URichmond or AmericanU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Richmond or American?

Richmond
29%
American
71%

Total votes: 17

ps1187

URichmond or AmericanU

Postby ps1187 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:26 am

So richmond and american look like my only two options at the moment. Schollys aren't out yet, but assuming they're roughly equal, which should I chose?
Career goal: high starting salary, no geographic preference.

Also, significant savings from working a few years means that I wouldn't have to borrow much.

snapdragon

Re: URichmond or AmericanU

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:19 pm

I hate to be like a parrot, but they're both risky choices IMO. American is behind UVA, GULC, GW and all the T14 for DC jobs (plus students from GMU, Catholic, UDC and a fair number from W&M and W&L). Richmond is behind UVA, W&M, W&L and GMU for the state of VA. Richmond does apparently have a good name in the city of Richmond, but, if by highest starting salary you mean big law, then I'd really advise re-taking and trying at least to get a shot at GMU and W&M if you're in-state VA.

If it's a cake or death sort of situation, I'd say Richmond wins out over American.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:29 pm

Advice:
1. Read the NYT article on law schools.... if still want to be lawyer...
2. Retake... if still want to be a lawyer...
3. Go to American.

According to the IBR and gov student debt, your debt is limited to a percentage of your income no more than 10-15% and it gets completely erased in 25 years or 10 years if you work for a non profit.

American places biglaw/midlaw/biggov slightly better than Richmond. So the upside for American is a little higher. The costs don't really matter because the costs are going to be pretty similar at both places and if you get temp doc review, which is likely going to happen at both places, you will be unlikely to be able to pay back the debt anyways.

American: 42x3 + 40k living= ~166k
Richmond:32kx3+ 30k living= ~126k

Both amounts are going to be much more than you will be able to pay if you do not get biglaw/midlaw/biggov. The upside is a little higher at American since more people get biglaw/biggov/midlaw. The downside is about the same for both schools. There is also a slightly higher upside in terms of opportunities to transfer out from American. However, don't put too much weight on that.

So the best thing to do is go to american and then work for a non profit if you do not get biglaw/biggov/midlaw.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:53 pm

thexfactor wrote: So the best thing to do is go to american and then work for a non profit if you do not get biglaw/biggov/midlaw.

Because getting nonprofit jobs are really easy? Spare OP the BS. Public Interest jobs, especially ones that pay, are extraordinarily competitive. The entry level public interest positions are few and far between and there is stiff competition to get them.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:01 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
thexfactor wrote: So the best thing to do is go to american and then work for a non profit if you do not get biglaw/biggov/midlaw.

Because getting nonprofit jobs are really easy? Spare OP the BS. Public Interest jobs, especially ones that pay, are extraordinarily competitive. The entry level public interest positions are few and far between and there is stiff competition to get them.

i bet it is less competitive than biglaw......

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:09 pm

thexfactor wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

i bet it is less competitive than biglaw......

That doesn't change my point - by the same token, getting a federal district court clerkship is less competitive than getting a federal COA clerkship.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:46 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

lol@vam arguing a point that thex didn't make.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:53 pm

androstan wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Implicit in thexfactor's argument was that if you do not get biglaw/biggov/midlaw then working for a nonprofit could be a viable backup.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:54 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
androstan wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Implicit in thexfactor's argument was that if you do not get biglaw/biggov/midlaw then working for a nonprofit could be a viable backup.

Do you think working for a nonprofit could not be a viable backup, i.e. impossible?

Thex just said if you don't get big/mid law or biggov then another good option is nonprofit work. His assumption is that OP would pursue the former first and the latter second.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:27 pm

androstan wrote:
Do you think working for a nonprofit could not be a viable backup, i.e. impossible?

Thex just said if you don't get big/mid law or biggov then another good option is nonprofit work. His assumption is that OP would pursue the former first and the latter second.

Right, but public interest work is competitive as well. Thus, it doesn't really work as backup plan.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:48 pm

If high starting salary is your goal, you will almost certainly be disappointed if you go to either school. That isn't a knock on the educational quality of either school, it's just reality. Either reevaluate your goals, hope you get a large scholarship that minimizes your risk, or retake.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”