NYU vs Columbia comparison

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rockspaperjesus

Re: NYU vs Columbia comparison

Postby rockspaperjesus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:01 pm

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm sensing a little NYU insecurity here. Every NYU poster seems to claim that NYU is amazing and CLS pales in comparison, despite each assertion subsequently conceding to "not really knowing much about CLS" anyway. The only people I've heard actually complain about Columbia are NYU students, which seems a little silly. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I've read very few negative comments from Columbia students themselves. If the worst thing being said about Columbia is that NYU students are happy at NYU...I'm not too convinced...

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:10 pm

rockspaperjesus wrote:I don't know if it's just me, but I'm sensing a little NYU insecurity here. Every NYU poster seems to claim that NYU is amazing and CLS pales in comparison, despite each assertion subsequently conceding to "not really knowing much about CLS" anyway. The only people I've heard actually complain about Columbia are NYU students, which seems a little silly. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I've read very few negative comments from Columbia students themselves. If the worst thing being said about Columbia is that NYU students are happy at NYU...I'm not too convinced...

Keep in mind that law students know as little as you do about the schools that they don't attend. That's what makes this whole discussion kind of futile.

rockspaperjesus

Postby rockspaperjesus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:15 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
rockspaperjesus wrote:I don't know if it's just me, but I'm sensing a little NYU insecurity here. Every NYU poster seems to claim that NYU is amazing and CLS pales in comparison, despite each assertion subsequently conceding to "not really knowing much about CLS" anyway. The only people I've heard actually complain about Columbia are NYU students, which seems a little silly. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I've read very few negative comments from Columbia students themselves. If the worst thing being said about Columbia is that NYU students are happy at NYU...I'm not too convinced...

Keep in mind that law students know as little as you do about the schools that they don't attend. That's what makes this whole discussion kind of futile.

Yeah I get that, which is why I'm kind of confused that the only people who seem to be talking about Columbia are students at NYU.

glitched

Postby glitched » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:25 pm

usnwr already did the work for us. just wait for the new rankings.

(insert reggaeton horn here)

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:44 pm

rockspaperjesus wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Yeah I get that, which is why I'm kind of confused that the only people who seem to be talking about Columbia are students at NYU.

I only got that from one NYU poster ITT? Maybe I'm reading over them too quickly.

Anyhow, I think people (myself included) feel the need to justify their decision to pick a lower ranked / non-ivy school, even if all the material criteria point to it. That need is made particularly pronounced by the nature of this website.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:48 pm

You mind substantiating that? There was only 1 NYU poster who ragged on CLS. All others have essentially said "both schools are great schools, I'm happy @ NYU and the QOL is great, it comes down to where you feel you fit in best." I don't see any insecurities there. I'm also pretty sure every NYU poster (except for one) has pointed out the fact they they really can only have an opinion about NYU because that's where the go to school.

rockspaperjesus

Postby rockspaperjesus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:51 pm

ahduth wrote:
rockspaperjesus wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

I only got that from one NYU poster ITT? Maybe I'm reading over them too quickly.

Anyhow, I think people (myself included) feel the need to justify their decision to pick a lower ranked / non-ivy school, even if all the material criteria point to it. That need is made particularly pronounced by the nature of this website.

I'm pretty sure I read more than a few here, but maybe they are more scattered throughout the site than I thought. I get the seeming need for justification, I just don't understand why people are using their own internal justification for their decision to sway those who have not yet decided. The conversation just seems a bit one-sided, focused primarily on NYU students distaste for Columbia.

Anyway, not intending to argue or anything, perhaps I missed some comments that would have filled in the gaps.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:13 pm

This is hyperbole, but there is a grain of truth in the assertion that some NYUers are a bit insecure about being "just as good" as CLS. But (some) students at both schools have this crazy insecurity; at NYU it manifests by people protesting a little too much about how the schools are equals. At CLS, the opposite is true; (some) students have a deep-seated need to believe that their exalted Ivy prestige sets them apart, and they are peers only to fellow Ivies Harvard and Yale, not to some mere common school like NYU.

Both sets of partisans are equally annoying.

rockspaperjesus

Postby rockspaperjesus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:30 pm

Renzo wrote:

This is hyperbole, but there is a grain of truth in the assertion that some NYUers are a bit insecure about being "just as good" as CLS. But (some) students at both schools have this crazy insecurity; at NYU it manifests by people protesting a little too much about how the schools are equals. At CLS, the opposite is true; (some) students have a deep-seated need to believe that their exalted Ivy prestige sets them apart, and they are peers only to fellow Ivies Harvard and Yale, not to some mere common school like NYU.

Both sets of partisans are equally annoying.

I didn't mean to imply that any of this is true of the entire student body...I don't go to either school so I have no idea. I just got that sense from a few comments that seemed to be trying a little too hard to say "I LOVE being at NYU, I've never heard about anyone at Columbia feeling that way!!" Perhaps I was reading too much into it.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Just to add, even the student who called me about NYU after I got in, threw multiple unwarranted shots at CLS. It was semi-annoying. This was awhile back, but still. It does add to the idea that they are trying to prove something to me.

jcn4

Postby jcn4 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:21 pm

It's important to remember that a couple years ago NYU was #4 and CLS was #5, so it's possible that the current students who are ragging on CLSers for being too prestige-conscious were actually choosing the higher-ranked school.

sandaltan

Postby sandaltan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:03 pm

the amount of douche in this thread is over 9000.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:18 pm

sandaltan wrote:the amount of douche in this thread is over 9000.

