possible or should I assume that I will have to look elsewhere for housing? I've been out of school for a couple years and am not really up for living with strangers again...

+1, in the same exact stuation.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:59 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
rockspaperjesus wrote:Does anyone know how on-campus housing works at either NYU or Columbia if you plan on living with a significant other who is not also attending the school? Is it possible or should I assume that I will have to look elsewhere for housing? I've been out of school for a couple years and am not really up for living with strangers again...

+1, in the same exact stuation.

NYU provides family housing, I assume CLS does the same. I know NYU offers either large studio apts. or a 1BR/living room apt for someone living with a spouse/significant other. You would get priority for these apartments when you submit your housing app.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”