NYU vs Columbia comparison

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Sogui

Re: NYU vs Columbia comparison

Postby Sogui » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:22 am

@Lem

Fair enough, I could just as well be bitching about how CLS is cheaper and closer to so many good parks if I went to NYU.

On the other hand I can't stand dive bars, or most bars in general - but dive bars especially. My comment is based on food and shopping primarily, with an eye to "going out" as well. Fact is all that is going to be much closer to NYU. You can have fun exploring Morningside for sure, and the park access is awesome (though Central Park isn't exactly on our doorstep)... but whenever my SO would come in for a visit I felt like staying in the neighborhood rarely presented options.

There's just a lot more going on downtown and while there are individual preferences to account for, I feel like the average 1L is going to appreciate NYU's location much more than CLS's but that's just an opinion based on the above reasoning so please don't get offended (it seems like every one of these threads has to get personal).

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:10 am

thecilent wrote:
Renzo wrote:
holborn wrote:
Curry wrote:How much more expensive is CLS than Nyu?

I didn't look this up first (and honestly this info can just be found on their websites), but I believe columbia is only slightly more expensive then NYU in terms of tuition. Which ends up being more expensive comes down to housing, lifestyle, scholarships, etc. If you want to live in school provided housing I guarantee that columbia would be cheaper. (Columbia you can get university apartment housing for as low as $800, most people are right around $1000. I believe mercer at NYU is upwards of $1500). However, if you're planning on living in brooklyn regardless, then the school with the lower base tuition would be cheaper.

When I started school 1 1/2 yrs ago, NYU was the most expensive school in America by COA, and CLS was the most expensive by tuition alone. They're both outrageously expensive, and basically the same.

Sometimes this really scares me. Wondering if this much debt is actually worth it..

especially with the new budget! get ready for debt interest to start accumilating while you're in school! Have fun with that. Now I feel even more strongly I'm going to take free at Berkeley or Virginia over NYU (if I get in).

tlslsnlsp

Postby tlslsnlsp » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:35 am

let's talk about the dean's cup. how competitive is it? do both schools have a team that regularly meets up to practice and stuff, or is it more like "dean's cup is next week, whoever wants to play show up at the gym at xyz time so we can run through a pick-up game or two to get to know each other"? How good are the players (i'm assuming you can find at least 12 dudes who played varsity ball in HS but are there a good number of guys who played in college as well?)

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:39 am

Sogui wrote:@Lem

Fair enough, I could just as well be bitching about how CLS is cheaper and closer to so many good parks if I went to NYU.

On the other hand I can't stand dive bars, or most bars in general - but dive bars especially. My comment is based on food and shopping primarily, with an eye to "going out" as well. Fact is all that is going to be much closer to NYU. You can have fun exploring Morningside for sure, and the park access is awesome (though Central Park isn't exactly on our doorstep)... but whenever my SO would come in for a visit I felt like staying in the neighborhood rarely presented options.

There's just a lot more going on downtown and while there are individual preferences to account for, I feel like the average 1L is going to appreciate NYU's location much more than CLS's but that's just an opinion based on the above reasoning so please don't get offended (it seems like every one of these threads has to get personal).

Sorry, I should have been more specific: if you want food and shopping, the Upper West Side has the same breadth of stores and restaurants as the West Village or SoHo, and is only a ten minute walk away (honestly, it has a lot of the same exact establishments, especially since a number of restaurants in NYC have multiple locations). It also has the benefit of being less crowded than SoHo or the Village, which, again, is always filled with tourists and undergrads. As for general culture, you're a quick (10 minute) bus/train ride away from the Met Museum, the MoMA, and Lincoln Center. Furthermore, a "park" in New York is not just beautiful landscape: here, it's the setting of museums, restaurants, performances and musical shows. I live on 111th and Amsterdam, and Central Park is literally a few blocks away from my doorstep.

