NYU vs Columbia comparison

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thecilent

Re: NYU vs Columbia comparison

Postby thecilent » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 am

Lem37 wrote:
ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
rockspaperjesus wrote:I'm pretty sure I read more than a few here, but maybe they are more scattered throughout the site than I thought. I get the seeming need for justification, I just don't understand why people are using their own internal justification for their decision to sway those who have not yet decided. The conversation just seems a bit one-sided, focused primarily on NYU students distaste for Columbia.

Anyway, not intending to argue or anything, perhaps I missed some comments that would have filled in the gaps.

its envy of getting passed over by the hotter girl

most NYU students wanted to come to CLS and got denied so they have deluded themselves into thinkiing they never wanted CLS and that NYU is better

I've noticed the same phenomenon here at CLS with regard to HLS

and I'm sure the same might be happening at HLS with regard to YLS

pretty much everyone at these school are prestige obsessed strivers who value their worth as people by what some piece of paper says they are worth

Guys, please don't let this type of attitude turn you off to CLS. I'm sure that most of the students at NYU simply preferred that school to CLS.

That said, the grain of truth in this guy's posts is that, save around interview season (when the spirit of competition reigns), CLS kids really don't engage in any NYU-CLS comparison or NYU-bashing. We really don't care about these things.

Although he is trolling, his post prob has a lot of truth to it

jcn4

Postby jcn4 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:17 am

That's probably true of HLS/YLS and CLS/HLS but not so much of NYU/CLS because so many people who go to NYU got into both schools.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:18 am

jcn4 wrote:That's probably true of HLS/YLS and CLS/HLS but not so much of NYU/CLS because so many people who go to NYU got into both schools.

But there def are a lot of people who get into nyu and not cls (and wanted cls). On the other hand, there are prob not that many people who get into cls and not nyu.

jcn4

Postby jcn4 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:23 am

thecilent wrote:
jcn4 wrote:That's probably true of HLS/YLS and CLS/HLS but not so much of NYU/CLS because so many people who go to NYU got into both schools.

But there def are a lot of people who get into nyu and not cls (and wanted cls). On the other hand, there are prob not that many people who get into cls and not nyu.

I'm sure that's true for some, but "most students"? No way. Whereas at CLS, I'm guessing most students there actually did apply to HLS and were turned down. Also NYU was higher ranked than CLS 2 years ago.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:25 am

jcn4 wrote:
thecilent wrote:

I'm sure that's true for some, but "most students"? No way. Whereas at CLS, I'm guessing most students there actually did apply to HLS and were turned down. Also NYU was higher ranked than CLS 2 years ago.

Er, that's not true. I applied two years ago, in the 2008-2009 application season. CLS and NYU were numbers 4 and 5, respectively.

EDIT: NM, saw that NYU > CLS for 2008, but not 2007 or 2009 - I was using the 2009 rankings when I applied.

jcn4

Postby jcn4 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:27 am

I guess I mean 3 years ago then

spondee

Postby spondee » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:29 am

The problem with ShakeDem's post isn't that lots of CLS students were dinged by HLS or that more NYU students were dinged by CLS than vice versa. That should be obvious. It's that he implies all law students are insecure douches continuing to bash a school that rejected them year(s) ago. Most people move on.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:38 am

spondee wrote:The problem with ShakeDem's post isn't that lots of CLS students were dinged by HLS or that more NYU students were dinged by CLS than vice versa. That should be obvious. It's that he implies all law students are insecure douches continuing to bash a school that rejected them year(s) ago. Most people move on.

Yeah this is true. I'll prob be at nyu (even though I wanted cls), but it's really not a big deal to me.

glitched

Postby glitched » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:48 am

spondee wrote:The problem with ShakeDem's post isn't that lots of CLS students were dinged by HLS or that more NYU students were dinged by CLS than vice versa. That should be obvious. It's that he implies all law students are insecure douches continuing to bash a school that rejected them year(s) ago. Most people move on.

couldn't have said it better.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Anyone else really impressed with how much stuff CLS has sent? VCE...Binder...Miniature Library...Guide to NYC... how am I supposed to get my homework done when there is all this interesting material to read????

