Notre Dame or Boston College?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lincolnadams74

Notre Dame or Boston College?

Postby lincolnadams74 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:29 am

Notre Dame and Boston College -- I have offers from both, but currently no financial aid offers. I don't consider myself Christian, but I am fine with the fact that both are Catholic schools.

I want to become a corporate lawyer or an attorney at a private firm. Obviously, I want a starting salary as high as possible after graduation.

US News has ND ranked tied for 22nd and BC tied for 28th, if I am not mistaken. In my mind, BC has a superior geographic location in terms of salary, and possibly employment prospects, on the East Coast. Yet, ND has the higher ranking.

I am fine with the higher cost of living that the East Coast involves. I am leaning toward BC on the idea that the East Coast would be better suited to my professional goals. However, I am cautious because ND evidently has the superior reputation. I am not opposed to establishing myself in the Midwest, but it seems that the salaries generally are lower there, relative to the Boston/New York region.

I do understand that ultimately the amount of money I make, and what job I can get, depends on many variables, like grades, interviewing skills, employment history, networking, persistence in the job hunt, summer jobs, etc.

I would prefer to study and work on the East Coast, but in the end I want to go where the jobs and money are. ND's higher ranking is making the decision somewhat difficult for me, because I have been leaning toward BC because of its location. Please offer your thoughts. Thanks.

ndirish2014

Re: Notre Dame or Boston College?

Postby ndirish2014 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:13 am

I love both schools. As an east coast guy myself i have alot of respect of BC and know how highly regarded it is in the NE. However, I think it all comes down to money and geographic location. If you want to work in the NE (esp Boston) then BC is the obvious choice. If you want an opportunity to practice in the midwest or the west coast, choose ND.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:07 am

I would advise against either at sticker price, but BC is a much better option.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:32 am

In before someone tells you it depends on where you want to work after graduation, even though you addressed that in your post.

In terms of your question, I've been reading a lot recently about networking during law school in the market where you want to work. It's a lot easier to network with Boston lawyers when you go to BC than it is to network with Chicago lawyers from South Bend.

On the other hand, Notre Dame football games would be more fun than Boston College football games.

It sure is a close one.

JimHalpert

Postby JimHalpert » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:57 am

Bumi wrote:In before someone tells you it depends on where you want to work after graduation, even though you addressed that in your post.

In terms of your question, I've been reading a lot recently about networking during law school in the market where you want to work. It's a lot easier to network with Boston lawyers when you go to BC than it is to network with Chicago lawyers from South Bend.

On the other hand, Notre Dame football games would be more fun than Boston College football games.

It sure is a close one.

I'd rather /self than live in South Bend for three years. They are peer schools, but one is right outside an amazing city. Easy choice IMO.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 am

Definitely Boston College.

ndirish2014

Postby ndirish2014 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:54 am

Just out of curiosity, why definitely BC?

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:58 am

ndirish2014 wrote:Just out of curiosity, why definitely BC?

1. He wants to practice on the east coast. He even prefers BC because of its location
2. Better job prospects because it's in a major market

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 am

If you want to put in the effort, this is more of a money issue. If you want to practice in the NE, BC will make things easier. However, if ND greases your wheels with more cash then you might want to strongly consider it if you're willing to put in the extra recruiting effort that it takes to land something on the East Coast. Before law school, I worked for a big firm in Boston and there were a few NDLS guys there.

Also, don't choose an area because of market rate. Other factors (living, taxes, etc) heavily influence the salaries such that an associate at a big firm nets the same pretty much wherever they are. Look for areas that you can legitimately see yourself in 10 years. I'm also skeptical that all of the jobs are on the East Coast, but that's a question better addressed in other postings.

Edit: Full disclosure, I'm a 2L at BCLS.

Informative

Postby Informative » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:14 am

If you want to work in the northeast, you really want to go to a school in the northeast (unless you are at one of the t14 schools). While there are obvious exceptions to this, the rule still holds that law schools outside of the T14 are largely regional.

If you want to work in Chicago, Indianapolis, maybe Minnesota, you should go to ND. If you want to work in New York or Boston, go to BC.

If you don't care, I would go wherever you feel the most comfortable.

BigLaw stats favor BC: http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... kings.html

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:35 am

lincolnadams74 wrote:I would prefer to study and work on the East Coast, but in the end I want to go where the jobs and money are.

Bumi wrote:In before someone tells you it depends on where you want to work after graduation, even though you addressed that in your post.

Informative wrote:If you want to work in Chicago, Indianapolis, maybe Minnesota, you should go to ND. If you want to work in New York or Boston, go to BC.

It never fails in these threads.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:40 am

BC.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:42 am

Bumi wrote:
lincolnadams74 wrote:I would prefer to study and work on the East Coast, but in the end I want to go where the jobs and money are.

Informative wrote:If you want to work in Chicago, Indianapolis, maybe Minnesota, you should go to ND. If you want to work in New York or Boston, go to BC.

It never fails in these threads.

+1 Ha! I'd say go where there's a strong alumni presence. They're a huge reason kids get jobs.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:48 am

Informative wrote:If you want to work in the northeast, you really want to go to a school in the northeast (unless you are at one of the t14 schools). While there are obvious exceptions to this, the rule still holds that law schools outside of the T14 are largely regional.

If you want to work in Chicago, Indianapolis, maybe Minnesota, you should go to ND. If you want to work in New York or Boston, go to BC.

If you don't care, I would go wherever you feel the most comfortable.

BigLaw stats favor BC: http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... kings.html

That's an interesting stat. So about half of the kids going private sector at BC get NLJ 250 gigs. I'd like to see rankings based on V100.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Informative wrote: law schools outside of the T14 are largely regional.

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:33 pm

definitely BC. its a great school ( i went undergrad) and the football games are definitely DEFINITELY as much fun as there are in ND. Boston is a great city and I've been to South Bend. not so much going on.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:39 pm

I am in a unique situation, having gone to both BC and Notre Dame. I am currently a 1L at NDLS and I graudated ND undergrad in 2010, but I transferred from BC after spending my freshman year there. First, I'd like to say that there is absolutely no comparison between football atmospheres at BC and ND. Also, I'm pretty tired of people on these forums trashing South Bend to no end. I've lived here for almost four years now and the only thing I've ever complained about is the weather. To be sure, Newton/Chestnut Hill is a nice area and you're right next to a great city, but don't let that force you to choose BC unless you want to practice in Boston (in which case this really isn't a question). ND has quite a few people in midlaw firms throughout the Midwest and a decent presence in Biglaw in Chicago. Pre-recession we were getting nearly 30% of our class into NLJ 250s...it will probably be down to 1/5th now but our extremely loyal alumni network can't be understated. Plus, the COL in South Bend is unbelievably cheap (I live by myself and pay $600/mo with all utilities included in a 400 square foot apartment), especially compared to Newton/Brighton/Boston. Pretty much if you don't have to work in the Northeast, and BC doesn't offer you a bigger scholarship, I would choose ND. If you must have a job on the I95 corridor, choose BC.

Take my biased opinion for what it's worth.

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:38 pm

Take ranking out of your decision. There is no difference between being ranked 28th and 22nd, especially given that both schools serve different markets. Pretend that they have the same ranking, and understand that they are regional schools with strong reputations in their respective markets.

lincolnadams74

Postby lincolnadams74 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks to everyone for sharing their opinions. If anyone else out there has any advice for me, please keep posting or PM me. Thanks.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”