Again, I'm not taking anything you're saying personally - I just want incoming admits to know that Morningside is wonderful neighborhood in which to go to law school. I can't account for personal taste or "fit," but I can respond to the assertion that uptown suffers from a dearth of good restaurants, bars, and shopping. And having lived in New York for over four years now (and having partied in essentially every neighborhood in Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn), I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your assessment.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:03 pm

Lem37 wrote:

Sorry, I should have been more specific: if you want food and shopping, the Upper West Side has the same breadth of stores and restaurants as the West Village or SoHo, and is only a ten minute walk away (honestly, it has a lot of the same exact establishments, especially since a number of restaurants in NYC have multiple locations). It also has the benefit of being less crowded than SoHo or the Village, which, again, is always filled with tourists and undergrads. As for general culture, you're a quick (10 minute) bus/train ride away from the Met Museum, the MoMA, and Lincoln Center. Furthermore, a "park" in New York is not just beautiful landscape: here, it's the setting of museums, restaurants, performances and musical shows. I live on 111th and Amsterdam, and Central Park is literally a few blocks away from my doorstep.

Again, I'm not taking anything you're saying personally - I just want incoming admits to know that Morningside is wonderful neighborhood in which to go to law school. I can't account for personal taste or "fit," but I can respond to the assertion that uptown suffers from a dearth of good restaurants, bars, and shopping. And having lived in New York for over four years now (and having partied in essentially every neighborhood in Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn), I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your assessment.

This is all certainly true, Lem, but as someone who knows for sure that I don't want to live in Morningside Heights, can you tell me if there are any CLS people to your knowledge who live in Brooklyn?

HugerThanSoup

Postby HugerThanSoup » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:22 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

This is all certainly true, Lem, but as someone who knows for sure that I don't want to live in Morningside Heights, can you tell me if there are any CLS people to your knowledge who live in Brooklyn?

Brooklyn? That would be quite the trip every day. I don't know anyone who goes back and forth that far.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:23 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

I knew one girl last year who lived in Brooklyn, but ultimately transferred to UAH housing her second year. I know a few students who currently live in Queens and Long Island.

Interestingly, I was also planning to live in Brooklyn when I started at CLS. I lived in Brooklyn for two years prior to law school - one year in Prospect Heights and one year in Bensonhurst (waaaay down South). It hadn't affected my choice in school, since unless you live in Dumbo (off the 1/2/3) or Williamsburg (off the L), it's going to be >30 minutes traveling time to get to either NYU or CLS. Ultimately I decided that I was sick of paying over $1K for a hole in the wall in an inconveniently-located borrough. Being subsidized, Columbia housing is MUCH cheaper than housing in Brooklyn (and obviously, right next to class!). But if you're attached to Brooklyn, and that's your deciding factor, then the cost/location of Columbia probably doesn't make much of a difference.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Lem37 wrote:
Interestingly, I was also planning to live in Brooklyn when I started at CLS. I lived in Brooklyn for two years prior to law school - one year in Prospect Heights and one year in Bensonhurst (waaaay down South). It hadn't affected my choice in school, since unless you live in Dumbo (off the 1/2/3) or Williamsburg (off the L), it's going to be >30 minutes traveling time to get to either NYU or CLS. Ultimately I decided that I was sick of paying over $1K for a hole in the wall in an inconveniently-located borrough. Being subsidized, Columbia housing is MUCH cheaper than housing in Brooklyn (and obviously, right next to class!). But if you're attached to Brooklyn, and that's your deciding factor, then the cost/location of Columbia probably doesn't make much of a difference.

I have a pretty sweet deal where I am right now, I am close to the 2/3, most of my non-law schools friends are here, I dislike Morningside Heights, etc. CLS housing is also a pretty good deal, but I am also considering moving in with my bf, so there is a lot going into the decision.

It sounds like it is super-rare but some people do it.

emilsinclair

Postby emilsinclair » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:07 pm

I'm currently deciding between these schools, and have been reading this thread. I live in NYC, and I think that some of the recent information is a bit off. There's no way you can get from Williamsburg to Columbia in 30 minutes. More like an hour. Also, it is nowhere near a 10 minute bus-ride from Columbia to the Met or MOMA. It might be a 10 minute walk to the park, but central park around Columbia is fairly desolate. There's a nice little pond, but it's not as populated, and certainly isn't what people outside of NYC think of when they think of central park. Also, to say that it is a 10 minute walk to the upper west side sounds a bit misleading, because the shops and restaurants on the upper west side that are similar to ones in the village are much further south.