NYU IS BETTER THAN ANY SCHOOL! CLS SUCKS BAWLS!

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:52 am

Yet another NYU 1L here. I don't think you should stress too much about this decision, there's no bad choice. I love where I am. I've had teachers ranging from good to awesome (we don't seem to have the greatest torts profs but torts should just be abolished anyway) and my fellow students are laid back and cool and generally fun to be around. That's probably true of Columbia too though, so really don't sweat the decision. If you do come here though, get Daryl Levinson for Con Law, he's awesome.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:26 am

Tautology wrote:If you do come here though, get Daryl Levinson for Con Law, he's awesome.

Do you get to pick your profs for your core courses?

Actually that question goes for both CLS and NYU.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:26 pm

ahduth wrote:
Tautology wrote:If you do come here though, get Daryl Levinson for Con Law, he's awesome.

Not at NYU. In the Spring you get to choose one elective. Some elective may have more than one class being taught by different professors (Property), but most electives are only one class taught by a single professor.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:17 pm

I, uh, would have a different opinion on Levinson, fwiw. The best thing you can do is to read class evals for the professors teaching the electives and try to find the one who suits your style. I may or may not have completely missed the part where it said that Levinson's classes are all lecture, all the time.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:26 pm

No way wait til 2L and take Yoshino.

(re: core classes you can effectively chose your prof for con and property by waiting to take them 2L or in the case of con law 3L). Torts, crim, civ pro, Ks and admin you get no choice.

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:27 pm

abovethelaw wrote an entry on how nyu grades aren't coming out. lol is this true? *Edit

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:39 pm

glitched wrote:abovethelaw wrote an entry on how nyu grades aren't coming out. lol is this true? *Edit

I was in that property class and yes it is true that we don't have grades. I'm not really sure it is worthy of an ATL post though, annoying as it is.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:43 pm

ahduth wrote:

CLS 2L here. You don't choose your professors or schedule for your 1L year - you're essentially assigned to a "track" of 1Ls who all take the same courses together. Your "track" switches 2nd semester, which allows you to meet more of your classmates. It's actually pretty nice! :)

EDIT: I also just joined the thread, and would be happy to answer any CLS-related concerns. I posted in another thread about common stereotypes re: "Morningside Heights is boring" and "CLS kids are corporate tools and NYU is all for PI," so I'd prefer just to link to that post than answer those questions again: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=131285&p=3946608#p3946608

I'd like to note that both CLS and NYU are wonderful schools. I answer why I chose CLS over NYU in the above thread. However, it can be extremely exhausting to battle the aforementioned stereotypes about CLS that seem to proliferate around this time of year, so all I'd suggest is that you visit both schools and see where you feel more comfortable.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:08 am

glitched wrote:abovethelaw wrote an entry on how nyu grades aren't coming out. lol is this true? *Edit

I've had my grades since like the third week of January. ATL just takes things and blows them out of proportion.

ShakeDemHatersOff

Postby ShakeDemHatersOff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:04 am

I love my time here in Columbia dude and love the profs and students.

Unlike NYU students who feel the need to validate some make believe choice they think they made between NYU and Columbia, most us CLS don't feel the need because its self-evident.

ShakeDemHatersOff

Postby ShakeDemHatersOff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:09 am

rockspaperjesus wrote:I'm pretty sure I read more than a few here, but maybe they are more scattered throughout the site than I thought. I get the seeming need for justification, I just don't understand why people are using their own internal justification for their decision to sway those who have not yet decided. The conversation just seems a bit one-sided, focused primarily on NYU students distaste for Columbia.

Anyway, not intending to argue or anything, perhaps I missed some comments that would have filled in the gaps.

its envy of getting passed over by the hotter girl

most NYU students wanted to come to CLS and got denied so they have deluded themselves into thinkiing they never wanted CLS and that NYU is better

I've noticed the same phenomenon here at CLS with regard to HLS

and I'm sure the same might be happening at HLS with regard to YLS

pretty much everyone at these school are prestige obsessed strivers who value their worth as people by what some piece of paper says they are worth

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:48 am

ShakeDemHatersOff wrote:
rockspaperjesus wrote:I'm pretty sure I read more than a few here, but maybe they are more scattered throughout the site than I thought. I get the seeming need for justification, I just don't understand why people are using their own internal justification for their decision to sway those who have not yet decided. The conversation just seems a bit one-sided, focused primarily on NYU students distaste for Columbia.

its envy of getting passed over by the hotter girl

most NYU students wanted to come to CLS and got denied so they have deluded themselves into thinkiing they never wanted CLS and that NYU is better

I've noticed the same phenomenon here at CLS with regard to HLS

and I'm sure the same might be happening at HLS with regard to YLS

pretty much everyone at these school are prestige obsessed strivers who value their worth as people by what some piece of paper says they are worth

Guys, please don't let this type of attitude turn you off to CLS. I'm sure that most of the students at NYU simply preferred that school to CLS.

That said, the grain of truth in this guy's posts is that, save around interview season (when the spirit of competition reigns), CLS kids really don't engage in any NYU-CLS comparison or NYU-bashing. We really don't care about these things.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”