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:56 pm

I gave up an extra $75k at NYU to attend CLS for $50k

My verdict will be in once EIP is over and I know where I'm working next summer, otherwise the only thing I think was 'understated' for me was location. I hate bars and would not want NYU for the easier access to bars, but the proximity to so many different food and shopping options is a factor that didn't quite strike me until I started living here. If you want to do anything 'interesting' around Columbia, it probably means getting on a 20min+ subway ride... which curtails just how much 'going out' you'll end up doing. The average NYU 1L is going to see a lot more of New York than all but the most adventurous CLS 1L's

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:03 pm

jcn4 wrote:
thecilent wrote:

The year I applied, (according to LSN) only one person (URM) who got into CLS was rejected from NYU (with a 165/3.64), and there were 15 WL, out of the 192 accepted at CLS who applied to both, while of the 305 who got into NYU and applied to CLS, 102 were WL, 14 deferred (2 deferred -> accepted, both URMS), 3 rejected at CLS. So take that with a grain of salt.

PS - if a subway/cab ride curtails how much you go out, you weren't that committed to it in the first place.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:06 pm

Sogui wrote:I gave up an extra $75k at NYU to attend CLS for $50k

My verdict will be in once EIP is over and I know where I'm working next summer, otherwise the only thing I think was 'understated' for me was location. I hate bars and would not want NYU for the easier access to bars, but the proximity to so many different food and shopping options is a factor that didn't quite strike me until I started living here. If you want to do anything 'interesting' around Columbia, it probably means getting on a 20min+ subway ride... which curtails just how much 'going out' you'll end up doing. The average NYU 1L is going to see a lot more of New York than all but the most adventurous CLS 1L's

Incorrect. There's Harlem, Central Park, the UWS and the beautiful Riverside Park within walking distance. As someone who loves going out to bars (especially dive bars), I've really enjoyed exploring all of the cool places up here. It's also a LOT cheaper than the LES, which is usually filled with tourists and underage students. Furthermore, I don't know what you're doing with your free time, but lots of my fellow CLS-ers and I go downtown at least once a week.
Last edited by Lem37 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:10 pm

Lem37 wrote:

Incorrect. There's Harlem, Central Park, the UWS and the beautiful Riverside Park within walking distance. As someone who loves going out to bars (especially dive bars), I've really enjoyed exploring all of the cool places up here. It's also a LOT cheaper than the LES, which is usually filled with tourists and underage students. Furthermore, I don't know what you're doing with your free time, but lots of my fellow CLS-ers and I go downtown at least once a week.

I say this in every thread about NYU vs Columbia(and I think already in this thread) but the area around Columbia is really nice. You can get a lot better housing for less money and the parks are lovely. I live up here and commute down to NYU. I go downtown socially plenty(hell the money I save on rent vs what I paid last year downtown alone pays for how ever many drunk cab rides I may take home). Columbia's neighbourhood is, in my mind, a LOT nicer than the one around NYU.

Not that I don't love NYU but I did not go there because of the area its in. I love it despite that not because of it.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:17 pm

Also, I would beware the "verdict" of a 1L whose opinion of his law school appears to be based 99% on EIP job prospects, particularly when it comes to matters involving "fun" and "drinking."

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:21 pm

How much more expensive is CLS than Nyu?

glitched

Postby glitched » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:22 pm

Lem37 wrote:Incorrect. There's Harlem, Central Park, the UWS and the beautiful Riverside Park within walking distance. As someone who loves going out to bars (especially dive bars), I've really enjoyed exploring all of the cool places up here. It's also a LOT cheaper than the LES, which is usually filled with tourists and underage students. Furthermore, I don't know what you're doing with your free time, but lots of my fellow CLS-ers and I go downtown at least once a week.

this pretty much describes exactly what i want. i honestly prefer the touristy stuff to be at about 20 minutes away. price is a big deal to me too.

heres to hoping.

holborn

Postby holborn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Lem37 wrote:Also, I would beware the "verdict" of a 1L whose opinion of his law school appears to be based 99% on EIP job prospects, particularly when it comes to matters involving "fun" and "drinking."

HAHA +1. I'm at columbia (1L), so I can also take questions. But i do have to say Lem's response to this is fantastic.

holborn

Postby holborn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Curry wrote:How much more expensive is CLS than Nyu?