I don't think any of these considerations should sway anyone as to what law school they attend - it sounds bizarre to me to decide to attend one law school in NYC over another because it is closer to bars/shops/restaurants - this is new york, there are probably more bars/shops/restaurants here than any other city in the country. Columbia is, however, undoubtedly more isolated than NYU.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:11 pm

emilsinclair wrote:it sounds bizarre to me to decide to attend one law school in NYC over another because it is closer to bars/shops/restaurants - this is new york, there are probably more bars/shops/restaurants here than any other city in the country. Columbia is, however, undoubtedly more isolated than NYU.

I think the problem some of us are having is that the academics at both schools are pretty compelling, and the discussions over placement devolve into heated arguments over statistical nuance. Particularly if you want to practice in New York after school, there aren't a lot of clear points in favor of one school over the other. For me the most compelling argument for me would be money, but that's obviously person by person. So beyond all that, it's not bizarre to look at the location of the campus, you'll be spending a great deal of time there after all.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:18 pm

emilsinclair wrote:I'm currently deciding between these schools, and have been reading this thread. I live in NYC, and I think that some of the recent information is a bit off. There's no way you can get from Williamsburg to Columbia in 30 minutes. More like an hour. Also, it is nowhere near a 10 minute bus-ride from Columbia to the Met or MOMA. It might be a 10 minute walk to the park, but central park around Columbia is fairly desolate. There's a nice little pond, but it's not as populated, and certainly isn't what people outside of NYC think of when they think of central park. Also, to say that it is a 10 minute walk to the upper west side sounds a bit misleading, because the shops and restaurants on the upper west side that are similar to ones in the village are much further south.

I don't think any of these considerations should sway anyone as to what law school they attend - it sounds bizarre to me to decide to attend one law school in NYC over another because it is closer to bars/shops/restaurants - this is new york, there are probably more bars/shops/restaurants here than any other city in the country. Columbia is, however, undoubtedly more isolated than NYU.

I was referring to Williamsburg --> NYU for the 30 minute estimate. It only takes 10 minutes or so to get from Morningside train stations to the 50th Street 1 stop, where the MoMA is. And I usually cut right across the Park to get to the Met. Lincoln Center is even closer, right off the 66th Street Stop. Even if you want to up the estimates from 10 to 15 minutes, that's still negligible, and the "popular" parts of Central Park are right near those locations. Finally, the fun shops and restaurants in the UWS run from the 80's down to the 60's - my favorites are in the mid-80's, which is only a 10-15 minute walk from my University apartment. You'll also find a lot of great shopping in the mid-80's (chains like Sephora, Aldo, Gap, Banana Republic, GameStop, and TONS of great little boutiques).

EDIT: And all of these things are a 5-10 minute cab ride away (with 10 minutes being those rare instances in which you hit every single red light on your way down).

emilsinclair

Postby emilsinclair » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:30 pm

ahduth wrote:
emilsinclair wrote:it sounds bizarre to me to decide to attend one law school in NYC over another because it is closer to bars/shops/restaurants - this is new york, there are probably more bars/shops/restaurants here than any other city in the country. Columbia is, however, undoubtedly more isolated than NYU.

I think the problem some of us are having is that the academics at both schools are pretty compelling, and the discussions over placement devolve into heated arguments over statistical nuance. Particularly if you want to practice in New York after school, there aren't a lot of clear points in favor of one school over the other. For me the most compelling argument for me would be money, but that's obviously person by person. So beyond all that, it's not bizarre to look at the location of the campus, you'll be spending a great deal of time there after all.

That's fair enough. Of course different people look for different things in schools, and different things matter to different people. Personally, I prefer to read up on things written by certain professors at both schools, and make an informed decision based on that. Others prefer a less "bookish" approach.

I suppose the point of my first comment was rather ambivalent with respect to location. On the one hand, Columbia seems to be further away from certain parts of the city or famous attractions, but in terms of being in neighborhoods that offer a healthy variety of bars, shops, and restaurants, it seems to me like both schools are in areas with plenty to do.

Lem, I didn't mean to be too nitpicky - you obviously live there, so no how long it takes to get to things. The NYC subway is easy to use, and can get you places pretty fast. It is a big city, however, and NYU has a more central location...

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:53 pm

I just haven't had any luck differentiating on the basis of the professors and clinics. But I may need to send emails and ask specific questions to really sort that out.