I didn't look this up first (and honestly this info can just be found on their websites), but I believe columbia is only slightly more expensive then NYU in terms of tuition. Which ends up being more expensive comes down to housing, lifestyle, scholarships, etc. If you want to live in school provided housing I guarantee that columbia would be cheaper. (Columbia you can get university apartment housing for as low as $800, most people are right around $1000. I believe mercer at NYU is upwards of $1500). However, if you're planning on living in brooklyn regardless, then the school with the lower base tuition would be cheaper.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:17 pm

holborn wrote:

I didn't look this up first (and honestly this info can just be found on their websites), but I believe columbia is only slightly more expensive then NYU in terms of tuition. Which ends up being more expensive comes down to housing, lifestyle, scholarships, etc. If you want to live in school provided housing I guarantee that columbia would be cheaper. (Columbia you can get university apartment housing for as low as $800, most people are right around $1000. I believe mercer at NYU is upwards of $1500). However, if you're planning on living in brooklyn regardless, then the school with the lower base tuition would be cheaper.

When I started school 1 1/2 yrs ago, NYU was the most expensive school in America by COA, and CLS was the most expensive by tuition alone. They're both outrageously expensive, and basically the same.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Renzo wrote:
holborn wrote:

When I started school 1 1/2 yrs ago, NYU was the most expensive school in America by COA, and CLS was the most expensive by tuition alone. They're both outrageously expensive, and basically the same.

Sometimes this really scares me. Wondering if this much debt is actually worth it..

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Lem37 wrote:

TITCR. There's a lot fun stuff to do downtown but you can have a perfectly wonderful time near CLS. Shopping can be a pain (nothing more annoying than taking a 20 minute subway ride to buy shoes and they don't have your size when you get there), but that's why they made Amazon. Plus, you're going to be studying (probably too much) during your 1L year. And when you do have time, there's something nice about being able to leave the chaos rather than having MacDougal street (and many of the associated d-bags) in your face all the time.

IndyHCKM

Postby IndyHCKM » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:21 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

TITCR. There's a lot fun stuff to do downtown but you can have a perfectly wonderful time near CLS. Shopping can be a pain (nothing more annoying than taking a 20 minute subway ride to buy shoes and they don't have your size when you get there), but that's why they made Amazon. Plus, you're going to be studying (probably too much) during your 1L year. And when you do have time, there's something nice about being able to leave the chaos rather than having MacDougal street (and many of the associated d-bags) in your face all the time.

This part of the conversation seems promising. I have a few questions about transit times, all by means of the subway. I visited both NYU and Columbia several years ago, but I don't remember transit times. Maybe these questions are pointless and could all be answered by a simple estimate of how long it takes once you're inside the subway system, but I figured it was worth a shot. I'm basically throwing out some disparate places I spent time at and enjoyed. If you that are in NYC think this is misguided and that I should be asking different questions about transit, please, fill me in on what you think I should be wondering about, instead of answering the questions below.

1. How long from Columbia/NYU to Battery Park (or the southern tip of the island)?
2. How long from Columbia/NYU to Times Square?
3. How long from Columbia/NYU to the UN?
4. How long from Columbia to NYU?
5. How long from Columbia/NYU to the Met?
6. How long from NYU to the South End of Central Park?

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:15 pm

IndyHCKM wrote:
KG_CalGuy wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

This part of the conversation seems promising. I have a few questions about transit times, all by means of the subway. I visited both NYU and Columbia several years ago, but I don't remember transit times. Maybe these questions are pointless and could all be answered by a simple estimate of how long it takes once you're inside the subway system, but I figured it was worth a shot. I'm basically throwing out some disparate places I spent time at and enjoyed. If you that are in NYC think this is misguided and that I should be asking different questions about transit, please, fill me in on what you think I should be wondering about, instead of answering the questions below.

1. How long from Columbia/NYU to Battery Park (or the southern tip of the island)?
2. How long from Columbia/NYU to Times Square?
3. How long from Columbia/NYU to the UN?
4. How long from Columbia to NYU?
5. How long from Columbia/NYU to the Met?
6. How long from NYU to the South End of Central Park?

http://www.hopstop.com

Voila.

IndyHCKM

Postby IndyHCKM » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:25 pm

Lem37 wrote:http://www.hopstop.com

Voila.

Wow. Excellent, thank you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”