The argument about accessibility is kind of... eh. Once you're talking about jumping on a train, it's really not that far to anywhere in Manhattan. The more relevant discussion involves stuff that is "on campus." If the hordes tourists downtown are going to get on your nerves, NYU is going to be annoying. I haven't spent much time (at all) on Columbia's campus, but it sounds like the school... actually has one. With NYU, anytime you cross Broadway, you're at risk of running across packs of people from Connecticut or Tokyo doing shopping or god knows what. When I was in UG, I liked that, but it's a personal preference thing obviously.

Commuting in from an outer borough or Jersey is a different story of course. Although commuting to CLS from Brooklyn doesn't actually sound that bad to me - that's plenty of time to do some reading. :D

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:57 am

emilsinclair wrote:I'm currently deciding between these schools, and have been reading this thread. I live in NYC, and I think that some of the recent information is a bit off. There's no way you can get from Williamsburg to Columbia in 30 minutes. More like an hour. Also, it is nowhere near a 10 minute bus-ride from Columbia to the Met or MOMA. It might be a 10 minute walk to the park, but central park around Columbia is fairly desolate. There's a nice little pond, but it's not as populated, and certainly isn't what people outside of NYC think of when they think of central park. Also, to say that it is a 10 minute walk to the upper west side sounds a bit misleading, because the shops and restaurants on the upper west side that are similar to ones in the village are much further south.

Seconded,this reflects my experiences with these trips.

I suppose the point of my first comment was rather ambivalent with respect to location. On the one hand, Columbia seems to be further away from certain parts of the city or famous attractions, but in terms of being in neighborhoods that offer a healthy variety of bars, shops, and restaurants, it seems to me like both schools are in areas with plenty to do.

Sure it's not a dessert out here, I don't think anybody is saying that. It just depends on how "healthy" you want your variety to be. Does Morningside have more than 1 bar? Do we have a good selection of ethnic food? Are there stores that sell things? Sure

I might sound vain for invoking Yelp here, but if you've never been to the two neighborhoods then just see what Yelp has to say. Needless to say, using that metric, it's hardly a close call as to which has the superior restaurants, nightlife, & shopping within easy travel distance.

ShakeDemHatersOff

Postby ShakeDemHatersOff » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:56 am

ahduth wrote:I just haven't had any luck differentiating on the basis of the professors and clinics. But I may need to send emails and ask specific questions to really sort that out.

The argument about accessibility is kind of... eh. Once you're talking about jumping on a train, it's really not that far to anywhere in Manhattan. The more relevant discussion involves stuff that is "on campus." If the hordes tourists downtown are going to get on your nerves, NYU is going to be annoying. I haven't spent much time (at all) on Columbia's campus, but it sounds like the school... actually has one. With NYU, anytime you cross Broadway, you're at risk of running across packs of people from Connecticut or Tokyo doing shopping or god knows what. When I was in UG, I liked that, but it's a personal preference thing obviously.

Commuting in from an outer borough or Jersey is a different story of course. Although commuting to CLS from Brooklyn doesn't actually sound that bad to me - that's plenty of time to do some reading. :D

:lol:

look man its pretty simple

CLS >>> NYU (in terms of lay prestige, elite firm placement, supreme court placement)

other than that they're pretty much equal

If being closer to the heart of the action in downtown NYC is more important to you than PRESTIGE, ELITE FIRM PLACEMENT, and CHANCE TO CLERK ON THE SUPREME COURT then by all means go to NYU.

However, I personally don't see how anyone who gets into CLS would turn it down (minus a difference in $) for NYU when there is literally NOTHING that it does better than CLS while I think there are several areas where CLS is clearly better than NYU.

nyf

Postby nyf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:09 pm

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
ahduth wrote:I just haven't had any luck differentiating on the basis of the professors and clinics. But I may need to send emails and ask specific questions to really sort that out.

:lol:

look man its pretty simple

CLS >>> NYU (in terms of lay prestige, elite firm placement, supreme court placement)

other than that they're pretty much equal

If being closer to the heart of the action in downtown NYC is more important to you than PRESTIGE, ELITE FIRM PLACEMENT, and CHANCE TO CLERK ON THE SUPREME COURT then by all means go to NYU.

However, I personally don't see how anyone who gets into CLS would turn it down (minus a difference in $) for NYU when there is literally NOTHING that it does better than CLS while I think there are several areas where CLS is clearly better than NYU.

I was picking between the 2 and chose NYU to avoid certain kinds of people. I don't think bars/location matter that much, but your classmates can make you miserable.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:43 pm

nyf wrote:I was picking between the 2 and chose NYU to avoid certain kinds of people. I don't think bars/location matter that much, but your classmates can make you miserable.

Yeah, it's not clear exactly why this guy is trolling in this fashion, but that angle is definitely of interest to me. I don't think any law school suffers from a shortage of insecure assholes. The whole prestige thing reeks of entitlement though, and people like this guy risk offending my delicate Midwestern sensibilities. His argument in favor of increased name recognition and placement opportunities gains more traction if you're looking at HYS. But "CHANCE TO CLERK ON THE SUPREME COURT"? I'm not thinking that should be that high up on anyone's list of reasons to attend Columbia, particularly vis-a-vis NYU.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:48 pm

ahduth wrote:
nyf wrote:I was picking between the 2 and chose NYU to avoid certain kinds of people. I don't think bars/location matter that much, but your classmates can make you miserable.

Yeah, it's not clear exactly why this guy is trolling in this fashion, but that angle is definitely of interest to me. I don't think any law school suffers from a shortage of insecure assholes. The whole prestige thing reeks of entitlement though, and people like this guy risk offending my delicate Midwestern sensibilities. His argument in favor of increased name recognition and placement opportunities gains more traction if you're looking at HYS. But "CHANCE TO CLERK ON THE SUPREME COURT"? I'm not thinking that should be that high up on anyone's list of reasons to attend Columbia, particularly vis-a-vis NYU.

Please don't let him affect your opinion of CLS kids. There are gunners at every school, but for the most part we're really a friendly, diverse, and laid back group of people - many of us really don't want to clerk for the Supreme Court, to be honest. ;)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:50 pm

nyf wrote:
I was picking between the 2 and chose NYU to avoid certain kinds of people... your classmates can make you miserable.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Lem37 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Please don't let him affect your opinion of CLS kids. There are gunners at every school, but for the most part we're really a friendly, diverse, and laid back group of people - many of us really don't want to clerk for the Supreme Court, to be honest. ;)

If you did you'd be at Chicago instead :P

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:07 pm

Sentry wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

If you did you'd be at Chicago instead :P

Yeah...studying under Posner...I'll pass. Economics is really not my thing. ;)

ma456

Postby ma456 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:44 pm

Lem37 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

I have delicate Midwestern sensibilities and I find that somewhat offensive as well. I am heavily leaning towards CLS, mainly due to a gut feeling of where I'll be happiest (I spent my UG in the Village) and the arguments about the differences between NYU and CLS seem to be getting a little stale. I'm going to factor in what the students are like when I visit, but Lem sounds pretty right to me. There are annoying people everywhere. Personally I'm not going to make a choice depending on whether there were a few people there that I found obnoxious. Neither will I make my choice depending on what people label 'prestige'.

ShakeDemHatersOff

Postby ShakeDemHatersOff » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:44 pm

ahduth wrote:

naw

more like REALITY offends your sensibilities

everything I said is true

check the numbers

glitched

Postby glitched » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:50 pm

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
ahduth wrote:

naw

more like REALITY offends your sensibilities

everything I said is true

check the numbers

no one is denying the truth to your claims. they are instead saying that you are a douche.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:59 pm

If there were to be a difference, CLS would probably have more prestige-whorey types than NYU. The thing is, however, they are both T6 schools, they are both obviously going to have a lot of people for whom prestige matters. Choosing NYU over CLS because you are afraid that there are too many people at CLS who are prestige-whorey gunners, is probably not a very good reason. I am sure both have their fair share.

In the legal field, their prestige seems pretty equal (although people of a slightly older generation definitely see Columbia>>NYU as NYU law wasn't always so highly regarded). Outside of law, Columbia is always going to sound better simply because Columbia is overall a more highly regarded university than NYU. If the opinion of a random person on the street matters to you than obviously you should pick CLS. As far as career opportunities go, however, I think that the opportunities are pretty similar between the two. Maybe it's ever-so-slightly easier to get a big law job from CLS, but if competing with a comparable applicant (GPA-wise) from NYU, its probably more personal stuff (interviews, etc) that's going to put you over the top than the school you attended.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”